Google taken to Court over data collection on iPhones.

Article can be found here https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2018/05/google-taken-to-uk-court-over-claims-of-improper-data-collection/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_campaign=New EandT News - Automation FINAL - MEMBER&utm_medium=Newsletters - E%26T News&utm_content=E%26T News - Members&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Feandt.theiet.org%2Fcontent%2Farticles%2F2018%2F05%2Fgoogle-taken-to-uk-court-over-claims-of-improper-data-collection%2F

“An advocacy group is taking legal action against Google on behalf of UK iPhone users, arguing that the company illegally collected data from their iPhones while they used Apple’s Safari browser.”

‘The Guardian reports that at the opening of two-day hearing in London, representatives for the group stated that data collected includes not just shopping preferences and location data, but also race, health (including mental health), political views, sexual orientation, class and financial situation.’ 

Even more disturbing is the fact that the data was then used to create subdivisions of users that could be used to target adds etc

Soo google is doing what google does? Arent they providing 3 billion each year to be apples go to search engine? Arent also Apple users more valuable than Android Users? 

@Andyni Please adjust your post to meet the guidelines of The News and Reviews section.

Needed;

• Place quotes in quote boxes
  • Add point of view commentary (yuor own thoughts/opinion)
  • Proper format of font.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

Source: 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

What?

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Soo google is doing what google does? Arent they providing 3 billion each year to be apples go to search engine? Arent also Apple users more valuable than Android Users? 

I'll try to improve OP's clarity. The meat of the accusation seems to reside in the following paragraph:

According to a consumer group, Google You Owe Us, the search giant has been illegally collecting personal details from iPhone users by exploiting default privacy settings found on Apple iPhones, which block third-party tracking on the Safari browser via cookies. The group has said that in 2011 and 2012 Google used an algorithm to get around this restriction, track iPhone users’ browsing and collect personal data. This is known as the “Safari Workaround”.

Google's line of defense seems to be summarized in this excerpt: 

Google has denied the allegations, argued that the Safari Workaround was not used to collect data for sharing with third parties, and that it is not possible to state with certainty who may have been affected by the algorithm. The company has also argued that the legal dispute should not take place in London.

The article cites a potential precedent in the US (if the situation is confirmed to be similar, which Google apparently denies):

According to Hugh Tomlinson QC, who represents Lloyd, Google has already been forced to pay out $39.5m (£29.4m) in the US due to complaints regarding the Safari Workaround.  In 2012, the US Federal Trade Commission fined the search giant $22.5m (£16.7m) for monitoring Safari users, even after they had chosen a privacy setting which disallows tracking.

Well, this isn't going to go well

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

27 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Arent also Apple users more valuable than Android Users?

Why?

iOS has a much smaller market share than Android.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Why?

Marketshare yed, but i believe they actualy earn more from the 25% Apple users than the 75% android users. Correct me if im wrong

Believe its this where i got from. Cant double check now as it will tear through my mobile data

£750 compensation sounds pretty tasty tho.

35 minutes ago, Andyni said:

Even more disturbing is the fact that the data was then used to create subdivisions of users that could be used to target adds etc

That's pretty much standard practice.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

-snip-

I will have a look at it this evening!

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

How does this work? Safari? But what if I don't open safari? Does it work with the microsoft browser?

I knew google was collecting my location data cuz but I had no idea how it was doing it. They weekly ask me questions via the Rewards app on android about where I've been and if I spent any money. How they know where I've been when I don't carry an android device was a mystery. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

46 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Why?

iOS Users spend way more on phones, games, and in app purchases, they also buy more movies, music, and everything in between. 

Apple captures almost all the profit in the industry despite not having many users.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

On iOS, all browsers are Safari (just re-skinned).  Just as on Android, all browsers are a re-skinned Chrome.

For android, I don't think Firefox is a re-skinned version of Chrome...

Same goes for Edge and Opera.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

On iOS, all browsers are Safari (just re-skinned).  While on Android, browsers have whatever engine the dev decides to use.

Fify

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Hmm, for me most of the surveys in the Rewards app appear to be google validating data they got from apple. At least they're paying for the validation with a little Google Play credit. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's pretty much standard practice.

Exactly, that's how advertisers make ads that are relevant to you.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

For android, I don't think Firefox is a re-skinned version of Chrome...

Same goes for Edge and Opera.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Fify

I just checked, and you're correct.  I was mistaken.  Thanks for the correction.