GoFundMe for getting Crunchy Dragon an SSD

RollTime
Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Unless its a QM or an 8th gen, all core i3, i5, and i7 chips are the same to me. 

If it ain't a quad core, it ain't an i5 or i7

Fun story, the 2.4GHz i5-6300u in my Surface Pro 4 runs circles around the 4130T (2.9GHz), maximum battery live vs high performance, NVMe SSD vs 850 Evo 120GB, in Photoshop CC2015, MS Word, MS Office, Gedit, Waterfox, Firefox, Edge, and easy to run games like The Escapists and OneShot.

So, to me, i3 indicates that the machine is a piece of shit.

Because it's basically the same story with every other i3 machine I've used.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Fun story, the 2.4GHz i5-6300u in my Surface Pro 4 runs circles around the 4130T (2.9GHz), maximum battery live vs high performance, NVMe SSD vs 850 Evo 120GB, in Photoshop CC2015, MS Word, MS Office, Gedit, Waterfox, Firefox, Edge, and easy to run games like The Escapists and OneShot.

So, to me, i3 indicates that the machine is a piece of shit.

Because it's basically the same story with every other i3 machine I've used.

That's really very interesting, I've used i3s and even Pentiums and they perform just fine, the only modern cpu I've had a problem with was the i3-4020y.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's theory. It's not quite as simple as "BUT IZ FASTER!!!!111!!" Alot of it depends on the tasks being asked of the drives.

The low queue depths and small file sizes that consumers and gamers deal with, don't get SSDs going balls to the walls. The task is done in a similar amount of time going from an SSD to a decent HDD.

I've transfered and transcoded 250GB in movies and TV shows, and that was when my 950 Pro and 850 Evo really shown what they're really capable of, and that's when they outperformed the fastest spinners I have by meaningful margins. Playing Hitman, and the load times see a small impact of consistently less than 3 seconds.

I used to run a RAID 0 array of 4 WD Raptors, single SSD is hands down better in every way. Booting is much faster, system response time is faster, game loads are faster. Like the only thing that RAID 0 array was faster at and only just barely was synthetic seq benchmarking which it only got around 650-700 MB/s from memory.

If I can notice the difference on 4 10000 RPM HDDs with write-back cache (writes go to battery protected RAM) using a LSI 9260-8i then I'm sure everyone can on a single 7200 RPM HDD.

Also no your example of small files an low queue depths is exactly where an SSD is the greater margin of speed faster than an HDD, as file get larger and I/O sizes with it the margin of speed difference reduces between an SSD and HDD.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Also no you're example of small files an low queue depths is exactly where an SSD is the greater margin of speed faster than an HDD, as file get larger and I/O sizes with it the margin of speed difference reduces between an SSD and HDD.

Wow learn to grammar, it's clearly Yore. As in Yore example, his old example. Duh.

it's time

4 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Wow learn to grammar, it's clearly Yore. As in Yore example, his old example. Duh.

lol I did fix it before you posted this, muahahaha.

Edit:

P.S there's still mistakes in it but screw it lol.

Just now, leadeater said:

lol I did fix it before you posted this, muahahaha.

Edit:

P.S there's still mistakes in it but screw it lol.

In all honesty I really do hate it when people use your/you're incorrectly, but whatever. Your fine.

it's time

3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

In all honesty I really do hate it when people use your/you're incorrectly, but whatever. Your fine.

Mostly came from the sentence originally was structured different but I changed what I was saying and recycled parts of what was already written, leads to interesting things when I do that :). It's not my worst work either.

1mjnr0.jpg

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Mostly came from the sentence originally was structured different but I changed what I was saying and recycled parts of what was already written, leads to interesting things when I do that :). It's not my worst work either.

1mjnr0.jpg

That was a joke- I intentionally used the wrong “your”. But your explanation makes sense.

it's time

56 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

My Alienware Alpha runs an i3-4130T and a 5400RPM 1TB spinner pulled from a low end Dell laptop. It takes a few seconds longer to load things than my i5-4460 + 850 Evo 120GB, or my 5930K @4.5GHz with the 950 Pro 256GB, 850 Evo 120GB, or Sandisk Ultra II 960GB.

The only thing that the SSDs are faster than, are my old WD Greens, which isn't shocking, Greens were pretty slow when they came out.

