Apple gets dragged into court by relatives in a plane crash, blaming an exploding iPhone

ItsMitch

Seems to me like a desperate attempt at some cash.

And as much as I dislike Apple, I doubt their phones have battery issues. And if that was a one in a million case, then a "fire" from a phone should not be an issue today, even on a plane.

Wait and see what the crash report says etc.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, asus killer said:

The investigators hence note a troubling parallel between the placing of these items that are fed by lithium batteries and the triggering of alarms during the flight," Le Parisien added.

If this occurred in the US the FAA would rebuild the plane from its parts and theorize what caused the accident. 

“Troubling parallel” is not evidence. They would have to prove why that parallel exists. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, NMS said:

And as much as I dislike Apple, I doubt their phones have battery issues

Every phone can have battery issues. 

Batteries are basically chemical bombs in our pockets. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

for all the phones already sold since the 1st one i think we can say that apart for some exceptions, batteries are very safe. They all are a potential fire hazard and still the problems are not much. Bombs i think it's going to far, those cases are mostly bad manufacturing or handling i think.

back in the day it was easier to see if the battery was bulging or had any sign of degradation, something that now is impossible. That may be the cause of some of the problems.

So... the only iphone 6s ever suspected of exploding also happens to be the cause of a plane crash? I think we're pushing the limits of coincidence here...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

50 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But in the end all those batteries are the same. It's the controller on them that distributes power is different. Hence why Samsung F'ed up so hard.

Good luck in winning the court against Apple. Apple highly likely will win the battle.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

5 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Good luck in winning the court against Apple. Apple highly likely will win the battle.

Or stretch it out to the point where the opponent is bankrupt, or to the point in 50 years when everyone has forgot about it

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So... the only iphone 6s ever suspected of exploding also happens to be the cause of a plane crash? I think we're pushing the limits of coincidence here...

Well there are reports of exploding iphones on the internet including 6s models. But most of these reports seems sketchy at best. 

I've seen too many aircraft investigations episodes to not rule out something like this starting the whole chain of events leading upto a crash. probability is there, they have to rule it out as a certainty.

Details separate people.

8 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Well there are reports of exploding iphones on the internet including 6s models. But most of these reports seems sketchy at best. 

Fair enough - still, if you puncture or overheat any li battery it will explode, it's not necessarily a design problem. Maybe that specific area of the cockpit is exposed to the sun and gets particularly hot during a flight.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Most cases of exploding phone battery are usually the result of someone buy a genuine replacement battery or a genuine charger so some sketchy ass guy who insist its the real deal. So even if phone x catches on fire, it probably isn't company x fault.

51 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Not to mention that a trained pilot (someone would would not flip out because of some smoke) would have just removed it from the cockpit.

Personally i think the iPhone thing sounds more like it would actually happen.

14 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Those “credible investigators” would need some evidence to base their theory on. They can’t just say it. The judge would throw them out for not having a case. 

That lawsuit won’t go anywhere. The fact that alarms went off in the avionics bay below the pilot’s floor should be enough to get this entire case thrown out.

Apple has more than 250+ billion dollars and everyone thinks they deserve a piece of it. Yes, it completely sucks what happened and yes, I do feel for them. It is understandable that the families want answers, but I'd like to know how much evidence they have that proves Apple was at fault here. If it was an Apple device, how do they know it wasn't some cheap charger that caused the battery fire? Aviation experts could not discover the exact source of the fire, but a lawyer has?

Now, if the pilot had a Samsung phone... ;)

9 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

That lawsuit won’t go anywhere. The fact that alarms went off in the avionics bay below the pilot’s floor should be enough to get this entire case thrown out.

Apple has more than 250+ billion dollars and everyone thinks they deserve a piece of it. Yes, it completely sucks what happened and yes, I do feel for them. It is understandable that the families want answers, but I'd like to know how much evidence they have that proves Apple was at fault here. If it was an Apple device, how do they know it wasn't some cheap charger that caused the battery fire? Aviation experts could not discover the exact source of the fire, but a lawyer has?

Now, if the pilot had a Samsung phone... ;)

So you dont know what evidence they have, yet formulated an opinion?

The co-pilot had placed his iPhone and iPad on a glare-shield in the cockpit, as seen on CCTV cameras.

The argument they make is the correlation between the placement of the iPhone and the surrounding area where the fire broke out. There were smoke alarms in the toilet and avionics bay under the floor. How would the fire have gotten under there? That doesn't make any sense.

Plus, a phone - lying in front of your eyes - bursting into flames during a flight is something spectacular that you would probably notice… However, no crew member mentioned anything or reported something to the ground.

16 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

I hate when people try to make money on the backs of dead relatives with this kind of stupid thing. Like Paul wokers daughter sued porche for her fathers death. His friend was going 120-150 mph in place where legaly you could only drive 5 times less speed and ran into a tree what is porches fault here? It's very sad when people die but what you can do. If you have evidance well then good for you you can sue if you whant money, but this is very stupid!

Don't forget that the tires had reached the point where they were no longer safe to drive on.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Don't forget that the tires had reached the point where they were no longer safe to drive on.

C'mon, is there such a thing? tyres just go from granny tread to racing slick with use, they don't get worse as they wear they get more like racing tyres!

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

C'mon, is there such a thing? tyres just go from granny tread to racing slick with use, they don't get worse as they wear they get more like racing tyres!

I didn't mean the tread, the tires probably looked almost brand new -- with less than 3500 miles on them. I meant the rubber itself. High performance tires are made from a rubber compound that does not age well -- ten year old race tires are REAAAALLLLLLY dangerous.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm no apple fanboy, but when apple wins I hope they sue the living crap out of TMZ for slander and all that other crap, The less of these "Publications" in the world the better. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I didn't mean the tread, the tires probably looked almost brand new -- with less than 3500 miles on them. I meant the rubber itself. High performance tires are made from a rubber compound that does not age well -- ten year old race tires are REAAAALLLLLLY dangerous.

Sorry, I was trying to be funny.

22 hours ago, Maticks said:

this is completely fake news... i've had an iPhone battery catch fire in my iphone 4. Lithium batteries swell crack the screen then the smell is very strong.

its not going to be unnoticed it did catch fire in the sense of a thermal run away but it takes time. i very much noticed the smell in the house 20 minutes before.

In a small space like a cockpit you are going to smell that in minutes and i am sure the CVR is going to pick that up.

Interesting. I have over 20 smartphones, and probably over 50 things that use a lithium battery, and nothing has exploded. Not even when I left my GoPro recording in a high temperature car and it shut down due to heat. I kept it in that car (though not running) far after that shut down. What, other than bad luck, causes these failures?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

9 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Interesting. I have over 20 smartphones, and probably over 50 things that use a lithium battery, and nothing has exploded. Not even when I left my GoPro recording in a high temperature car and it shut down due to heat. I kept it in that car (though not running) far after that shut down. What, other than bad luck, causes these failures?

Using Chinese cheapo chargers and cables and dropping your phone are two things. Fast charging and wireless charging also heats up the battery more than regular chargers.