iPad pro 12.9 inch (2017) or Ryzen 2700X system

Hello everyone! I have a BIG dilemma, well it is for me.

I am an graphic designer/photographer/drone pilot and am in need of a new device. I have a lenovo E450 (2015) it has been through the wars with people in the year above me when I was at school throwing the laptop on the ground and I replaced the screen and the hard drive with a 250GB crucial SSD after loosing all my photos. Any how I digress.

So my question is, do I get a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 inch with the a10X chip (256GB) + the apple pencil OR build my own PC (Ryzen 2700X, 16GB 3200hz RAM, GTX 1050 ti 4GB and 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD)???????????

Some pros for the iPad that I can think of is the Pencil, portability, size (bigger is better for me [screen size for photo edits and drawing space]), long battery life, programs (apps) cost less than full desktop apps (procreate vs adobe). Cons: it is apple so it wont last for ever, it's not easily upgrade-able, it can't use photoshop/lightroom/illistrator or any other major desktop apps.

For the PC some pros would be: easily and fairly affordably upgrade-able, it can run and use all the major software and hardware, the life of it is longer than that of a typical iPad. Some cons would be: Lack of portability, no decent and affordable screen stylist and programs can cost A LOT more than the iPad.  

For me this is a big choice as this sort of money takes me a while to save as I have to pay for bill, house, etc. and so I don't take these decisions lightly so any opinions would greatly help.

9 minutes ago, Crazy Biohazard said:

it is apple so it wont last for ever,

On the contrary, it would last you years. 

There are questions that you are going to have to ask yourself here.

First of all what are you going to be doing on either of these devices? Secondly when are you going to need the portability to be a factor? When are you going to need a multi-threaded CPU to be a factor? What programs do you need to use? etc.

Those are questions that only you can answer. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

This is like asking should you get a 2 seater sports car to haul things around town with. A mobile OS is atrocious platform to get serious work done with if you depend on commercial software.

PC first. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

26 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

First of all what are you going to be doing on either of these devices? Secondly when are you going to need the portability to be a factor? When are you going to need a multi-threaded CPU to be a factor? What programs do you need to use? etc.

I'll be using Blender, Photoshop and a few other cpu intensive programs

26 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

One the battery goes....which would be within a few years (Apple doesn't use good ones anymore) its not going to be much use.

36 minutes ago, Crazy Biohazard said:

Hello everyone! I have a BIG dilemma, well it is for me.

I am an graphic designer/photographer/drone pilot and am in need of a new device. I have a lenovo E450 (2015) it has been through the wars with people in the year above me when I was at school throwing the laptop on the ground and I replaced the screen and the hard drive with a 250GB crucial SSD after loosing all my photos. Any how I digress.

So my question is, do I get a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 inch with the a10X chip (256GB) + the apple pencil OR build my own PC (Ryzen 2700X, 16GB 3200hz RAM, GTX 1050 ti 4GB and 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD)???????????

Some pros for the iPad that I can think of is the Pencil, portability, size (bigger is better for me [screen size for photo edits and drawing space]), long battery life, programs (apps) cost less than full desktop apps (procreate vs adobe). Cons: it is apple so it wont last for ever, it's not easily upgrade-able, it can't use photoshop/lightroom/illistrator or any other major desktop apps.

For the PC some pros would be: easily and fairly affordably upgrade-able, it can run and use all the major software and hardware, the life of it is longer than that of a typical iPad. Some cons would be: Lack of portability, no decent and affordable screen stylist and programs can cost A LOT more than the iPad.  

For me this is a big choice as this sort of money takes me a while to save as I have to pay for bill, house, etc. and so I don't take these decisions lightly so any opinions would greatly help.

Perhaps look at some of Samsung's Windows tablets and laptops (even those that use a C pen/rebadged Waccom pen). You get more I/O and better specs for the price, and with the S-Pen models the pen is normally included. The iPad pro is extremely poor value, and the iOS version of apps are cheaper for a reason-they can do far less.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'll be using Blender, Photoshop and a few other cpu intensive programs. I can use them on my current laptop but they take well over 20 minutes to do anything after changing a key frame or anything else. For the iPad I would be using procreate and illustrator and in terms of portability it isn't a huge need but the whole apple pencil is really good. I did a test with a friends ipad and apple pencil and it is far better than the wacom pencils.

PC with graphics tablet.
If you want a portable device for flying your drone, get a cheap 2nd hand tablet.

Do all your professional graphics designing and photography work on the more powerful desktop. Take the cheap tablet with you when you want to fly your drone. Since you admit to being rather accident prone with your portable devices, it wouldn't matter if a cheap 2nd hand tablet gets knocked around a bit while you're on the go, and if it does break you won't lose your work system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

since I'm guessing you already have a tablet for your graphic design, they i would say go for the Desktop. Drawing o the screen is a quality of life thing which i would say doesn't not take priority over a decent workstation. hell i used a wacom bamboo for 5 years before i got my first pen display.

Though i will say that lacking photoshop on the iPad isn't as big a deal as you might think. ProCreate 4 (nice name Apple) has most of the main features of Photoshop when it comes to drawing and photo editing and it's only $6

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

PC with graphics tablet.
If you want a portable device for flying your drone, get a cheap 2nd hand tablet.

