Help my Dell 7577 Notebook Overheating!

Hello ppl, 

I recently purchased a Dell 7577 gaming notebook. I've been playing dauntless and other games and notice my computer fan was really, really loud. so I checked my CPU temp. Guess what, I reached 100-degree Celsius HWmonitor (left), realtemp (right). it really scared me. I ran prime 95, after 2hr of running it, it was around 80 degrees. 

Ive already contacted dell, waiting for the next step as they have to get back to me. 

what should I do? what can i do?

Gaming.PNG

100 degrees isn't uncommon on laptops, especially the 45 watt CPUs, I suggest you just let the cooling do it's thing and do your best to place the laptop in a cool environment with good airflow.

how old is it?

You might want to replace the thermal paste on your cpu (and gpu), I  did this on a mates notebook recently, his "paste" had dried into a solid block...

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

1 minute ago, myselfolli said:

how old is it?

You might want to replace the thermal paste on your cpu (and gpu), I  did this on a mates notebook recently, his "paste" had dried into a solid block...

exactly 30 days ago

Dell 7577 has good cooling so... RMA it, maybe due to poor heatsink mounting. Or try repaste.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, YaqinHasan said:

100 degrees isn't uncommon on laptops, especially the 45 watt CPUs, I suggest you just let the cooling do it's thing and do your best to place the laptop in a cool environment with good airflow.

wont this shorten the lifespan of the notebook/CPU?

6 minutes ago, SirDohm said:

exactly 30 days ago

That shouldn't be the problem then (although I'd keep this in the back of my head in your case).

As @ZM Fong said, maybe just RMA it

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Dell 7577 has good cooling so... RMA it, maybe due to poor heatsink mounting. Or try repaste.

Yeah, im trying that option but dell said the operating limit is105 so its fine. The thing is, the moment i close the game, the temperature would like drastically like from 90ish to 82 in like 5s then 70 and down from there. 

RMA it if it under warranted that is hot. real temp is locking your cores because it to hot. witch means the cpu is clocking down to protect it self. 

Latest update, 

Dell wouldn't allow RMA, instead, they are going to replace the heat sink and motherboard which is refurbished. Isn't refurbished lesser of a quality? 

Also, I've ran some additional test and noticed that the moment turbo boost is off, the temperature doesn't go as high. Could it just be that the CPU is turbo boosting all they way? Like a software issue?

What are the chances that its CPU problem? and not like too much/too little thermal paste or bad mounting? Is there any test I can run before l change for a refurbished motherboard?

In addition, I just bought an Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.  

8 minutes ago, SirDohm said:

Could it just be that the CPU is turbo boosting all they way?

The cooling system can handle full turbo boost 3.4GHz without problem

8 minutes ago, SirDohm said:

they are going to replace the heat sink and motherboard which is refurbished. Isn't refurbished lesser of a quality?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics)

It's fine for me

9 minutes ago, SirDohm said:

What are the chances that its CPU problem? and not like too much/too little thermal paste or bad mounting?

This is commonly due to poor heat sink pressure (mounted uneven) and poor thermal paste job

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

19 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

The cooling system can handle full turbo boost 3.4GHz without problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics)

It's fine for me

This is commonly due to poor heat sink pressure (mounted uneven) and poor thermal paste job

Thank you so much for the response :)  i'll give an update once it's been rectified.  

On 4/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, YaqinHasan said:

What? It's extremely uncommon on laptops. Besides, the 7577 has a very potent cooling system.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

On 4/4/2018 at 8:09 PM, YaqinHasan said:

It's uncommon if it has a crappy cooling system, like the Razer Blade.

The 7577 has a cooling system more than good enough to allow a 1060 Max-Q to be overclocked to stock levels. Even my GL502VM doesn't get that warm when playing Forza Horizon 3.

OP, once it gets back, do some more tests and see if it still thermal throttles.

Something else worries me though. Looking at the screenshot, the CPU package itself is definitely dangerously close to TJ Max, but why is it still at 3.4GHz boost? Most laptops would begin to wind down their turbos at 90 degrees.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 4/4/2018 at 2:09 PM, YaqinHasan said:

Not this one, these Inspiron laptops have excellent cooling

edit: while fiddling with all these temp programs did you not perhaps set the CPU voltage higher or something? 

