Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

3 minutes ago, AlexInMtl said:

Buy a new one with Apple Care, swap the screen with your broken one and return it for a refund.

Although not being ethical and a bit risky, one could morally justify it.

Not sure if Apple does this but some manufacturers use traceable parts. Not every part but expensive ones or the parts that are included with certain options.

Not to mention this is completely unethical and doesn't solve a problem that Apple is screwing over LMG

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

On 4/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

have you tried reaching out to fellow youtuber Strange Parts he is based out of Shenzhen, China.

he seams to be able to get almost any part you can think of

5 hours ago, MorbidGod said:

If you read their email, the problem wasn't just a simple screen broken. As Linus stated verbally. It was the unit wouldn't power on (issue with the power supply) and short out the connection to the motherboard. Apple doesn't design their products to be fixed in this situation, so no they aren't going to order a motherboard, with a soldered gpu, could and any other components that might be soldered on. It'll be cheaper to buy some new iMac Pro. Otherwise meaning, Linus's employee totalled the car - I mean iMac Pro.

This is why Apple's TOS states they can deny service if you open up the product.

745D052C-FB3B-415D-8869-DE15111F7D21.png

This isn't about warranty of a disassembled product, the refusal in this case was because Apple doesn't have a proper support program in place for this product.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

12 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

This isn't about warranty of a disassembled product, the refusal in this case was because Apple doesn't have a proper support program in place for this product.  

You didn't read what their letter said, did you? I posted it for a reason.

The iMac Pro SHOULDERS have TURNED ON. It didn't. They admitted to shortting out the connection to the screen and dropping it. Apple didn't design this to be taken apart so it's doubtful that connection can be replaced. Also if the power supply is broken it appears there may be a serious short somewhere in the iMac Pro. Replacing a motherboard, and an Intel Processor that costs over two thousand dollars, and a GPS that's like what, 600 at best? That's way to much when you factor in the labor costs that Apple charges.

And the Terms of Service ISN'T about warranty work. They have the right to refuse to repair anything. In fact I had a mechanic refuse to fix or even quote me how much it would cost to fix the car because it wasn't worth it. It happens.

Next time read what I say and not make assumptions.

5 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Why can they refuse repair if you open a device?

It's In their terms of service. ReviewTechUSA read them, but you can find them online. Although Rich missed the part in Linus email where it wasn't just the screen that was broken. I don't blame him, I missed it too because Linus didn't mention it.

I think you guys should take another look at 1:14 of your video. That's pretty much the real reason why you guys couldn't get it repaired. They're trying to hide behind the 'oh we don't have the parts/we can get the parts but don't have the cert' to save face. 

Sucks that that's their 'official' policy but it is what it is. You guys won't be able to get it repaired at an Apple store for sure, but an AASP may be able to throw you a bone, assuming they are more lax on following procedure (which they do tend to be). 

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.49.19 AM.png

On 18.4.2018 at 4:27 PM, Rastafun said:

Do not fuck around with power supplies. They are way more dangerous (doubly if broken) and complicated than you seem to understand, and without adequate knowledge you can destroy the rest of the computer or seriously injure yourself. I'm an electrical engineer and I don't even feel comfortable trying to repair a power supply (I have the knowledge, but it's not my field).

Well I'm electrical engineer and I feel comfortable enough to replace a blown fuse.
Don't be a pussy. 

On 4/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

I would send your iMac Pro  to Micro Center..

http://www.microcenter.com/

They are an awesome organization. Call them. I bet they can help.

We can fix it - and, if you went to the US, the link below might help you. We do BGA repair, and if you'd like us to fix it, just confirm which parts you believe to be bad and we'll confirm the ability to obtain them - even get them in hand once you agree tentatively, and order them upon such a tentative agreement predicated on my giving you a price, in advance of course. 

Yes, they can be assholes. Sorry about that. 

I can tell you some stories of them refusing to repair things as well, and even tell you what their definitions of "qualifying" for a quality program are. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Please email me at TrumanHW@gmail.com if you'd like my assistance. We do this kind of repair often and will try to do it as inexpensively as possible. We'd also be willing to evaluate buying it for the contrast-value or after it's repaired. 

Thanks, 

Truman

Edited by TrumanHW
Provided contact info.

5 hours ago, matthew00 said:

I think you guys should take another look at 1:14 of your video. That's pretty much the real reason why you guys couldn't get it repaired. They're trying to hide behind the 'oh we don't have the parts/we can get the parts but don't have the cert' to save face. 

Sucks that that's their 'official' policy but it is what it is. You guys won't be able to get it repaired at an Apple store for sure, but an AASP may be able to throw you a bone, assuming they are more lax on following procedure (which they do tend to be). 

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.49.19 AM.png

In the U.S., refusal on that basis would be illegal. Look at my original post, above this one I believe. 

I suggest getting a 5K iMac Screen and replace it with the damage 5K iMac Pro screen. Then fly @LouisRossman out to fix the bad power supply.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:55 AM, Ac2_freak239 said:

Sue them for refusal of service

They can try and will most likely lose as the Terms and Conditions they agreed to put Apple in the right to refuse service to a part broken by an unauthorized service provider (LMG)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, PCPartListsYT said:

I suggest getting a 5K iMac Screen and replace it with the damage 5K iMac Pro screen. Then fly @LouisRossman out to fix the bad power supply.