I can only call them worth while over cheap HDDs. Realistically, the tasks most consumers and gamers have, don't really utilize the capabilities of SSDs to warrant the increased cost over a higher end HDD.

I'm pretty impatient when it comes to my desktop. If there is any delay between double clicking something, and having something actually happen, I start looking for what's wrong. I also have some disdain for Windows launching into the desktop, but still requiring time to "settle" before I can start clicking things. I much prefer being able to launch my browser, or other application as soon as I load into the desktop. I want my PC to be waiting on me, not the other way around.

Though to be fair, a decent 7200 rpm drive is tolerable. My Atom desktop in the living room has one. On the other hand, the desktops at work seem to be using  especially slow spinning platters of poo that the IT decided to spec. Reboots eat about 5 minutes of time, and whatever AV software being used seems to be quite aggressive on the scanning, slowing things down further. Some incompetence here.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm pretty impatient when it comes to my desktop. If there is any delay between double clicking something, and having something actually happen, I start looking for what's wrong. I also have some disdain for Windows launching into the desktop, but still requiring time to "settle" before I can start clicking things. I much prefer being able to launch my browser, or other application as soon as I load into the desktop. I want my PC to be waiting on me, not the other way around.

You'd hate my X99 system. I ran it for a week with just SSDs, windows reinstall), and that delay is a constant.

Same with my H97 system, it runs off of one 850 Evo.

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

On the other hand, the desktops at work seem to be using  especially slow spinning platters of poo that the IT decided to spec.

I've gotten to see the guts of some of Dell's "business" PCs, and the low end ones often have 5400RPM drives reminiscent of WD Greens. Not fast in any regard.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, RollTime said:

That was a joke- I intentionally used the wrong “your”. But your explanation makes sense.

Oh I didn't miss it ;).

I have a special super power that lets me see all grammar correctly.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You'd hate my X99 system. I ran it for a week with just SSDs, windows reinstall), and that delay is a constant.

Same with my H97 system, it runs off of one 850 Evo.

I've gotten to see the guts of some of Dell's "business" PCs, and the low end ones often have 5400RPM drives reminiscent of WD Greens. Not fast in any regard.

Those drives in the work desktops are actually 2.5". My WD Greens are quite fast by comparison.

Not sure why such a delay would exist in your systems. My desktop has a pretty standard SATA AMD-branded SSD. Nothing particularly special about it.

IMG_20180327_194608.jpg

My eyes see the past…

The main issue I have with this is that I don't have a clue who the OP is. Even if I'd support the cause, I wouldn't send my money to a random person on the Internet, especially to one that's reluctant to donate themselves. The right way to do something like this would probably have been to contact one or more moderators, figure out if this is first of all allowed here, and have someone with even a shred of credibility handle the money. Having your circle donate a headstart before sharing the campaign would have further legitimized the attempt.

I hope this doesn't start a trend, everybody needs something.

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Not sure why such a delay would exist in your systems. My desktop has a pretty standard SATA AMD-branded SSD. Nothing particularly special about it.

I'm not one to easily buy into placebo affect, nor do I care that much about hype, especially when it some to SSDs. I absolutely fucking hate people telling me how much faster they'll make my system when I've tested multiple load outs to find that in the end, I've basically wasted my money. Particularly pissed because this was back when SSDs were extremely fucking extremely fucking expensive. Everything still takes time to load, and my power settings aren't unnecessarily shutting down my HDDs on my desktop every 5 minutes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, tatte said:

The main issue I have with this is that I don't have a clue who the OP is. Even if I'd support the cause, I wouldn't send my money to a random person on the Internet, especially to one that's reluctant to donate themselves. The right way to do something like this would probably have been to contact one or more moderators, figure out if this is first of all allowed here, and have someone with even a shred of credibility handle the money. Having your circle donate a headstart before sharing the campaign would have further legitimized the attempt.

I hope this doesn't start a trend, everybody needs something.

If it makes you feel better I myself put in $5. In any case, there were some people that were planing on selling their ssds for cheap or nothing, so the campaign is no longer needed.

it's time

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:
  • Oh I didn't miss it ;).
  • I have a special super power that lets me see all grammar correctly.

I apparently have a super special power allowing me to misinterpret responses on forums.

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

If it makes you feel better I myself put in $5. In any case, there were some people that were planing on selling their ssds for cheap or nothing, so the campaign is no longer needed.

