Google might be looking to take on Microsoft, Nintendo & Sony with a new console

Master Disaster
3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Well that is your opinion. Some people bough  a PS4 just for Uncharted. And some got it over the XBox because they preferred the online service of Sony.

You have the main point here: PlayStation has TONS of exclusives, and that is very relevant. I would like to play games like Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, The Last of Us, God of War... and thats the ones I thought about right now. IMO, Sony has the most powerful console line up of games BY FAR, and unlike Nintendo, you can also play good non-exclusives. (I had a gamecube and a wii, but nowadays for me the Nintendo games are just... not really good. Except for Zelda, Zelda is always da bomb)

The only 2 reasons I dont buy a ps4 is because it is way too expensive for me, and also i dont agree with this "exclusives" business model. But it is tempting sometimes.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I see EA having more success making a gaming console (once more) than Google.

The problem is, time and time again, that if you don't have the killer app/game, your system won't sale. Nintendo sales because of Nintendo games. Sony sales because of Sony games. Google has nothing, and making a game, is very rarely to be gone on the first shot for a company or someone that has never made a game before. Hiring experts is difficult as the big studios have them already. So finding the ones free, giving them carte blanch means that the company will get more these experts experimental games than something with guaranteed success (while still being new with innovative ideas and implementations).

All I see is another OUYA, more so than that Atari console. They might have the console nailed down, build quality, OS menus and all that to be an non issue, but the OUYA didn't fail because of that directly. It failed because it was nothing more than an Android box, essentially. It had no killer games, it had phone games. And I don't see how Google delivering phone games would help.

Nvidia tried with the Shield and it failed. Nintendo managed to make Nvidia dream a reality with the Switch, using the very same chip (essentially) of Nvidia. It brought innovation to the console space, and quality games that you can't get anywhere else.

I don't see Google being at E3 doing presentations year after year, assuming all this is true, they'll jut release it, and hope game dev will come. Maybe buy a few exclusive or time exclusives, at the start, but won't continue, and won't have a game studio under its belt.

Its easy to see why the OUYA failed at least from the hardware perspective-you could go out and buy a tablet with HDMI out that as well as being portable also had the same Tegra 3, or the far better Tegra 4.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm okay, i'll stick to PS4, Xbox and PC

Edit: And Nintendo (Switch)

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its easy to see why the OUYA failed at least from the hardware perspective-you could go out and buy a tablet with HDMI out that as well as being portable also had the same Tegra 3, or the far better Tegra 4.

Only enthusiasts new that, and while the OUYA isn't a household name, it was more well known than the Nvidia Shield tablet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

IDK, Sony's own games aren't that great it's just the 3rd party support they got after MS's horrible 2013 E3 event.

Never owned a PlayStation and basically only play. I used to play on an Xbox and Xbox 360 growing up and currently have an Xbox one that was a gift and I still have been tempted to get a ps4 just for the games. They have some of the best story driven games and if you like that then it could persuade you into getting one.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean you have Bloodborne, Uncharted, God of War/4, and plenty more.  I never got too into the Souls games myself, but tolerate them for the difficulty compared to a lot of modern games.  I did enjoy the first 3 Uncharted games, and I have played all the god of wars minus the new one, plan to pick it up.  I have a PS4 Pro Starwars Edition, an XBO S, and a gaming rig.

Honestly wish all titles were on pc. I don't really even use my Xbox one for anything more than watching twitch and Netflix.

I seriously see no point in this.

but then again the last console i bought was the xbox 360 and had it for... 3 months. Before that i had the nintendo gamecube and 64.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I see EA having more success making a gaming console (once more) than Google.

Same here.

It will probably be some kind of stationary Android device, maybe with a controller. But nothing more.

So I'd expect some kind of regular Android set top box thingy....

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Coming from good old Jason Schreier over at Kotaku it seems as though Google are trying to creep into the console market.

As said above, I wouldn't expect a real game console and more like a normal Android device in a box that you connect to your TV.

So essentially a mobile phone without the Display and the 3G/LTE/whatever Stuff. Or a tablett without the Display.

Someone wants to see something in this that isn't there.

I wonder if Google are trying to swoop in an steal market share before anyone notices?

No, because people trust Google as far as they can throw them.

They might be OK with it for mobile phones but not for game consoles.

Especially since there are better alternatives. So why bother with the Google Shit?
The only reason for it is to play the same garbage on the go with your phone and on your big screen TV...

But honestly, I don't see a real console that can compete with the XBox and PS4 from a Hardware point of view.

Something like the Nintendo switch is highly likely. And it might also be faster. But also might not.

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

IDK, Sony's own games aren't that great it's just the 3rd party support they got after MS's horrible 2013 E3 event.

No, sony always had good 3rd Party Support even when the have the shitty console.

And also the Plattform works somehow, though there are some issues like you Americans gettin the good PSN Games and we European are stuck with the utter garbage...

Besides that, Sony went a bit back to the roots and removed many of the features the PS3 had and they did not deem necessary for a game console. If you ever had a PS3 you know what I mean.