Do all your professional graphics designing and photography work on the more powerful desktop. Take the cheap tablet with you when you want to fly your drone. Since you admit to being rather accident prone with your portable devices, it wouldn't matter if a cheap 2nd hand tablet gets knocked around a bit while you're on the go, and if it does break you won't lose your work system.

I didn't say I was accident prone. I said the kid's in year 12 when I was in year 11 (final school years in Australia) would bully me by tossing my laptop around and throw it on the ground as it was the one thing that helped me in my classes.

4 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

since I'm guessing you already have a tablet for your graphic design, they i would say go for the Desktop. Drawing o the screen is a quality of life thing which i would say doesn't not take priority over a decent workstation. hell i used a wacom bamboo for 5 years before i got my first pen display.

Though i will say that lacking photoshop on the iPad isn't as big a deal as you might think. ProCreate 4 (nice name Apple) has most of the main features of Photoshop when it comes to drawing and photo editing and it's only $6

I do not have a tablet.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

ne the battery goes....which would be within a few years

Not really, like at all. We have an old iPad Air thats battery behaves perfectly. I sold an iPad 2 that was similar. The batteries are also replaceable with a small amount of user effort. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Crazy Biohazard said:

I do not have a tablet.

i would still say the PC and just get a cheap tablet for now and then once you've saved up, get the iPad.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Crazy Biohazard said:

I'll be using Blender, Photoshop and a few other cpu intensive programs. I can use them on my current laptop but they take well over 20 minutes to do anything after changing a key frame or anything else. For the iPad I would be using procreate and illustrator and in terms of portability it isn't a huge need but the whole apple pencil is really good. I did a test with a friends ipad and apple pencil and it is far better than the wacom pencils.

You'd be surprised about the wacomm pens. Had to help my mum setup the C pen for my sister's Samsung Probook S (seems to be the only model using one), and it works flawlessly. I wouldn't recommend that particular tablet over newer models that replaced it because its almost as limited as an iPad-but it does everything the iPad pro does, and for far less.
My mum actually found that the C-pen was smoother on the Probook than the S-pen on her Tab A Pro.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

i would still say the PC and just get a cheap tablet for now and then once you've saved up, get the iPad.

What sort of applications do you use for drawing on a pc.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not really, like at all. We have an old iPad Air thats battery behaves perfectly. I sold an iPad 2 that was similar. The batteries are also replaceable with a small amount of user effort. 

That's because its an older iPad. Everything from Apple from at least the last 2 years has had a rather medicore quality battery. My mum's old iPod touch 3 and iPod classic have batteries that still function like new. My 7th gen nano and iPad mini 4 however have had the batteries wear out with less use.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

You'd be surprised about the wacomm pens. Had to help my mum setup the C pen for my sister's Samsung Probook S (seems to be the only model using one), and it works flawlessly. I wouldn't recommend that particular tablet over newer models that replaced it because its almost as limited as an iPad-but it does everything the iPad pro does, and for far less.
My mum actually found that the C-pen was smoother on the Probook than the S-pen on her Tab A Pro.

I have tested the two pens as both my friends have different work flows for their art and I personally loved the way the pencil worked with procreate. By the way I don't want this to seem like I am just trying to justify myself getting the ipad.

8 minutes ago, Crazy Biohazard said:

I've used Photoshop, PaintTool SAI, and current using Clip Studio Paint. Painttool is very resource light and very small space wise, there's a fan-made version which is free and legal (as far as i know). Clip Studio is a bit more intensive but has infinitely more features than SAI. i generally only use photoshop for color adjustments/corrections and finalizing the image.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Biohazard said:

Photoshop, Corel Photo Paint, PaintShop Pro, Paint.net, PaintTool Sai. Pretty much anything that can edit images.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Crazy Biohazard said:

I have tested the two pens as both my friends have different work flows for their art and I personally loved the way the pencil worked with procreate. By the way I don't want this to seem like I am just trying to justify myself getting the ipad.

Either way you'll be able to do what you want-just keep in mind that there are tablets out there which can do the job just as well if not better, at a lower price.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's because its an older iPad. Everything from Apple from at least the last 2 years has had a rather medicore quality battery. My mum's old iPod touch 3 and iPod classic have batteries that still function like new. My 7th gen nano and iPad mini 4 however have had the batteries wear out with less use.

That is literally impossible to know. 

Nothing has happened to the quality of batteries, rather people found something to complain about because they needed a sensational story. 

Its all perception, every battery degrades and there is nothing with current battery tech that can stop that. 

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Either way you'll be able to do what you want-just keep in mind that there are tablets out there which can do the job just as well if not better, at a lower price.

It's not the tablet that I like. it's the pencil.

18 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

I've used Photoshop, PaintTool SAI, and current using Clip Studio Paint. Painttool is very resource light and very small space wise, there's a fan-made version which is free and legal (as far as i know). Clip Studio is a bit more intensive but has infinitely more features than SAI. i generally only use photoshop for color adjustments/corrections and finalizing the image.

All are great 2D drawing programs. 

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

All are great 2D drawing programs. 

i would primarily use Photoshop if it had brush smoothing like CSP and PTS and post correction like CSP. i know they introduced brush smoothing in in CC 2018 but i cant justify that since i already have CSP

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