Don't think the two displays are the same

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 hours ago, MorbidGod said:

You didn't read what their letter said, did you? I posted it for a reason.

The iMac Pro SHOULDERS have TURNED ON. It didn't. They admitted to shortting out the connection to the screen and dropping it. Apple didn't design this to be taken apart so it's doubtful that connection can be replaced. Also if the power supply is broken it appears there may be a serious short somewhere in the iMac Pro. Replacing a motherboard, and an Intel Processor that costs over two thousand dollars, and a GPS that's like what, 600 at best? That's way to much when you factor in the labor costs that Apple charges.

And the Terms of Service ISN'T about warranty work. They have the right to refuse to repair anything. In fact I had a mechanic refuse to fix or even quote me how much it would cost to fix the car because it wasn't worth it. It happens.

Next time read what I say and not make assumptions.

With mechanics you can usually find another one that's willing to repair if you pay enough, or you can simply fix it yourself (and then take it through inspection to make sure everything's in order). The car manufacturer are required by law to offer the services and parts to fix their vehicles (at least for a few year after it's released).

That's one of the main differences here, not even having the option to fix a product you own even though the resources exist, just because said services are locked down and the manufacturer is stingy.

29 minutes ago, TrumanHW said:

In the U.S., refusal on that basis would be illegal.

According to whom? Is there any precedent?  

4 hours ago, Daymin said:

Well I'm electrical engineer and I feel comfortable enough to replace a blown fuse.
Don't be a pussy. 

Honestly, I have a hard time believing you. You're telling a layman to poke around in a high-wattage power supply armed with a soldering iron and no knowledge. That's dangerously irresponsible, and where I am if you use your credentials as an engineer to tell someone to do something that gets them hurt, you're gonna be in a world of shit.

33 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

According to whom? Is there any precedent?  

Basically (in the US) you can't force the consumer not to be able to use a third party or personally fix their own device, and if the consumer breaks currently applicable warranty by opening said device it breaks that law, assuming the imac had warranty apple would be breaking that law (this is the wiki for the legal stuff, this sums the situation up).

26 minutes ago, Rastafun said:

Honestly, I have a hard time believing you. You're telling a layman to poke around in a high-wattage power supply armed with a soldering iron and no knowledge. That's dangerously irresponsible, and where I am if you use your credentials as an engineer to tell someone to do something that gets them hurt, you're gonna be in a world of shit.

I buy power supply supply kits for my diy projects, largest one bought and soldered together was rated at 250 watts I think, def not average layman stuff but even modern power supplies are quite easy to repair because they don't tend to use SMT components, and the stuff that's likely to break (diodes/caps/resistors) are easy peasy replacements (if you're at least somewhat used to electronics). I might be an exception because I've had my fair share of electrical kisses, most recent one was a teslacoil.

Just now, wowsers said:

Basically (in the US) you can't force the consumer not to be able to use a third party or personally fix their own device

Which Apple has not done. 

1 minute ago, wowsers said:

and if the consumer breaks currently applicable warranty by opening said device it breaks that law

Opening the device is not what voided the warranty, breaking it by trying to tear it down did. 

58 minutes ago, wowsers said:

I buy power supply supply kits for my diy projects, largest one bought and soldered together was rated at 250 watts I think, def not average layman stuff but even modern power supplies are quite easy to repair because they don't tend to use SMT components, and the stuff that's likely to break (diodes/caps/resistors) are easy peasy replacements (if you're at least somewhat used to electronics). I might be an exception because I've had my fair share of electrical kisses, most recent one was a teslacoil.

That's all well and good for hobby use, but I wouldn't want to risk $1000s of hardware when I can just RMA my power supply or buy a new one for less than $100. Replacing components is easy if you know what you're doing, but what if someone doesn't know how parts are rated? You could end up with a choke with a self-resonant frequency equal to the switching frequency, or a capacitor whose ripple current causes it to burn out too quickly. I've also run into shorted supplies that had blown traces (those went straight into the junk bin). I'm kinda rambling at this point, but the point is that PC power supplies are necessarily much cleaner than, say, an LED power supply. If it's too noisy, it can cause crashes.

Edit: I hope that doesn't come off as attacking you, I just got a bit rambly

15 hours ago, MorbidGod said:

It's In their terms of service. ReviewTechUSA read them, but you can find them online. Although Rich missed the part in Linus email where it wasn't just the screen that was broken. I don't blame him, I missed it too because Linus didn't mention it.

Why are they in their terms of service? Why make that choice? ;)

good old... #infestmentgames #brokengames #mafiAAAgames #oligarchygames #childsplay #scamspyservices #taxevasion

There's a little more to this. Parts on products that were released less than a year ago are held for warranty repair (defective part replacement). This is done by not just apple and I see it in pretty much all PC manufacturers too. Usually as soon as that models warranty runs out they will then be happy to fix it due to a lesser need to stockpile parts for warranties.

Being a tech that has to deal with these issues in a non apple certified repair business you have some options:

Locate the part number on the back of the screen and look on ebay for a replacement (double check the search, eBay loves to sell you similar products) Note: when those screens fall and the lvds cable is connected it can damage the cable ends and/or the port on the logic board. Also check the eBay listing picture for the same issue.

Next option is to hook up a second monitor using a thunderbolt to video (vga,dvi,hdmi etc.) to get your projects done. Then keep checking if the part becomes available.

Pull hard drive and transfer data/drive to another machine and wait for apple to release the parts.