That's an F in the profile pic

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 12:56 PM, SirDohm said:

Thank you so much for the response :)  i'll give an update once it's been rectified.  

Any update on the issue? I also bought a 7577 3 months back and i am also experiencing the exact same issue. I am curious as to whether a thermal paste replacement would work or not.

On 4/7/2018 at 2:23 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

the CPU package itself is definitely dangerously close to TJ Max, but why is it still at 3.4GHz boost? Most laptops would begin to wind down their turbos at 90 degrees.

TJ Max for the 7700HQ is 100°C so it is not close to TJ Max, it is hitting TJ Max.  It is thermal throttling (slowing down) and reducing performance because it is running too hot.  Intel designs their CPUs so they will continue to use as much Turbo Boost as possible, right up until they reach the thermal throttling temperature.  Slowing down a little at 90°C sounds like a good idea but it is not how Intel designed their CPUs to work.   

On 4/4/2018 at 6:21 AM, SirDohm said:

but dell said the operating limit is105 so its fine

That statement is not true.  Maybe the person you spoke to needs to read the Intel documentation.  This information is publicly available and easy to find.    

https://ark.intel.com/products/97185/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

On 4/23/2018 at 4:55 AM, theplayer473 said:

and i am also experiencing the exact same issue.

The heatsink and fan combination is borderline inadequate.  Do some Google research about under volting.  Reducing the CPU Core and CPU Cache voltage will reduce the maximum power consumption, heat output and core temperatures.  I would do that first and then if you still have problems, time to disassemble and re-engineer the inadequate heatsink assembly.  Sometimes washers can be used to increase the pressure between the heatsink and the CPU and you will need to use the best thermal paste money can buy.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:47 AM, unclewebb said:

TJ Max for the 7700HQ is 100°C so it is not close to TJ Max, it is hitting TJ Max.  It is thermal throttling (slowing down) and reducing performance because it is running too hot.  Intel designs their CPUs so they will continue to use as much Turbo Boost as possible, right up until they reach the thermal throttling temperature.  Slowing down a little at 90°C sounds like a good idea but it is not how Intel designed their CPUs to work. 

I'm kinda sure that 90 is where they start to wind down their turbos unless I'm mistaken

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'm kinda sure that 90 is where they start to wind down their turbos

I have done some high temperature testing on several different CPUs.  They all continued to deliver full turbo boost right up until the time they start thermal throttling.  Here is a pic of my 3570K getting some torture.  The thermal throttling temp for this CPU is 105°C.  It is fully loaded with the hottest core at 101°C and the CPU is still using full turbo boost.  The Intel GPU is also being tortured and it continues to run at full speed.  The RealTemp Thermal Status area reports any thermal throttling and so far it is still showing OK. 

DFZJSCx.png

A laptop that is throttling back turbo boost before 100°C is usually because it has reached the turbo power or current limit, not the thermal throttling limit.  

9 hours ago, unclewebb said:

snip

Plz stop using Prime95 and Furmark. Those things are stupid. They basically throw as much voltage as the chips will take and try to overheat it. Bad benching software.

Replace them with OCCT and Unigine Heaven.

As for your problem, Dell's famous 105C is a famous party line. Just give them some bullshit that its thermally shutting down in extended use cause 100c while fine for chips is too hot for its surrounding and RMA the fuck out of it. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 4/4/2018 at 2:09 PM, YaqinHasan said:

Not this laptop, it has really solid cooling. 

@OP Prime95 is a very unrealistic load on the CPU and isn't representative of what you see in any normal usage. Were you perhaps using the laptop on a bed or something where it wasn't getting air? Note that you want some room behind the vents for the exhaust 

Edit: after reading the whole thread I'm kinda in shock... 

You're welcome to run your hardware however you please, but in a laptop those temps mean that the surrounding components are also going to suffer, along with super loud fan noise and also reduced fan life.

First try undervolting, then try returning the laptop, if those don't work I would do a repaste 

That's an F in the profile pic

• 1 month later...

I have this laptop, turn the cpu down to 70 and power mode at better performance

• 2 months later...