Google makes YouTube much slower for Firefox and Edge

GoodBytes
1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

I'm not noticing anything substantial on my end. It's slightly faster on Chrome, but not by anything huge. But I'll always stick with Firefox, because I'm already pissed that I use Google/Youtube/Gmail and I'll avoid using them anywhere I can. It's almost tempting to switch to iPhone just to get further away from Google. Almost...

I'm using Edge and I've experiencing odd things like... text just lagging as I type in the search box, and comments, video description, and suggestion boxes taking almost 10 seconds to load.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/81453-bluechinchillaeatingdorito/?status=203308&type=status

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont see how this is a problem. Chrome has its own API for accelerated loading on chrome but other browsers dont have it. How is this "monopolizing".

It's not their own API, it's an old deprecated standard that no one should really be using if possible. Hence why Edge and Firefox doesn't support it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's not their own API, it's an old deprecated standard that no one should really be using if possible. Hence why Edge and Firefox doesn't support it. 

Ok but even if its not their own they are still developing for their browser. Too bad so sad another browser isnt as efficient? I dont the argument here. I mean fuck, cant even run 4k netflix on anything besides edge. This is not uncommon.

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ok but even if its not their own they are still developing for their browser. Too bad so sad another browser isnt as efficient? I dont the argument here. I mean fuck, cant even run 4k netflix on anything besides edge. This is not uncommon.

Web pages are NOT SUPPOSED to be browser specific. Using a deprecated version-zero API to develop a NEW version of a web page, a redesign which is noticeably crap on non-Google browsers, is a shady-as-fuck thing to do. Especially when the EU literally JUST fined them $5 billion for antitrust violations regarding Android and force-bundled Google products.

16 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So you have no problem with NVIDIA GameWorks?

Also Netflix isn't actively advertising that people use Edge. Google likes to make jabs that people should use Chrome whenever you visit a Google owned website.

3 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Web pages are NOT SUPPOSED to be browser specific. Using a deprecated version-zero API to develop a NEW version of a web page, a redesign which is noticeably crap on non-Google browsers, is a shady-as-fuck thing to do. Especially when the EU literally JUST fined them $5 billion for antitrust violations regarding Android and force-bundled Google products.

You act like a lot of sites dont do this. 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So you have no problem with NVIDIA GameWorks?

No, I have no problem with companies developing for their own and only their own product. If it doesnt work as well or at all on something else, fuck em. Its not their responsibility.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

You act like a lot of sites dont do this. 

Because they don't?

Your example with Netflix and 4K is not relevant; Firefox and most of the FOSS community being insistently (and correctly) against using PlayReady DRM is not equivalent to this situation.

Google purposefully using a self-developed-and-obsolete API to develop a new YouTube design, where the API is only correctly supported in Google's browser and no others, with no other option for improving performance but to install Google Chrome, is not proper. And, by legal precedent, it's an antitrust violation. Nvidia is equally as guilty of antitrust violation with GameWorks. You aren't allowed to willfully quash (or attempt to quash) competitors to seize greater market share.

4 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Because they don't?

Your example with Netflix and 4K is not relevant; Firefox and most of the FOSS community being insistently (and correctly) against using PlayReady DRM is not equivalent to this situation.

Google purposefully using a self-developed-and-obsolete API to develop a new YouTube design, where the API is only correctly supported in Google's browser and no others, with no other option for improving performance but to install Google Chrome, is not proper. And, by legal precedent, it's an antitrust violation. Nvidia is equally as guilty of antitrust violation with GameWorks. You aren't allowed to willfully quash (or attempt to quash) competitors to seize greater market share.

Hows the Netflix situation not relevant? It a site Netflix allow better performance on one and only one browser. 

People get too uppity when a company does something that benefits their company. 

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Google is quite notorious for one.

Hide contents

5b58a8a242405_Screenshot(241).thumb.png.db738ec11126ec2a4c903df019437951.png5b58a8a674830_Screenshot(242).thumb.png.3b44b16ed4bc59ed636c75dad89d3b4c.png

Granted Microsoft does something similar :P

Hide contents

5b58a8af8822c_Screenshot(243).thumb.png.9a89335b5c0f0b92995ca07364d80730.png

You know what, it's like Microsoft actually know that most of bings traffic comes from downloading other web browsers...

