What iPad to buy

Cookiey

Hello, so I am looking to buy myself an iPad for some reason. The question is, should i buy the 5th gen 128 or 6th gen 128 ?

The price difference is around 465$ for 5th and 515$ for the 6th gen.

I can see hw changes is a little bit different with the 6th gen with A10 chip anz 5th with A9 and the 6th supporting a pencile ( i have a note8 now, and have used the pen 7 times..) 

Any thoughts? And what cover to get maybe with keyboard.

Thanks

Percentual price difference is too small --> 6th gen of course, without even arguing about ;-)

A10 is not just faster / more efficient compared to the A9, but it's 1 year newer --> you will get 1 iOS Version newer near the "End of Life" Cycle.

And Apple Pencil support is really nice to have even if you don't want to use it, or don't see the use of it now. Better have than need it.

Don't mistake a Digitizer like the Apple pencil (or surface Pen) with that Toy S-pen.

Apple Pencil is more precise, and faster with lower input Lag, and of course, the screen size is THE huge difference.

Ever took notes in school on a regular College-block-size sheet of Paper? I'm sure you know how that is to work with.

Ever tried to do the same kind of Notes on a small Post-it-size Paper?

Also... The apps available. Note Taking with GoodNotes or Notability is pretty awesome. Android has Nothing that comes even close to that. There is simply no option available at all, even if you had the screen size (Tab S3).

Or Art-Apps like Procreate are very powerfull.

An interesting Article about the Stylus Input Lags: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-latency-in-drawing-with-the-Apple-Pencil

Apple Pencil is double as fast as the S-Pen - and that's with a regular 60 Hz screen.

But still.. the use of the Pencil depends on how you want to use it. If you just want to browser + youtube, you won't find much need in the Pencil. If you want to use it for note taking, sketching etc, you probably will.

Regardless, the performance difference + 1 year longer support because it's 1 year newer is probably enough to justify the price difference.

Btw, what Price is the iPad Pro 10,5" 64gb version?

It starts at 800$ for that, way more then what i am interested to pay for..

Why didnt thry make a 64gb of the 6th gen. Only 16,32 and 128.

Yea i understand that I get one extra year, and the difference is 3700 NOK to 4200 NOK for me soo yea.

it's actually only 32gb or 128gb ^^" no 16 anymore (bless god, 16 is nothing nowadays).

At least the 2nd storage-step is already a HUGE bump. 32gb --> 128gb is 4x the storage. Same with 64gb --> 256gb on the Pro models, or iPhone 8.

Few years ago, you payd the same additional Price of 100 bucks, and you only went from 8 -> 16, or 16 -> 32.

I guess, for Budget cuts. iPad 5th and 6th gen is a pretty much recycling fest.

Body is from iPad Air 1, Chip is from an 1.5 year old iPhone model (yet still strong), camera should be an older device too.

Things like the 2gb Ram, 32gb Storage are probably chips they still have on mass available from previous generations and/or from recycled old iPhone/iPad models. 

6th-gen iPad -- I wouldn't even have the 5th-gen on your radar, really.

It's worth spending extra on the newer model to get something that will last longer and make you happier overall.  The added performance is significant, and Pencil support won't hurt even if you don't use it.

For a cover, it depends on your use.  I actually just use the basic Smart Cover because my iPad largely stays at home and I like the ease of video viewing with it.  You may want a whole-body cover if you're going to take it outside on a frequent basis or tend to be rough with your devices.

Thank you, then I just need to figure out what model to get.