Oddly it's still up for some reason. :P

36 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm not one to easily buy into placebo affect, nor do I care that much about hype, especially when it some to SSDs. I absolutely fucking hate people telling me how much faster they'll make my system when I've tested multiple load outs to find that in the end, I've basically wasted my money. Particularly pissed because this was back when SSDs were extremely fucking extremely fucking expensive. Everything still takes time to load, and my power settings aren't unnecessarily shutting down my HDDs on my desktop every 5 minutes.

When I had my old laptop before the HDD started to fail, I kept startup programs and Windows Update on a very tight leash (I still do on my current systems, actually). I actually forgo any virus protection software as well in favor of speed. At it's best, I could hit the power button and be on the internet in just over a minute, which is fairly respectable for a 5400 rpm laptop drive. Though it wasn't terribly consistent, with some boots taking much longer.

I went with an SSD around the time prices were dropping quite rapidly. It was a bit of an eyebrow-raising moment to see Windows 7 loading faster than the time it takes to finish the logo animation.

For some reason, I am reminded of the time I installed an SSD into my grandfather's laptop, and was puzzled as to why it was acting so sluggishly when I looked at it a second time. He had installed McAffee after I installed the SSD, which upon uninstallation, the PC seemed to have woken up again.

Edit: Come to think of it, I had not used any AV software beyond Windows Defender and MalwareBytes for a few years at least. Think I used Avast a bit on my old laptop with the HDD, but axed it later as I found it to be slowing things down.

My eyes see the past…

31 minutes ago, tatte said:

Oddly it's still up for some reason. :P

Fair enough, I’ll take it down.

it's time

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

When I had my old laptop before the HDD started to fail, I kept startup programs and Windows Update on a very tight leash (I still do on my current systems, actually). I actually forgo any virus protection software as well in favor of speed. At it's best, I could hit the power button and be on the internet in just over a minute, which is fairly respectable for a 5400 rpm laptop drive. Though it wasn't terribly consistent, with some boots taking much longer.

I went with an SSD around the time prices were dropping quite rapidly. It was a bit of an eyebrow-raising moment to see Windows 7 loading faster than the time it takes to finish the logo animation.

For a while, I was running Win 7 Pro on my X99 machine. Full animation played out. The bootloader for Win10 also was originally on an HDD, not my 850 Evo, boot times have not changed a second since I reinstalled everything with only the 950 Pro installed.

Once in OS, regardless of OS (including a few linux distros), it takes another few seconds for any startup services and programs to kick in, the system is pretty fucking sluggish for the first five seconds of being at the desktop. I run Windows defender, for casual use, it's more than good enough now. Only startup programs I have now are Corsair Link, CUE, MSI Fastboot, MSI Command Center, Realtek's driver, and Nahimic VR.

Slight delay when opening files, booting up, and searching/browsing files is just a reality I accept. Huge reason I even use as many SSDs as I do boils down to SMART utilities and form factor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

For a while, I was running Win 7 Pro on my X99 machine. Full animation played out. The bootloader for Win10 also was originally on an HDD, not my 850 Evo, boot times have not changed a second since I reinstalled everything with only the 950 Pro installed.

Once in OS, regardless of OS (including a few linux distros), it takes another few seconds for any startup services and programs to kick in, the system is pretty fucking sluggish for the first five seconds of being at the desktop. I run Windows defender, for casual use, it's more than good enough now. Only startup programs I have now are Corsair Link, CUE, MSI Fastboot, MSI Command Center, Realtek's driver, and Nahimic VR.

Slight delay when opening files, booting up, and searching/browsing files is just a reality I accept. Huge reason I even use as many SSDs as I do boils down to SMART utilities and form factor.

I pretty much killed everything on my startup programs that wasn't related to drivers. Pretty much just the Nvidia backend, and the Realtek driver. I can pretty much launch whatever as soon as the desktop shows up.

My eyes see the past…

I have a Maxtor Raptor IDE that might be suitable. 

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

For future reference, topics like this are not allowed, whether raising money for yourself or someone else. I will leave this topic open, since the gofundme has ended and there seems to be a reasonable discussion taking place, but do not take this as meaning that it was ok. Future topics asking people to donate money, even to a good cause, will be locked, redacted or removed without warning.

Fair enough. I did check the community standards and couldn’t find anything. Did I miss it?

it's time