Scrapyard wars suggestions and ideas

Message added by WkdPaul

Be aware that since we're always getting a steady flow of Scrapyard wars threads, they will now be merged here.

Linus PLEAAAAAAASE do another series of scrap yard wars like about 2 new episodes if possible, please man! i missed that show so freakin' much, i know how to build a sick pc though through that specific show, but i had lots of fun watching it back then when u used to make vids about it, so please Linus consider bringing it back to the channel, and actually it'll be amazing now for this time to bring it back on the channel. 

Thanks for ur time, i hope you're having a great day, be safe and peace out!

Sorry, but it is highly unlikely that Linus reads this post.

I would love new Scrapyard Wars season, but PC parts market is kind of f***ed right now. Not as f***ed as it was half of year ago, but still f***ed

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

The newest series is in development. It features Team @DrMacintosh going head-to-head with Team Linus to build the most powerful Apple Computer for under $200. Little plot-leak; Linus tries to cheat by using hackintosh firmware on old hardware, but can't install the kexts in time! Little bit of nostalgia involved, but stay tuned on Floatplane soon to see it. 

At this point it's all the same anyway. Yeah its fun to watch still, but kinda predicatable.

Try to find an old i7/xeon, pair it with a 980/ti, and slap some random stuff onto the case.

Unless they add some kind of spin like last season where food and transport costs were part of the budget, i cant see how it'll be any different.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

why don't LTT do a scrapyard wars where they buy/upgrade a Mac? 

rules: 

budget €1000/US$1169

no bootcamp (dual boot Windows), macOS has to be used for benchmarks too. 

no hackintosh. it has to be a genuine Mac. 

bonus points for physical condition of the Mac. 

She/Her

Not really a scrapyard when the Mac has to work. No such thing as a cheap Mac that's not beat or broken to shit. Plus. they'd both just get 2009 8-core Mac Pros and upgrade the shit out of them (12-core, 32-64GB ECC, PCIe SSD, GTX1080 etc.). 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

That's kind of dumb, the only chance they'd have at winning is probably an old Mac Pro (one of the towers with sometimes dual Xeons).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

with all my respect

its no brainier idea, what is the thing that you can upgrade in mac except ssd and ram in best cases.

CPU upgrades if possible are not worthy of scrapyard wars style

2 hours ago, RKRiley said:

At this point it's all the same anyway. Yeah its fun to watch still, but kinda predicatable.

Try to find an old i7/xeon, pair it with a 980/ti, and slap some random stuff onto the case.

Unless they add some kind of spin like last season where food and transport costs were part of the budget, i cant see how it'll be any different.

This time they're not allowed to use internet so should be a wild ride.

I ilke trains.

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Not really a scrapyard when the Mac has to work. No such thing as a cheap Mac that's not beat or broken to shit. Plus. they'd both just get 2009 8-core Mac Pros and upgrade the shit out of them (12-core, 32-64GB ECC, PCIe SSD, GTX1080 etc.). 

maybe put in the rules that they need a display and speakers too. then an imac becomes better value. 

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That's kind of dumb, the only chance they'd have at winning is probably an old Mac Pro (one of the towers with sometimes dual Xeons).

not really. if you throw productivity into the mix a 2013 i5 imac is faster than a 2006 mac pro. 

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

that's easy, the best upgrade for a Mac is to exchange it for a real PC

stop the fanboy crap please. 

1 hour ago, OmarM89 said:

with all my respect

its no brainier idea, what is the thing that you can upgrade in mac except ssd and ram in best cases.

CPU upgrades if possible are not worthy of scrapyard wars style

mac pro's (the old one's) are better than most Mac's. and i think cpu upgrades are fine for scrapyard wars. upgrading a 2006 mac pro with better cpu's is the same thing as putting a gpu in an old optiplex. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

maybe put in the rules that they need a display and speakers too. then an imac becomes better value. 

Considering you can find a FHD display for like $20-30 sometimes display isn't that big of a deal. Peripherals are also like $20 for a basic keyboard and mouse combo :) speakers can be even cheaper.

mac pro's (the old one's) are better than most Mac's. and i think cpu upgrades are fine for scrapyard wars. upgrading a 2006 mac pro with better cpu's is the same thing as putting a gpu in an old optiplex. 

I used to have a 2006 Mac Pro that I upgraded to an 8-core monster for virtualization (I went for the lower power E5345 chips) and it worked admirably with 32GB DDR2. Ran El Capitan rather well too after getting it to run that on an SSD.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

not really. if you throw productivity into the mix a 2013 i5 imac is faster than a 2006 mac pro. 

stop the fanboy crap please. 

upgrading the CPU is very popular on youtube and was done many times. its boring BTW because it wont matter much to most of people

I'd still like to see Scrapyard Wars Classic. Socket 478, 754, 939 or older, DDR RAM, IDE drives, AGP or PCI cards and no Freegeek. Make it a challenge to actually find all those parts in working condition, and do it on a budget of $150-200 CAD.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Considering you can find a FHD display for like $20-30 sometimes display isn't that big of a deal. Peripherals are also like $20 for a basic keyboard and mouse combo :) speakers can be even cheaper.

yes but a $30 display won't be anywhere near as nice as an imac display. 

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I used to have a 2006 Mac Pro that I upgraded to an 8-core monster for virtualization (I went for the lower power E5345 chips) and it worked admirably with 32GB DDR2. Ran El Capitan rather well too after getting it to run that on an SSD.

my point was i think that's fine to do in scrapyard wars. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, OmarM89 said:

upgrading the CPU is very popular on youtube and was done many times. its boring BTW because it wont matter much to most of people

why do they make reviews of Apple products then if no one's intrested in it? same logic.. 

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I'd still like to see Scrapyard Wars Classic. Socket 478, 754, 939 or older, DDR RAM, IDE drives, AGP or PCI cards and no Freegeek. Make it a challenge to actually find all those parts in working condition, and do it on a budget of $150-200 CAD.

that's a very cool idea.

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that's a very cool idea.

As a vintage PC enthusiast with working (and frequently used) Socket 478 and 939 platforms, I would absolutely watch this. I also might be one of four people who would, so there's that. Old hardware is more fun to work with. You should see the looks on people's faces as they try to figure out why BIOS doesn't recognize their IDE drive :D

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The fastest single core PC for <$200 CAD, now that would be a challenge ^_^ 

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Hey now, I think 939 is all dual cores. Not 100% sure if there are Semprons on the platform, but 939 was designed for the Athlon 64 x2

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

nah.. pentium 4 or athlon 64 and the fastest gpu for the rest of the budget.. 

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

As a vintage PC enthusiast with working (and frequently used) Socket 478 and 939 platforms, I would absolutely watch this. I also might be one of four people who would, so there's that. Old hardware is more fun to work with. You should see the looks on people's faces as they try to figure out why BIOS doesn't recognize their IDE drive :D

i don't call myself a vintage pc enthousiast.. dut i do have the following:

1998 imac g3

dual 2.0 powermac g5

pentium 3 pc

pentium 2 pc

pentium mmx pc. 

i dunno if that makes me a vintage enthousiast... 

She/Her