And as you said, M$ fucked the release of the XBone up with the shittier hardware and Kinect as well as the always on features. And people didn't like that. So with that Information, you can expect that people will think the same about the Google Device.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Well that is your opinion. Some people bough  a PS4 just for Uncharted. And some got it over the XBox because they preferred the online service of Sony.

Yeah, the PS4 is absolutely the better console right now.

And at this point in time there isn't really any reason for the XBox One as you can get most of the stuff on either the PS4 or the PC. There are only a tiny fraction of games 

The Exclusives are nice as well.

And the shop isn't as bad as the M$ shop with the requirement for payment options in your account for some things. Like "buying" the Games for Gold stuff...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Personally I'd be excited to see an ARM-based console with the ability to run Android apps (possibly run some version of Android TV?). It might actually get me to buy a console 

everyone > HERESY

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

56 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Never owned a PlayStation and basically only play. I used to play on an Xbox and Xbox 360 growing up and currently have an Xbox one that was a gift and I still have been tempted to get a ps4 just for the games. They have some of the best story driven games and if you like that then it could persuade you into getting one.

Yes, absolutely. The PS4 is a pretty nice console with some nice games on it. 

And  I have both, the PS4 PRO and XBox One X. While I like the PS4 Pro for what it is, I hate the XBox One X for some really stupid decisions Microsoft made.

In short. They fucked up the XBox Store in some points and require you to have Paypal or credit card informations in there...

Its the first time that I've seen this shit. No other Gaming Plattform does that.

And for the PC-Plattforms you can use a Prepaid so called "Paysafe Card". Seems like that is more like an european thingy though...

You can use those on Steam and pay with it on UPlay and Origin. And some other stores...

2 hours ago, Sypran said:

Anyone remember that Amazon console? They even bought a game studio (or made one?)

I have a feeling it's gonna be 2.0 of that..

There was an Amazon console?
Seems like I missed that.

But if you are a bit older you will remember that the console market was always a duopol with 2 major players and maybe one nice one...

In the 80s it was SEGA and Nintendo, in the 90s it was Nintendo and Sony, in the 2000s it was M$ and Sony. Nintendo survived with their Niche. Mostly that mobile stuff (DS, 3DS and now Switch. WiiU was a big mess and a failure. Because of shitty Marketing and Hardware)

So there isn't really a space for a 3rd player...

And I doubt that Google will actually do that.

Its like someone somewhere heard something and had some wishful thinking...

Wile he might be technically correct with the Term Console, it won't be what we here understand as a console. on the contary.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean aren't they traditionally the same hw, the ps4 and the s where the ps4 utilizes the GDDR5 VRAM as system memory?  I think it's just Sony doesn't want to compete with themselves, not the cost in adding it. 

The Slim Model from sony are always things that have improved manufacturing wich also reduce costs.

But with the PS4 Slim you have also one or two advantages over the Original PS4.

As far as I remember, the Slim verson does support 5GHz WLAN, the 4 does not. And according to the Interwebs its even AC Hardware (at least for the PRO).

And also you can connect a 4k TV to the Slim and the console can use the full HDMI 2.0 Bandwith. While the Original PS4 only had HDMI 1.4.

And you don't connect your screen via HDMI to the console. It is Display Port.

There is a HDMI CEC to Display Port THingy from Panasonic between the APU and the Screen.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

They did actually discontinue the og PS4, forgot about that and replaced it with the slim.  But, I don't think they changed much in terms of hw other than size.  I could be wrong about that last bit.

Yes, they always do that because of DIE shrinks 

They did the same with the Original PS3 btw.

There was already a Die Shrink to the Original PS4 (from 90 -> 65nm to 45nm on the SLim and Super Slim).

This time we only had one Shrink. From 28nm on the Original PS4 to 16nm for the Slim and PRO.

16 because it is manufactured by TSMC, not Global Foundrys.

34 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I seriously see no point in this.

but then again the last console i bought was the xbox 360 and had it for... 3 months. Before that i had the nintendo gamecube and 64.

I do

But not primarily as a game console. That is a thing that they might take with the design but its not a priority while designing this stuff...

The best thing we can hope for is something like Nintendo Switch Hardware - wich is essentially an off the shelves nVidia Tegra ARM Processor.

But I doubt that. Most probably CPU should be somthing like a mid Range Qualcomm or maybe a Samsung processor.

Something you find in some 300€ Phones or something like that.

11 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Personally I'd be excited to see an ARM-based console with the ability to run Android apps (possibly run some version of Android TV?). It might actually get me to buy a console 

everyone > HERESY

Except it won't be a "real" console. It will be a tablett without a screen.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Except it won't be a "real" console. It will be a tablett without a screen.

So what? A powerful Android TV device with high-quality games and proper controller support would be absolutely awesome. The only thing we need are powerful enough ARM CPUs - The Snapdragon 845, awesome as it is, doesn't match something like an i5

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The best thing we can hope for is something like Nintendo Switch Hardware - wich is essentially an off the shelves nVidia Tegra ARM Processor.

But I doubt that. Most probably CPU should be somthing like a mid Range Qualcomm or maybe a Samsung processor.

