Apple gets dragged into court by relatives in a plane crash, blaming an exploding iPhone

ItsMitch

S: Ladable | TMZ (yes don't worry, I know it's a shit publication) 

This is a weird one so bare with me, oh summoning our Apple resident @DrMacintosh for his input too.

Apple is being sued by some relatives of the people killed in the May 2016 Egypt Air plane crash that claimed the lives of 66 people. 

An EgyptAir crash that killed 66 people could have been caused by an 'overheating Apple product', according to family members who have filed a lawsuit.

Now investigators in France are examining the claims that the plane crashed in May 2016 because of the pilot's overheated smartphone batteries.

Some industry experts have rubbished the theory, however, claiming that it is more likely a short circuit or other explosion took place below the cockpit, as reported by The Sun.

A source from the French aviation investigation suggested there could be a 'troubling parallel' between where the fire broke out in the cockpit and where the co-pilot left his iPhone, according to Le Parisien newspaper.

So the "PUBLICATION" TMZ have seen documents apparently and it's claiming the overheating in the iPhone led to an explosion in the cockpit and lead a chain of events that brought the plane down. 

Apple returned a comment to Ladbible when they reached out for comment

A spokesman said: "We haven't been contacted by GTA or any authority investigating this tragic event. We have not seen the report but we understand there is no evidence to link this event to Apple products.

"If investigators have questions for us, we would of course assist in any way we can. 

"We rigorously test our products to ensure they meet or exceed international safety standards."

TMZ's article....

The crash of EgyptAir flight 804 into the Mediterranean Sea that killed 66 people was caused by a hot Apple product ... according to a new suit.

The families of several of the victims of the May 19, 2016 crash claim the tragedy was due to the co-pilot's iPhone 6S or iPad mini overheating in the cockpit and catching fire.

According to the docs ... an investigation revealed the device ignited and led to a bigger fire in the cockpit, which ultimately took the plane down.

It should be noted, however -- some industry experts have questioned this phone theory ... and believe the fire on the plane started beneath the cockpit in the avionics bay due to a short circuit or some kind of explosion.

Still, the families believe there's enough evidence to hold Apple responsible for the deaths of their loved ones ... so they're suing for damages. The airline is also listed on the suit.

We reached out to Apple and EgyptAir ... so far, no word back.

Discuss friendos, I'm mehhhhhhhhhhh on this to be fair, but I'm very skeptical on this. 

6 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

a part of me just died after seeing the letters tmz

im sorry :( 

Lithium batteries can fail. Doesn't matter how good they are, when you store that much energy in what it literally a bag of volatile chemicals, there IS a risk that something can go wrong. 

IMO planes should have "unhappy lithium containment bags" since its a not anything that's going to be going away soon.

alrightly. let's check the wording here

43 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

could have been caused by an 'overheating Apple product',

could also have been caused by the pilot farting

The families of several of the victims of the May 19, 2016 crash claim the tragedy was due to the co-pilot's iPhone 6S or iPad mini overheating in the cockpit and catching fire.

how the hell would the families know?

Still, the families believe there's enough evidence to hold Apple responsible

evidence would clear this up

Some industry experts have questioned this phone theory ... and believe the fire on the plane started beneath the cockpit in the avionics bay

so basically no one knows what took the plane down. seems a bit of a stretch to sue a company (even if it is apple) for something that still has not been proven. it seems more like a rumour or just crazy people trying to find a way to make quick money off the backs of deceased family members

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Lithium batteries can fail. Doesn't matter how good they are, when you store that much energy in what it literally a bag of volatile chemicals, there IS a risk that something can go wrong. 

IMO planes should have "unhappy lithium containment bags" since its a not anything that's going to be going away soon.

Samsung used to have booths in airports during the entire Galaxy Note 7 explosion thing. Which reminds me of a domestic flight that was delayed for 30 minutes because a jerkbag decides it's a good idea to bring a Galaxy Note 7 but thankfully someone ratted out the persomn.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

31 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

seems a bit of a stretch to sue a company for something that still has not been proven

Eh civil court doesn't have the same standard of guilt required by criminal court, more likely than not is generally sufficient and people have gotten settlements with less.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Eh civil court doesn't have the same standard of guilt required by criminal court, more likely than not is generally sufficient and people have gotten settlements with less.

our world is stupid

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

The only thing exploding at Apple is their stock value ?

