Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

On 4/17/2018 at 9:00 PM, Krysn said:

Last week I brought in my iPhone 7 to my Apple Store to get my shattered screen repaired. I asked for a new battery because I figured I might as well. Total cost told to me: $190. ($160 + $30 battery).

I walk in 3 hours later ready to pay $190. They give me my out of warranty iPhone with a brand new screen. Bill: $30! They didn't charge me for my screen repair. I really needed the money but I was sick of using my shattered screen. I was so happy

I love Apple ?

yuck - this sounds real.... fake :P 

But if you read on it wasn't :o 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Is there any protection for Canadians regarding "Lemon Laws"? I moved out to California and found out that the law covers any consumer electronic over $100 where the company must provide service and parts for 7 years. 

Maybe if you don't have anything like that there, then having a friend in California getting the parts for "their" (your) iMac Pro computer for you.. or replaced. 

https://www.lemoncarsrus.com/Articles/Sold-a-defective-electronic-device-California-Law-Protects-You.shtml

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20151211-column.html

50 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

HI,

I have worked with high end Macs for a long time but have finally come to the end of my endurance with Apple. I work as a professional independent video editor (would have applied for job at LMG but I'm across the pond from you!!). As a final cut editor I have always used Apple computers for my work. Recently I have had several bad experiences with both Macs and  the Apple support system. I imported an IMAC PRO from the Apple Europe website (better prices), with confidence after receiving conformation that it would work fine in the UK. It worked flawlessly for the first 2.5/3 months, however last week it shut down mid-render. I took it to my closest Apple shop and they said that I had voided the warranty by using a surge protector with my Mac. I don't understand how this could possibly void the warranty but anyway, they now refuse to do anything about it at all, not even LOOK at it!!! Sound familiar??

My proposal is this:

I am completely done with Apple and this IMAC Pro. I've already talked to friends and I've been hooked up with a powerful windows based machine to continue my work on. So.... Do you want my IMAC? I'm really frustrated with apple and so understand your position, if you can give me a P.O box or postage address I will package it up and send it over. I understand it is almost certainly worth something to someone, but I've been a fan for a long time and I feel this is a good way for me to say thank-you for all the things you have done to help me in the past!!

Yours sincerely,

Arthur

P.S. Can I get a keep on digging shirt (size medium) in return?? Thanks x

Hello LTT team. I am an ACMT and ACIT qualified ex employee from apple. I worked as a genius for 3 years and trained the staff as well. 

I have information on this you might be interested in knowing. It could help your situation and also allow you to information you might not know currently about apple repairs etc. I am now past my 2 year NDA signed with apple so can share these with you. 

Let me know if you want information. I would prefer to take the conversation off the forum thread. 

You have my email I use for floatplane. 

Thanks. 

So from what I can tell, looking at the prices that I have access too, a lot depends on if it's done as a replacement or stock parts. As a replacement, it'd run about $2300USD before taxes. As a stock replacement, it's about $5800USD. The large difference is whether or not Apple would accept the part if they've blacklisted the Serial Number. If Apple refuses parts, they charge a stock price that's outrageous. At this point, you would be better off sending it to an AASP for warranty repair and holding your breath they don't kill you on the Logic Board (Mother Board) pricing. The other option is to ship it to one of us in the US and we can try here at an AASP. However, there would be no video out of it because Apple refuses to let people record repairs on site without prior approval and fat chance at that.

1 hour ago, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

I can get you your replacement part please reach out to me for details 

Considering all the hate towards Apple in this thread I must say I have had nothing but good experiences in all of the years I have used Apple computers.

My latest experience was buying the latest MacBook specced with the i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. It was costly but I knew that I would get what I payed for. About a week after getting it I had it in my bag and accidentally crushed it. The screen didn't crack but there were clear signs of where buttons had pressed into the screen as there were purple squares everywhere in the shape of the keyboard.

I took my brand new computer to an official repair-shop and told them exactly what had happened and was fully prepared to pay for the repair. They told me they would get back to me within a few days with the estimated cost for the repairs, however, it took another day or so and I got a notice that I could come and pick it up because it was repaired. I got a bit anxious as I knew it could be expensive and was upset that they had not told me upfront what the cost would be but when I went to pick it up it was free of charge and they fixed it under warranty even though it was my fault.

This, to me, is a good customer experience and was clearly something they didn't have to do but still did.

Of course my experience doesn't nullify the horrible experience you had but at least you can't say that they are always terrible and treat all their customers like shit. Obviously people are more inclined to share their bad experiences then their good.

Dear LTT team ..you can come to Mumbai,india and get it fixed,but you may find that you would have to get the job done by a 3 rd party non authorized seller but it will work..you can call anyone to ask if necessary

1 minute ago, Krysn said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 4.06.33 PM.png

Well fair play !

one good deed does not cancel a bad one though. 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Only found a few old articles, but is flextronics in austin still producing the mac pro? and maby also the i mac pro?..

3 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Well fair play !

one good deed does not cancel a bad one though. 

True. It really sucks what Linus is going through and it isn't excusable that Apple can't repair it. I just saw so much Apple hate in this thread and Apple just last week saved me $170 so I felt compelled to share.

Turn it off and on again

PC SPECS: i7 - 3820, 32GB GSkill DDR3 RAM, 2TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, Intel 240GB SSD, Corsair Spec Omega Case, Strix GTX 1060 6GB, Corsair H150i Pro RGB, Corsair CX850M PSU

Spoiler

Get rid of this

File a suite against them! If you're completely done with them ,

They'll come crying ??

