Old cpus

Alot of old cpus can be picked up for Cheap these days.  An i5 760 performs about the same as the new generations. Are they still an option these days?  

- power draw no problemo

Yes.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

if you can get a good deal on a motherboard for that CPU, then yes.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes.

Depends on your use case IMO.

For some of the things I do, I wouldn't be able to use an i5 that old.

OP: Some CPUs from that era are better than others for modern tasks, but most people wouldn't recommend going any lower than Sandy Bridge(2nd gen) Intel CPUs if you're going with older hardware like that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Depends on what you expect from it but a first gen i7 is somewhat alright over all still.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, The321 said:

An i5 760 performs about the same as the new generations

Not really no...

the 2xxx chips are alright though

Should only buy i7s of older generations as well.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I would go with a 2600k at the least, because those are still going strong.

first gen Core is like Core 2, not even good for budget anymore.

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

first gen Core is like Core 2, not even good for budget anymore.

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 is a pretty decent chip for a budget.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

My i7 875k is still relatively good. But I wouldn't go for anything older than that, because that generation of CPUs/chipsets didn't even have proper USB 3.0 / SATA 3.0 chipsets, it's all third party crap from the likes of Realtek and you might not even be able to have both at the same time.

For example, my motherboard technically support both, but I can only get "full speed" on one of them through a setting in the BIOS. So I sacrificed my SATA 3.0 speed (figured it wouldn't matter much) in favor of USB 3.0, which helps a ton when I do my weekly backups. Heck I don't even have PCI-e 3.0.

So if you want proper support for the "latest technologies" you'll want something a bit newer, like a 2000s series or 3000s series at the very least.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 is a pretty decent chip for a budget.

I mean maybe if you find it in a dumpster...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

I mean maybe if you find it in a dumpster...

You can get them pretty cheap, actually. And they still perform fairly well.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, I managed to get one for 10$, though unfortunately the LGA 775 motherboards aren't that cheap.

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends on how cheap I guess, it'd have to be less than the cheapest AM4 system you could do right now IMO

*and yes it's more of the motherboards being an issue.

*Correction, this system has no video outputs. point stands.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dzDwd6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dzDwd6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - A8-9600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($68.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - A320M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $101.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-04 18:34 EDT-0400

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Depends on how cheap I guess, it'd have to be less than the cheapest AM4 system you could do right now IMO

*and yes it's more of the motherboards being an issue.

£10 for a Q6600 and £30 for a motherboard.

Motherboard would be utter garbage but it would work.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

15 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

£10 for a Q6600 and £30 for a motherboard.

Motherboard would be utter garbage but it would work.

OEM motherboards from Compaq & Dell & so forth LGA 755 are around £17 on eBay UK (Just you'd have to be wary incase they don't support quad core chips or need a new BIOS) and the Q6600 £14 average. so for £31 that isn't bad. At very least you have a quad core and a really good upgrade path. And there are thousands of amazing GPUs for under £30 from CEX ect, and combine some of them with a Q6600, a cheap case and a Corsair VS PSU, you'd have a good system for games made before 2016 :D

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

LGA 1366 i7 and Xeon for 1st gen only. Sandy Bridge otherwise.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I have a fully working pentium III build, It can still be used...

to get data of pata drives if your main desktop doesnt have a pata connector...

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

A 2600k is about the same as a ryzen 1400 nowadays. Anything lower is basically not enough for gaming anymore.

The first gen i5's are no where near the performance of an i5 of today.

I picked up an old Medion OEM PC for free. I bought a Xeon X3470 and a GTX 780 off Ebay and now I have a PC which can run all modern titles 1080p on high settings for about 220 euro (including new power supply).

For me it was a pretty good deal compared to buying a new computer, and the graphics performance is way better than that of my GTX960M.