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

this is completely fake news... i've had an iPhone battery catch fire in my iphone 4. Lithium batteries swell crack the screen then the smell is very strong.

its not going to be unnoticed it did catch fire in the sense of a thermal run away but it takes time. i very much noticed the smell in the house 20 minutes before.

In a small space like a cockpit you are going to smell that in minutes and i am sure the CVR is going to pick that up.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

No proof no Case. If there is proof bring it to the court and sue to your hearts content. But if they are just trying to capitalize on this and maybe get a settlement then I’m disgusted. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

After doing a few minutes worth of research (the same amount most news outlets do for their news articles), it's hard for me to believe a fire caused by a malfunctioning iPhone battery could've possibly taken down a plane the way MS804 went down. No mayday call was ever made which is odd because in the last two instances where an aircraft was brought down by fire that I could think of (UPS 6 and Swiss Air 111), the crew were at least able to declare an emergency and continue flying for some time before impact. Swiss Air 111 was an electrical fire right behind the pilots and UPS 6 was a fire involving a pallet of over 81,000 lithium batteries in the cargo hold. If the crews in both of those scenarios were able to declare an emergency when a fire broke out, there has to something else to cause the pilots of MS804 to act the way they did. A simple iPhone battery fire in the cabin can't possibly cause such catastrophic damage to the aircraft that would cut sever all communications with the ground. 

Keep in mind the investigation into MS804 is still ongoing so the actual cause to the disaster is still unknown. But, in my opinion, exploding iPhones is an unlikely cause. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

This feels like Clean Label Project handing out class-actions to every pet food maker that they can just to see what sticks. No actual evidence attached to the documents for the courts to look at, no independent results, and tons of charts with changed measurements (milligrams to micrograms, for example) without providing the full chart. Then people read the class action and think "oh hey, they're right, this is junk" when half of the information is omitted or altered for the sake of frightening consumers. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If only Mythbusters was still here.. they'd replicate this and prove its not possible. Planes are not packed with combustable material. there would be only a short time of heat from the battery to start a fire and its hard to spread a fire with no heat at the source and everything non combustable. the plane fires mentioned were 10,000+ batteries...

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

If only Mythbusters was still here.. they'd replicate this and prove its not possible. Planes are not packed with combustable material. there would be only a short time of heat from the battery to start a fire and its hard to spread a fire with no heat at the source and everything non combustable. the plane fires mentioned were 10,000+ batteries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2017_season)

Technically still are.

It's Apple who cares?

zOrK6uW.gif

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

4 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Damn son... that's cold 

Its true though

I hate when people try to make money on the backs of dead relatives with this kind of stupid thing. Like Paul wokers daughter sued porche for her fathers death. His friend was going 120-150 mph in place where legaly you could only drive 5 times less speed and ran into a tree what is porches fault here? It's very sad when people die but what you can do. If you have evidance well then good for you you can sue if you whant money, but this is very stupid!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

No proof no Case. If there is proof bring it to the court and sue to your hearts content. But if they are just trying to capitalize on this and maybe get a settlement then I’m disgusted. 

i believe it would be very difficult for the investigative team to prove it but they still have to present their findings as a likely theory. Maybe some American here can clarify if a judge would go for it just based on a solid theory by credible investigators or if you'd really need a 100% certainty (and i say any American because i assume they are suing there?! )

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

i believe it would be very difficult for the investigative team to prove it but they still have to present their findings as a likely theory. Maybe some American here can clarify if a judge would go for it just based on a solid theory by credible investigators or if you'd really need a 100% certainty (and i say any American because i assume they are suing there?! )

Those “credible investigators” would need some evidence to base their theory on. They can’t just say it. The judge would throw them out for not having a case. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Those “credible investigators” would need some evidence to base their theory on. They can’t just say it. The judge would throw them out for not having a case. 

A source from the French aviation investigation suggested there could be a 'troubling parallel' between where the fire broke out in the cockpit and where the co-pilot left his iPhone, according to Le Parisien newspaper.

The paper said: "The images very clearly indicate that the Egyptian co-pilot put his telephone, tablet and bottles of perfume bought before boarding on the glare-shield."

"The investigators hence note a troubling parallel between the placing of these items that are fed by lithium batteries and the triggering of alarms during the flight," Le Parisien added.

5 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If his iPhone burnt, he couldn't call the land duh! ;)