'Mavericks' Promises 1,000 Player Battle Royale

Well with good level desing its not imposible to have 1000 players on a map, just it cant be like pubg where you can look from 1 side to half the map. Sane people uses mountains or any visual blockage to release resources , I remember on udk you can make a special wall that all that is behind its not rendered, things like that are often used, dont think that pubg is the norm, there are a ton of games that has netcode to hold more than 100 players.

googleing 30 seconds : 

Planetside 2 has gotten the furthest with having 3000-6000 players on a server

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They're gonna need quite some stuff to run this, that's for sure.

If you have 120k+ (as an example) global users at a time, what's the difference in sever support for 120 instances VS 1200 instances? Fewer larger servers vs many smaller ones? But I'm not sure what kind of server would be used it required to host 100 people, not to mention 1000.

I don't care what anyone promises any more, we've had so many broken ones. I don't give two shits till the game actually exists.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Ow I've heard about it before. The pace and length of games as well as performance and netcode is what I want to see. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

While 1000 players may seem outlandish, i feel like if they have less servers available, but more people in them, then it will account for the server strain. 

Id be more concerned with how long the matches would take

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

8 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

How are they even going to be able to run the servers at 60Hz with that many players? It probably would be like 5-10Hz and that would be unplayable.

4 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Minimum Spec: 100Mbps Connection

Recommended Spec: 1Gbps Connection

Playable Spec: Dedicated 100Gbps Fiber Backbone to server. Requires resettling to server location.

Guys, All the heavy rendering and processing is done on the client side, not server side. The servers just need a very small amount of data from each user (like location,health, etc). And for the levels, the servers don't need to render the map, just send the information about where all the map assets will be to you (during the loading screen) then your computer renders it all out for you to see. Not saying they won't need more powerful servers then say Fortnite to handle 1000 players, But the client itself only needs to transfer a small amount of data back and forth to the server. Also, if their engine is optimized well, it might not even need really powerful servers. On the flip side, if the servers can't handle it, you will just experience connection lag, not a loss in frame rate, and a faster internet connection will not fix that.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

2 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Guys, All the heavy rendering and processing is done on the client side, not server side. The servers just need a very small amount of data from each user (like location,health, etc). And for the levels, the servers don't need to render the map, just send the information about where all the map assets will be to you (during the loading screen) then your computer renders it all out for you to see. Not saying they won't need more powerful servers then say Fortnite to handle 1000 players, But the client itself only needs to transfer a small amount of data back and forth to the server. Also, if their engine is optimized well, it might not even need really powerful servers. On the flip side, if the servers can't handle it, you will just experience connection lag, not a loss in frame rate, and a faster internet connection will not fix that.

no one is talking about FPS, Hz can be used for the amount of updates the sever can give to a client. 

For example PUBG is about 20-30Hz so the player gets 30 position updates each second.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

Are they planning on hiring out all of Amazon's servers to run this?

No, they're just going to use more resources on fewer virtual servers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Yeah games use kbps of traffic. Hell the main server would only need a 50mbps.

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

no one is talking about FPS, Hz can be used for the amount of updates the sever can give to a client. 

For example PUBG is about 20-30Hz so the player gets 30 position updates each second.

Ah, I didn't know the term "Hz" is also used to explain the updates per second a server could handle. Thanks for the info!

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

12 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Ah, I didn't know the term "Hz" is also used to explain the updates per second a server could handle. Thanks for the info!

It's what is known as the "Tick rate" of the server. It's measured in Hz (cycles per second).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That was mostly server-end. I'm pretty sure Automaton will have better servers to handle this kind of mayhem.

Didn't realize these guys made deceit. Its a really interesting and fun game. I am actually looking forward to see what they can do. 

4 hours ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

4 hours ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

You may have inadvertently have found the make or break point of this game - rendering optimization.

The defining features of this game are high player count and alterations to the world i.e footprints or expended rounds. These two features mean that the engine will have to cull horrific quantities of items which are not on screen as the view distance increases.

Let us assume that on average a player will walk 1Km or ~1000 steps, shoot 60 rounds and loose 50 drops of blood. This would result in more than 1.1 million items to cull which, without clever tricks i.e. periodic scanning of components which are in range, would not be feasible to run on a CPU. If using batch calling with DX12 this may work, otherwise I think it will have to delete objects after a short time.

Note: I do not produce AAA gamesand hence my knowledge is limited.

this is stupid really

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

You may have inadvertently have found the make or break point of this game - rendering optimization.

The defining features of this game are high player count and alterations to the world i.e footprints or expended rounds. These two features mean that the engine will have to cull horrific quantities of items which are not on screen as the view distance increases.

Let us assume that on average a player will walk 1Km or ~1000 steps, shoot 60 rounds and loose 50 drops of blood. This would result in more than 1.1 million items to cull which, without clever tricks i.e. periodic scanning of components which are in range, would not be feasible to run on a CPU. If using batch calling with DX12 this may work, otherwise I think it will have to delete objects after a short time.

Note: I do not produce AAA gamesand hence my knowledge is limited.

That is 1 billion updates to clients every tick, so with 30hz server is 30 billion object positions sent a second. lets say some of those can be bundled per packet (1000) that is 30 million packets per second for 1 game instant. the fastest 1Gb router from ubiquity can do 3.5 million packets per second. the 10Gb router can do 18 million packets per second.

not sure how accurate that is to real world networking for a game server but this is a LOT of stuff to track and update networking wise. the issue is not speed of the servers but the networking.

i wonder how much it will cost

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

ae7.gif

The game's probably going to be a lagfest. If they pull this off, I'm going to be impressed tho.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

13 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

That is 1 billion updates to clients every tick, so with 30hz server is 30 billion object positions sent a second. lets say some of those can be bundled per packet (1000) that is 30 million packets per second for 1 game instant. the fastest 1Gb router from ubiquity can do 3.5 million packets per second. the 10Gb router can do 18 million packets per second.

not sure how accurate that is to real world networking for a game server but this is a LOT of stuff to track and update networking wise. the issue is not speed of the servers but the networking.

It wouldn't actually be that bad as the high count items are all static e.g footprints or spent ammo and hence only need to be transferred once.

23 hours ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Guys, All the heavy rendering and processing is done on the client side, not server side. The servers just need a very small amount of data from each user (like location,health, etc).

That is a good recipe for client side hacking if things like health, ammo or even location is on client side you can definitely use cheat like infinite ammo, god mode and fly thru. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

It wouldn't actually be that bad as the high count items are all static e.g footprints or spent ammo and hence only need to be transferred once.

fair point, but this game will have a lot more then most other big player games like PUBG, BF, ect

let me know if their servers can handle the first 2 days of launch. 

10 minutes ago, Jonnyswboy said:

Planetside 2.

How many players does that get, 200?

I honestly forget.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 6/29/2018 at 11:45 AM, Peskanova said:

Well with good level desing its not imposible to have 1000 players on a map, just it cant be like pubg where you can look from 1 side to half the map. Sane people uses mountains or any visual blockage to release resources , I remember on udk you can make a special wall that all that is behind its not rendered, things like that are often used, dont think that pubg is the norm, there are a ton of games that has netcode to hold more than 100 players.

googleing 30 seconds : 

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

How many players does that get, 200?

I honestly forget.

6 hours ago, Jonnyswboy said:

Planetside 2.

I play PS2 before, performance definitely drop below 60 and even 30 on massive battles.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |