My parents don’t allow me to get a PC

Go to solution Solved by Mr.Humble,
1 minute ago, Superlarko said:

What some of you may not understand about my budget is that the whole setup (monitor, headset, mouse, keyboard, etc) would cost 1500$

Yeah that's a pretty allowing budget to start with.

Hi. I’m less than 16 and love to play video games. I currently own a PS4 and while my parents aren’t very keen on me playing games, they put up with it. 

A couple months ago I asked if I could buy myself a PC. They declined because I “wasn’t mature enough”. I get straight As and am physically very fit. I was going for a 1500$ build. I have plenty of money myself, so money wasn’t the problem. The problem was that they just wouldn’t let me.

My birthday is coming up so I thought I’d give convincing my parents another try. I would also love if they paid a small amount too, as the pc wouldn’t be used only for gaming Could you give me tips on how to get them to allow me to buy a pc. 

Thanks

I've been there, you can try to sit them down and explain why you feel like you can build a PC yourself and how it's for more than just playing games.  

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You might be able to get by if you tell them it's like a birthday present to yourself

The problem is that they don’t ALLOW me to have a pc

Just now, Superlarko said:

The problem is that they don’t ALLOW me to have a pc

What's the problem with a PC? Come college, or even high school, you're gonna want a laptop at the very least.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

30 minutes ago, Superlarko said:

3000$ build.  

I have plenty of money myself, so money wasn’t the problem.

-snip-

Where have you gotten all that money from? Is it allowance from your parents, or do you have a very good job at the age of 14?

If you would get a more reasonable pc i would see them as more accepting, but 3000 dollars on a pc seems like wasting money(especially if it is their money). What kind of pc are you going to build anyways?

I would also love if they paid a small amount too

How small of an amount? A small loan of a million dollars?

24 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Where have you gotten all that money from? Is it allowance from your parents, or do you have a very good job at the age of 14?

If you would get a more reasonable pc i would see them as more accepting, but 3000 dollars on a pc seems like wasting money(especially if it is their money). What kind of pc are you going to build anyways?

I live in Europe and sometimes after an accident the insurance can give you a lot of money. That’s where I got my money from. I was planning to build a gaming pc and I meant to say 1500$ pc. 

31 minutes ago, Superlarko said:

-snip-

3000 bucks is a lot to ask for a less than 16 year old. In fact, probably most of us here have builds of only around 1500-2000. Mine came in around 1000. 

I think the problem is that they don't want you to get a gaming PC.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, Superlarko said:

I live in Europe and sometimes after an accident the insurance can give you a lot of money. That’s where I got my money from. I was planning to build a gaming pc and I meant to say 1500$ pc. 

How can you mistake 3000 for a 1500?

18 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

-snip-

Mine wouldn't even be worth 1000. My first build barely cost me 100....

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

12 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

How can you mistake 3000 for a 1500?

I was overshooting

2 minutes ago, Superlarko said:

I was overshooting

But what amount are you asking your parents for?

29 minutes ago, Superlarko said:

I would also love if they paid a small amount too

What are you planning to do when you grow up?

If it is something in a technical field, programing, development, IT, networking etc.. I would pitch it as a learning tool. Although I would recommend you do actually use it for that :).

I think your price is scaring the parents. A 14 year old asking for a $1000+ piece of equipment (that is probably only used for entertainment) is raising a few red flags for them. Even if it is your own money your parents they don't want you to wast it. $3000 is hard to come by. Keep it under 1K  $500-700 would be much more reasonable. Get something modest, mid range CPU, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD maybe a used video card. Just because you have lots of money now doesn't mean you should blow it all in one place. :)  

My first gaming PC cost me $1,216. My parents said it was cool because they saw me build it and I got them involoved in learning how to build them, despite my dad and mom being super old. Just depends on how you come across.

Have you explained to them why you need a pc and not want a PC? Needs are more important than wants.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

3 minutes ago, greenbrucelee said:

tell them it will help you study and if they still decline tell them how you will end up being bullied for it and lay on the guilt trip.

This is not good advice

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

2 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

My first gaming PC cost me $1,216. My parents said it was cool because they saw me build it and I got them involoved in learning how to build them, despite my dad and mom being super old. Just depends on how you come across.

Have you explained to them why you need a pc and not want a PC? Needs are more important than wants.

1 minute ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

This is not good advice

i agree.

7 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

But what amount are you asking your parents for?

Around 500$

1 minute ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

This is not good advice

I was joking on at least the last part.

6 minutes ago, greenbrucelee said:

tell them it will help you study and if they still decline tell them how you will end up being bullied for it and lay on the guilt trip.

2 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

This is not good advice

I agree.

2 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

This is true. Like I mentioned above, a PC is practically a necessity once you hit college(or high school in some circumstances).

7 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

What are you planning to do when you grow up?

If it is something in a technical field, programing, development, IT, networking etc.. I would pitch it as a learning tool. Although I would recommend you do actually use it for that :).

I think your price is scaring the parents. A 14 year old asking for a $1000+ piece of equipment (that is probably only used for entertainment) is raising a few red flags. Keep it under 1K  $500-700 would be much more reasonable. Get something modest, mid range CPU, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD maybe a used video card. Just because you have lots of money now doesn't mean you should blow it all in one place. :)  

I love computers and will probably study computer science in college. And when I confronted them about buying a pc they themselves said money wasn’t the problem.