Samsung's 970 pro designed to combat Optane on performance?

The Elder Smurf

Samsung released the 970 pro (and evo) and it performs quite admirably compared to its 3D-Xpoint counterpart. Remember when Optane was wiping the floor with random io and latency, it looks like samsung closed the gap by quite a bit.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/samsung-announces-970-pro-and-evo-nvme-ssds/

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-970-pro-970-evo-nvme-ssds/

https://hothardware.com/reviews/samsung-ssd-970-evo-and-pro-review?page=1

Isn't Samsung developing Z-NAND to compete with Optane?

The 970 is just an evolution of their 3D NAND going from 48 layer to 64 layer IIRC as MLC (970 Pro) or TLC (970 EVO).

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The question I'm wondering is... does that mean anything in terms of single-client practical performance? When I started using an NVMe drive, the system didn't really feel faster.

I wouldn't have thought so, not noticeably anyway.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The question I'm wondering is... does that mean anything in terms of single-client practical performance? When I started using an NVMe drive, the system didn't really feel faster.

no not for most use cases. scratch disk and highly random environments its a big change but for most no not much.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

NAND-based NVMe drives don't contribute much (if anything) to single-threaded random access performance that's most critical for the consumer workloads.

NVMe allows for much faster sequential and multi-threaded transfers and this is where Optane adds to the table its top speed random access performace.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:13 AM, DuckDodgers said:

NAND-based NVMe drives don't contribute much (if anything) to single-threaded random access performance that's most critical for the consumer workloads.

NVMe allows for much faster sequential and multi-threaded transfers and this is where Optane adds to the table its top speed random access performace.

This is making me think that future storage devices are only useful in server scenarios. Particularly databases.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:00 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

I do embedded system design, and I compile large projects often, mostly Yocto (a collection of Linux kernel and apps).

With a 22-core CPU, the SSD chokes the system.

And I'm not saying I have a SATA or cheap entry level 2D TLC NVMe. I have a 1.2TB 750, and it still sucks.

Compiling is a really stressful operation on SSDs -- many threads, shallow (mostly 1) QD, tons of small files and mixed R/W.

I'm waiting for the new 970 Pro. 900P was great, but my chassis can't house it. It only supports up to 12mm 2.5" drives, while 900P is 15mm thick.

Ans my mobo has only one PCIe, so AIC cards are also not possible. Yes, silly me, buying an ITX X99.

1 hour ago, blueskull said:

I do embedded system design, and I compile large projects often, mostly Yocto (a collection of Linux kernel and apps).

I started in embedded systems and I was on the opposite end of the spectrum where there was no Linux. It was all bare metal programming because "megabytes" wasn't a thing on the target.

But I get where you're coming from.