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

I'm not noticing anything substantial on my end. It's slightly faster on Chrome, but not by anything huge. But I'll always stick with Firefox, because I'm already pissed that I use Google/Youtube/Gmail and I'll avoid using them anywhere I can. It's almost tempting to switch to iPhone just to get further away from Google. Almost...

From my experience with a slower machine the difference is noticeable, most of the page will take 10+ seconds to load and the CPU will not drop below 50% for 30 seconds.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Hows the Netflix situation not relevant? It a site Netflix allow better performance on one and only one browser.

This is the point you're missing: Netflix is not owned by Microsoft. Edge is not developed by Netflix. The Netflix website and UWP Netflix App are not developed by Microsoft.

Netflix made the decision to use PlayReady 3.0. PlayReady is only supported by Edge and the UWP framework (along with streaming platforms like the fire stick, chromecast, roku, etc). Firefox and Chrome don't support PlayReady, presumably because they did not want to pay Microsoft a fee for the libraries, so they instead support Widevine DRM.

If Microsoft owned Netflix it'd be a different story. But that's not the case.

In this case, YouTube is owned by Google. Chrome is developed by Google. YouTube is developed by Google. This should be an obvious difference.

4 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Because they don't?

What are you being serious it is equivalent PlayReady DRM is Microsoft's DRM so yeah they are doing the same thing. Also nothing is stopping other browsers from using that API. 

One bonus about using Opera is that in situations like this Opera is most likely not affected, but it still isn't chrome.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

At this point, I am almost certain it is because of how Google is handling the development of the Polymer project

26 minutes ago, Mihle said:

One bonus about using Opera is that in situations like this Opera us most likely not affected, but it still isn't chrome.

So far Google  doesn't care about Opera or other web browsers as they are not a competitor to them, their market share is too low.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

YouTube is still a sluggish piece of shit on Chrome, so Google pranked themselves.

Youtube is a bit of a heavy load for my Atom tablet to handle. The video decoding (in Edge) is no problem, but just having Youtube open consumes about 50% cpu power.

My desktop couldn't care less though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Youtube is a bit of a heavy load for my Atom tablet to handle. The video decoding (in Edge) is no problem, but just having Youtube open consumes about 50% cpu power.

One thing I never really see anyone talk about involving Edge is how it handles video decoding.

From my experiences, it beats the hell out of Firefox and Chrome in that regard, especially in YouTube. A laptop that couldn't play 480p video properly in Chrome? It could do so at 720p60 (and if I really wanted to, 1080p60) on Edge.

By the way, that laptop has an AMD E1-1200. It's... uh, painful.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

One thing I never really see anyone talk about involving Edge is how it handles video decoding.

From my experiences, it beats the hell out of Firefox and Chrome in that regard, especially in YouTube. A laptop that couldn't play 480p video properly in Chrome? It could do so at 720p60 (and if I really wanted to, 1080p60) on Edge.

By the way, that laptop has an AMD E1-1200. It's... uh, painful.

Edge has no special treatment from YouTube. Edge uses a codec that support hardware acceleration so your GPU helps a lot in processing the video. Chrome and Firefox does not.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Edge has no special treatment from YouTube. Edge uses a codec that support hardware acceleration so your GPU helps a lot in processing the video.

Yeah, I know. If we were to compare, say, a 720p60 video on YouTube that was in the MP4 codec the site likes to use (298/140) on Chrome and Edge, Edge tends to have a far easier time of making use of the GPU decoding in that scenario. It's just sloppy in Chrome.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Edge has no special treatment from YouTube. Edge uses a codec that support hardware acceleration so your GPU helps a lot in processing the video. Chrome and Firefox does not.

Wrong. 

Both Chrome and Firefox absolutely, 100% support hardware accelerated video decoding. 

No idea where you got the idea the only edge does. 

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Your testing on the high end setup used the R9 Fury, hardware decoding on Firefox can be flakey on AMD cards (YouTube 1080p uses more power on my R9 290 than most games). 

Firefox definitely uses hardware decoding, I have seen Atoms run 1080p YouTube at <10% load.

19 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Try the old version, the new one pins te CPU at 100% for around 30 seconds. Someone on the previous page had an addon for it.

51 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Semi-related, but has anyone else noticed that Google Maps performance tanks with certain browser extensions? I have the Canvas Fingerprint Defender on Firefox and Google Maps constantly freezes whenever I try to do something while it's enabled.

Canvas Defender (probably a different extension) doesn't cause issues for me and also doesn't mark you out as being someone with a disabled fingerprint but rather add changeable noise.