How many hours of sleep do you need?

22 minutes ago, Dynamite_Tech said:

i only need 3 hours of sleep, insane, right?

You can be productive with 3 hours of sleep for weeks/months in a row?

On average people need like 6-8 hours to function properly, myself included.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

25 minutes ago, Dynamite_Tech said:

Depends on age but normally people need 5 to 8 hours, for good health. I'd say its more like 6-8 hours for ideal health.

When you're in secondary/high school, kids always brag that they sleep incredibly late. But once you get to college/uni, sleep is like a drug you can't get enough of.

I think I'm already addicted. 

I need 7 hours or better 8. I sometimes fall instantly asleep as soon as I am at home after university.

For long term I need at least 6 hours of sleep to function normally. I can go a night or 2 with less like 3 or 4 hours but if try that for a whole week I'm mentally a zombie at the end.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

Go for 3 hours a night for a long period of time. I bet your sanity will begin to sleep if you even manage to stay awake at that point. Your body has a remarkable need for 6-8 or so hours of sleep a night

I slept for 5 hours last night, like 5am-10am which is bad, my natural rythm is like 7 hours or 8 hours.

Back in the day, sometimes I'd sleep for 12 hours, 15hrs sometimes, but that was drug induced. LOLOLOLOL

8 hours ago, Dynamite_Tech said:

That's really little. Try that for a week and report back.

It varies with age group and from person to person, but 3 hours is likely not enough on the long term. You may not notice any actual sleepiness, but it will catch up with you in other functions. The numbers have been mentioned before. Your brain and body need time to recover. I do feel better after shorter sleeps though.

The type of sleep you get also matters. You really want REM or deper sleep. Waking up during this phase can result in sleep paralysis or make you feel tired (hence why alarm clocks can be bad).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I get up at like 4:45 on about 7ish hours of sleep during the week and then I stay up late and sleep until later on Saturday. I feel better the earlier I wake up. I'm pretty tired by Friday though, ideal sleep is a bit longer for me 

That's an F in the profile pic

I need 8 hours to feel refresh. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I need 10 to 12, but i work 12 hour shifts so my days off i just sleep and sleep and sleep

• 2 weeks later...

It depends....

• When I'm f*cked up (homework, etc.) - No sleep or 1-2 hours
  • Gaming marathon - 3-4 hours
  • A bit f*cked but trying to be optimistic 5-6 hours
  • Trying to be "healthy" - 7-8 hours
  • Lazy as f*ck - 8+ hours

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I averaged 3-5 during undergrad due to school/work/extracurricular (FSAE)/racing hobby commitments. It sucked.

I averaged ~7 in grad school, was nicer.

I average a similar 6-8 now. More is better but rarely does it happen. 4 hours last night because goddamn racecar broke and needs to be not-broke.

It varies very much for me. I've pulled all nighters before and lasted the entire day, but there are times when I need 8 or so hours of sleep. And when I stay up doing assignments, I manage to get only 4 hours of sleep and feel like immediate shit going to school and end up sleeping in class. My sleep schedule is all kinds of fucked up. Even with 9 hours of sleep and a cup of coffee, i still have a midday crash.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I averaged 3-5 during undergrad due to school/work/extracurricular (FSAE)/racing hobby commitments. It sucked.

I averaged ~7 in grad school, was nicer.

I average a similar 6-8 now. More is better but rarely does it happen. 4 hours last night because goddamn racecar broke and needs to be not-broke.

explain in car thread how it broke and how its fixed.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

explain in car thread how it broke and how its fixed.

posted.

it's not fixed yet, but it's less-broke. combination of parts failed, failing, leaking, squeaking, and threatening to do those things.

5 hours, however I normally sleep 7 hours a day though

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

On 5/29/2018 at 4:15 AM, Zandvliet said:

You can be productive with 3 hours of sleep for weeks/months in a row?

On average people need like 6-8 hours to function properly, myself included.

Did this for about 4 years, not dead yet. Tho I had 4-5 hours sleep.

I did do a near 24 hour once with a ton of activity right after work (left work early to get some sleep)... When I got home at 11PM the next day I just crashed for about 10 hours. I can stay up for about 22 hours if it means being behind a computer all the time less food etc.

Usually for me about midnight to 6.45

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

8 is usually enough for me to feel pretty good the next day.  i average between 5 - 6 on weekdays though.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:22 AM, Froug said:

When you're in secondary/high school, kids always brag that they sleep incredibly late. But once you get to college/uni, sleep is like a drug you can't get enough of.

I think I'm already addicted. 

Agreed. I can sleep for like 10-12 hours and still be tired

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W