Just now, Krysn said:

True. It really sucks what Linus is going through and isn't excusable that Apple can't repair it. I just saw so much Apple hate in this thread and Apple just last week saved me $100+ so I felt compelled to share.

As someone that works in Tech Support and has to deal with Apples dying and the userbase being "difficult" i cannot say that its unfounded. 

Also Mac Mail is abhorrent :'( 

Chicken Nuggets

Systek Computing in College Station, Texas repairs IMacs all the time, broken screens, bad boards, you name it. I'm sure they could do it.

I think I may have a guy! I’m Chinese and went to fix my old iMac at a 3rd party store and they had everything. Maybe I could give you their contacts? What exactly do you actually need

Main Rig

CPU: i5 8600k
Cooler: Deepcoo captain 240 ex white
Motherboard: Msi Z370 Pro Carbon
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Galax HOF DDR4 3600Mhz white
SSD: OCZ trion 200, adata sp900

Graphics Card: Galax GTX 1080ti HOF

Case: Nzxt S340 elite white
Power Supply: Gamemax RBG 1000w gold rated fully modular

Hey! There is a shop in my town that fixes everything apple and is certified. That's if you wanna ship to Ireland. Maybe just spend 3 days reading the bs T&C's and then sue them :D

Are you sure that you want to bother to get it fixed??

How about starting your own awards?
I’m sure you can find someone who will encase your broken iMac in Perspex and it would make a fitting award for the worst customer service.

Perhaps the Oscars could be upstaged by the ‘Techies’?

Hello Linus media group ,

my name is James , I am a certified Apple Technician in Spain.First of all to clarify , I don´t believe this is fair for you , regardless of the origin of the damage. For the components that you mentioned that are damaged ( LCD , MLB and PSU) you would have to get replacement parts , but with a catch , the screen if it´s only shattered would be at a standard cost , but if the logic board and power supply have been tampered by non authorized party , the price of the part is increased. This is known as STOCK price. 

I would suggest speaking with any authorized service provider / Apple premium service to get this sorted and make sure to speak with a technician and mention the stock price for the parts. Another option is to call AppleCare and mention the full story and try to make an exception (Known  as a CS Code)

As I mentioned , I am in Spain and hard to do anything from that distance , but if you provide your iMac serial number I will check all that I can do for you guys.

For any information or questions please contact me at james_ibz@hotmail.com 

Kind regards , 

James Brooks 

50 minutes ago, Diglio said:

I am part of an AASP company, and certified in all Apple Devices for repairs, and I want to start by saying that it is quite a nightmare to go through Repairs and get parts needed for repairs. 

To start, just going through the process to get parts ordered takes forever. It doesn't matter if you know for certain which part is needed, you have to go through their troubleshooting guides which are both a nightmare in their wording, and send you in circles when it comes to testing. 

Second, I have done a repair for the iMac pro recently (within the past 3 weeks) and was able to get a Logic Board, Screen and Power Supply without issue. Granted I am in NYC so it is possible they had a supplier close by. The repair process was a pain (as are most Apple Repairs) and the turn around time you have to do the repair is only 10 days. That means from the moment you receive the part, you have 10 days to install it, serialize it in the system and send the old part back for shipping. 10 days doesn't seem like a short amount of time, but when the part you ordered requires other parts that are broken to test, 10 days flies by. 

Third, in my 5 years of doing Apple Repairs, I have never had them turn around and tell me they weren't able to receive the part and thus the repair would be decline. What most likely happened, and what I have seen in the past, is that the store had no certified employees for iMac Pro repairs, so none of them were able to order the needed parts. If that isn't the case, then you were straight up lied to. From the day the product is available for shipping, items are available for order (I have had this happen on multiple ocassions, including the day 1 release of the Mac Pro Trash Can video card recall). 

Lastly, the parts you need to replace are a complete pain. With Apple's new Security in-place, and with High Sierra, getting everything to function properly blows. There are issues with screen brightness, drives not running at proper speeds, etc.. I wouldn't be surprised if you do get this thing repaired, that you won't have issues at a later date. 

Hopefully you guys can find an AASP within a short drive of you to have the part(s) ordered and repaired. Granted, the repair cost for a screen, logic board and PSU are going to be pretty insane. 

Former AASP for Micro Center here, I can confirm this is exactly how it works as an Apple Tech. Apple's system for repair is super difficult to work with, and they do require you complete certain course work before ordering parts for newer computers. It also doesn't help that this system is incredibly hard to navigate (as of last time I worked with it 2 years ago) and it's not guaranteed that the system with the training's will talk to the system with that allows you to order parts. 

My guess is in line with Diglio's, there's most likely some issue systems, training, or otherwise than the part not being physically available. The other thing is that the Apple Store most likely doesn't have a designated "Parts Coordinator" If the repair shop is big enough, they'll have a full time person in that position, those people are usually the best at getting you through stupid stuff like this. My suggestion, just find larger chain retailer that's Apple Certified and has a sizable repair shop. They usually have those resources. 

p.s. My favorite part with IMac screens,was when they're shattered like Ltt's is, you're instructed to cover the entire surface in painters tape to prevent it from completely disintegrating. 

One thing I would recommend to do is to call AppleCare, ask for a Senior Advisor right off the bat and have them call the store with you on the call and have them send out the parts for you.I'm currently asking around with my old coworkers about the current process they have for setting up those repairs.