Something you find in some 300€ Phones or something like that.

Are you sure? Android has been ported to run on x86 CPUs and I'm sure Intel and Nvidia would LOOOVE to try to take some of AMD's market share in the console space and they could partner with Google to make the most powerful console ever

She/they 

8 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

A powerful Android TV device with high-quality games and proper controller support would be absolutely awesome.

That'd be the Nvidia Shield.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That'd be the Nvidia Shield.

True but as I said in the post below that there's always the possibility that Google will work with one of the major hardware partners to bring actual decent performance to the mainstream console market. Android-x86 is a thing, after all

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

True but as I said in the post below that there's always the possibility that Google will work with one of the major hardware partners to bring actual decent performance to the mainstream console market. Android-x86 is a thing, after all

Neither are happening. Android x86 is always a full version behind AOSP, at the minimum, has a small list of tested hardware that it's moderately stable on.

Google will do the exact same thing they've already did, as they always do, and release a shitty mid range Android TV set top box with a controller.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Popular game compatibility is a big issue. Who would buy a console without all of the major titles on it? I seriously doubt this thing would ship with any existing major console titles at all.

during the 3 seconds I distracted you with this signature, I have stolen all of your confectionaries

1 minute ago, dead_messenger said:

Popular game compatibility is a big issue. Who would buy a console without all of the major titles on it? I seriously doubt this thing would ship with any existing major console titles at all.

At this point, no one is going to buy this console even if it has all the major titles available if ANY other major console also has them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

At this point, no one is going to buy this console even if it has all the major titles available if ANY other major console also has them.

If that was the case everyone would be on PC because everything (except Detroit : Become Human :() gets released on PC. And yet...

She/they 

24 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

If that was the case everyone would be on PC because everything (except Detroit : Become Human :() gets released on PC. And yet...

There are other Games for PS4 as well.

Like Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, God of War and a couple of other, sometimes rather japanese games.

But because PS4 is X86 the port to PC is far easier than it was on the PS3.

And that is the reason you see so many titles, that were exclusives a generation ago, to come to PC. Because its easy to do so. And why not take the Market as well??

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

There are other Games for PS4 as well.

Like Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, God of War and a couple of other, sometimes rather japanese games.

But because PS4 is X86 the port to PC is far easier than it was on the PS3.

And that is the reason you see so many titles, that were exclusives a generation ago, to come to PC. Because its easy to do so. And why not take the Market as well??

All of those will come to the PC in time I suspect (except maybe Persona). Man, I am really sad that Detroit Become Human probably isn't getting a port; I'd buy that in a heartbeat

She/they 

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

All of those will come to the PC in time I suspect (except maybe Persona).

Nope because Sony is the Publisher of those games.

So the only way they come to PC is with the Playstation NOW Streaming Thingy...

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Man, I am really sad that Detroit Become Human probably isn't getting a port; I'd buy that in a heartbeat

Why not just get a console?

Sorry but the main system in your signature cost like 4-5 times what a PS4 PRO would cost. So I don't see a reason to avoid the consoles because of that...

your CPU alone cost about the same (or more) than the PS4 PRO, the Graphics card is 2-2,5 times the cost, Memory probably also somewhere in that region...

I really do not understand the adversion of "PC-Player" against "Conserleros" because from a pragmatic standpoint you can just buy a console because its not that expensive. And with the ~2 dozend or more exclusives, you don't miss anything.

And if you want to be really 1337 in consoles, you put a 2TB SSD inside. Though the benefit usually isn't that big for most games...

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Nope because Sony is the Publisher of those games.

So the only way they come to PC is with the Playstation NOW Streaming Thingy...

Why not just get a console?

Sorry but the main system in your signature cost like 4-5 times what a PS4 PRO would cost. So I don't see a reason to avoid the consoles because of that...

your CPU alone cost about the same (or more) than the PS4 PRO, the Graphics card is 2-2,5 times the cost, Memory probably also somewhere in that region...

I really do not understand the adversion of "PC-Player" against "Conserleros" because from a pragmatic standpoint you can just buy a console because its not that expensive. And with the ~2 dozend or more exclusives, you don't miss anything.

And if you want to be really 1337 in consoles, you put a 2TB SSD inside. Though the benefit usually isn't that big for most games...

Cost of games, cost of being able to play games that you purchased over the internet connection you already paid for. You're ignoring the other expenses that consoles have.

Consoles have to deal with more than just theinitial purchase price

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Consoles have to deal with more than just theinitial purchase price

Yes. price of Console and price of the Game. That's it.

At least for M$ and Sony.

For Nintendo you might want to think about the PRO Controller as well (and of course the WiiU one doesn't work).

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Cost of games, cost of being able to play games that you purchased over the internet connection you already paid for. You're ignoring the other expenses that consoles have.

Cost of the game should be obvious.

But what the hell do you mean with the rest?! 

With consoles, you can buy physical discs.

And there are no "other expenses" needed.

Power Consumption of consoles is usually way lower while gaming than on PC internet connection is recommended for d/l Patches. But that's the same for PC as well.

I don't understand your complaint...