Jump to content

Walmart may launch video streaming service

alexdf17

The article below covers the possibility of a Walmart streaming service like Netflix or Amazon video. I have a feeling that it won't do too well unless the price is a real bargain simply because of the massive competition in the market already.

 

"Walmart may be the next giant to enter the video streaming wars, according to a report from The Information. The retailer is reportedly considering launching its own video streaming service to battle Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. But Walmart wants to undercut its competition by pricing its service at $8 per month—or lower." - Ars Technica

 

Are they too late to jump on the streaming service?

 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/walmart-may-launch-a-video-streaming-service-to-battle-netflix-amazon/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

While this doesn't meet minimum post requirements. I'm pretty sure Walmart had a VERY lucrative deal with Vudu since you know... they bought Vudu on 2010.

 

Edit: Looks like it's fixed-ish now

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

But why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't really need/want more competition. Amazon already tried and paid a lot for exclusivity deals and their service hasn't really taken off. Netflix works great and is priced fairly reasonably

That's an F in the profile pic

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tesco did this in the UK with Blinkbox, that didn't turn out well!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

We don't really need/want more competition. Amazon already tried and paid a lot for exclusivity deals and their service hasn't really taken off. Netflix works great and is priced fairly reasonably

I know alot of people who use prime video. I also know alot of people who do subscriptions to channels like HBO and Showtime through them as well. I would say prime video is doing just fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I know alot of people who use prime video. I also know alot of people who do subscriptions to channels like HBO and Showtime through them as well. I would say prime video is doing just fine. 

It's doing fine but it hasn't taken off the way Netflix did which dominates the market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I know alot of people who use prime video. I also know alot of people who do subscriptions to channels like HBO and Showtime through them as well. I would say prime video is doing just fine. 

I use Prime Video all the time, there's actually some good shows and movies on there. Some of them are only limited time though so you have to catch it at the right time

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

We don't really need/want more competition. Amazon already tried and paid a lot for exclusivity deals and their service hasn't really taken off. Netflix works great and is priced fairly reasonably

I mean more competition is always better. It drives development and expansion if it's real and tough competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, alexdf17 said:

I mean more competition is always better. It drives development and expansion if it's real and tough competition.

I am not so sure about in this case. It's the platform exclusivity that is becoming an issue now. Eventually you're gonna have to subscribe to 5 6 7 different places to catch all the shows you want and its gonna get expensive and cumbersome to be using different accounts for all this crap. It's gonna become a headache for the customer if they keep up with a lot of "exclusive" stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Tesco did this in the UK with Blinkbox, that didn't turn out well!

It did? When was this? Not had a whiff of that from several of my local Tescos' lol

 Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TigerHawk said:

I am not so sure about in this case. It's the platform exclusivity that is becoming an issue now. Eventually you're gonna have to subscribe to 5 6 7 different places to catch all the shows you want and its gonna get expensive and cumbersome to be using different accounts for all this crap. It's gonna become a headache for the customer if they keep up with a lot of "exclusive" stuff.

That's a good point, I have to agree with you in that case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm honestly getting sick of all the streaming services at this point. Getting a bit out of hand xD

 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Please read this and edit accordingly

Better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, alexdf17 said:

I mean more competition is always better. It drives development and expansion if it's real and tough competition.

More competition is better to a point. There is such a thing at too much competition. Streaming service is already saturated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Noctus said:

It did? When was this? Not had a whiff of that from several of my local Tescos' lol

Well, they sold it in 2015 to TalkTalk, but they had it from 2011. I'm surprised you didn't hear of Clubcard TV /s

The only reason I even know they had it was because I got a Hudl on sale and it came preinstalled

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, alexdf17 said:

I mean more competition is always better. It drives development and expansion if it's real and tough competition.

When it comes to streaming services, competition would only be always better if all they were competing in was streaming quality, ease of use, compatibility, availability and various other quality of life features - but since they're competing in content exclusivity, competition just drives up the price consumers need to pay to legally access all of the content they want to watch. But there's only so many quality of life features you can have with a streaming service (unless you're Netflix, in which case you can just say "Fuck it." and actively make your user experience terrible), so they can only really compete with content, which makes most competition in the legal streaming market anti-consumer and annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Well, they sold it in 2015 to TalkTalk, but they had it from 2011. I'm surprised you didn't hear of Clubcard TV /s

The only reason I even know they had it was because I got a Hudl on sale and it came preinstalled

Ah okay. Well.... nothing lost on that venture i guess lol.

 Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TimeOmnivore said:

When it comes to streaming services, competition would only be always better if all they were competing in was streaming quality, ease of use, compatibility, availability and various other quality of life features - but since they're competing in content exclusivity, competition just drives up the price consumers need to pay to legally access all of the content they want to watch. But there's only so many quality of life features you can have with a streaming service (unless you're Netflix, in which case you can just say "Fuck it." and actively make your user experience terrible), so they can only really compete with content, which makes most competition in the legal streaming market anti-consumer and annoying.

100% accurate. Competition right now means you need to subscribe to netflix, hulu, HBO go, prime just to watch netflix 90% of the time and watch 1 or 2 shows on the others jacking up cost for the customer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

100% accurate. Competition right now means you need to subscribe to netflix, hulu, HBO go, prime just to watch netflix 90% of the time and watch 1 or 2 shows on the others jacking up cost for the customer. 

Everybody thinks these streaming services are stopping piracy, but if anything, they're making it worse. Literally every TV show now has it's own streaming service which costs $9.99 a month.

 

In fact, that's given me a great idea! Why don't we just have one platform where you can pay one rate to access everything instead of paying for all the different streaming services... oh wait!

 

What people don't realise is by the time they've paid for Netflix, Prime Video, Broadband etc. they're paying pretty much exactly the same if not more than if they'd just stuck with cable TV

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

they're paying pretty much exactly the same if not more than if they'd just stuck with cable TV

meh....about half...but you arent paying for ads and you cant watch what you want when you want. 

 

I get where you are coming from but its still better than cable. Just please no more streaming services!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Everybody thinks these streaming services are stopping piracy, but if anything, they're making it worse. Literally every TV show now has it's own streaming service which costs $9.99 a month.

 

In fact, that's given me a great idea! Why don't we just have one platform where you can pay one rate to access everything instead of paying for all the different streaming services... oh wait!

 

What people don't realise is by the time they've paid for Netflix, Prime Video, Broadband etc. they're paying pretty much exactly the same if not more than if they'd just stuck with cable TV

Yes because I wouldn't buy internet if I wasn't watching Netflix? Get out of here with that nonsense. I can get prime and Netflix and get everything I want for much less than cable. Also I have never liked watching cable for obvious reasons like having to watch tv shows at certain times rather than whenever I want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So in order to compete with a worldwide service like Netflix, Walmart is going to focus on the least populated parts of the US and somehow compete on subscriber growth?

 

Let me know how that works out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, offering a lower price cost compared to Amazon and Netflix is somehow Walmart's company tactics. I think they are planning to establish first their subscribers. But, the competition is also about the services offered by the streaming sites so, Walmart must meet or surpass the viewers expectations to catch-up to the popular streaming services available nowadays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×