What should I know before I start driving?

dcgreen2k

I'm getting my learner's permit tomorrow, and I'd like to know if you guys have any tips that might help me. I sure have seen my fair share of dumbasses on the road, so I know what to look for and how to react to those situations. Thankfully, I'm not obsessed with speed (yet)...

If you want an example of horrible driving, I remember an SUV getting off of a highway exit ramp on to a 4 lane road, and then crossing all the way over to the leftmost lane without turn signals. If that doesn't sound stupid enough, they cut off a car and proceeded to crash into the 6 inch tall median...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

The gas pedal is the one on the right.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Be courteous and respectful to other drivers, even if some of them are selfish morons. Keep emotions in check. Leave a few seconds of room behind the driver ahead. (Seriously, this helps you and the person driving close behind you).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

31 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I'm getting my learner's permit tomorrow, and I'd like to know if you guys have any tips that might help me. I sure have seen my fair share of dumbasses on the road, so I know what to look for and how to react to those situations. Thankfully, I'm not obsessed with speed (yet)...

If you want an example of horrible driving, I remember an SUV getting off of a highway exit ramp on to a 4 lane road, and then crossing all the way over to the leftmost lane without turn signals. If that doesn't sound stupid enough, they cut off a car and proceeded to crash into the 6 inch tall median...

Don't forget to change your blinker fluid. That's why that person didn't use their signals, they didn't work because of lack of blinker fluid. 

Happy April Fools.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Don't try ramming people outta the way, even if you have a land rover that is off road prepared.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

31 minutes ago, xriqn said:

Don't try ramming people outta the way, even if you have a land rover that is off road prepared.

I'm not sure I could do that in my 900kg, 100hp, tiny car... 

47 minutes ago, spwath said:

The gas pedal is the one on the right.

No, those are the brakes.

37 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Don't forget to change your blinker fluid. That's why that person didn't use their signals, they didn't work because of lack of blinker fluid. 

Happy April Fools.

I almost forgot about those, which reminds me: I need to change the muffler bearings as well because they're getting kind of old.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Ever play gta? Don’t drive anywhere close to how you would drive when playing

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

No, those are the brakes.

I almost forgot about those, which reminds me: I need to change the muffler bearings as well because they're getting kind of old.

This week we're going over replacing piston return strings, don't forget those. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Ever play gta? Don’t drive anywhere close to how you would drive when playing

We all tried to drive “normally” in GTA. It just turns out that the crazy way we drive on GTA seems to be “normal” for a good chunk of the people on the road :P 

That's an F in the profile pic

8 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

We all tried to drive “normally” in GTA. It just turns out that the crazy way we drive on GTA seems to be “normal” for a good chunk of the people on the road :P 

By normal, do you mean waiting for the green light? No player ever does that in gta

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

By normal, do you mean waiting for the green light? No player ever does that in gta

Nahh, everyone I know does it at least for some time. There are tons of memes on it too, so I assumed it’s common

That's an F in the profile pic

you're driving a big hunk of metal with controlled explosions being the source of movement, remember that. Never underestimate a road and never overestimate your driving ability.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

practice reversing and parking, especially without backup cameras. i know in the US backup cameras will be required in new cars past 2018 but you will run into a car that doesn't have one

keep your road rage in check 

1. Maintenance on your car, make sure you do it. 
  2. Keep some money in your car, like $20 in case you need gas, but dont have money or the card machine is not working
  3. Try to keep your road rage in check, I know this one is hard
  4. Remember you have two middle fingers, they are about to be used extensively 
  5. Remember they tell you to go slower if some one is tail gating you, specifically if some one is in front of you. Remember to go slower just to be a prick because the guy tail gating you is in a hurry and your not if your following the 6th suggestion. 
  6. Always leave early so you have enough time to get where you want to go. Remember 10 min early your on time, on time your late and late your fired. 
  7. Oh and the biggest one, dont use a god damn mother fucking cell phone when your driving. This is how a shit load of people DIE
  8. Drive sober or get pulled over, over the limit under arrest (Tips from the Michigan State Police)

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Green means go, yellow means go faster and red means redline the engine before people cross. I'd suggest driving by the book until you pass your actual test. Like stopping at the stop signs, check and then pull up and check if needed. Or going to the speed limit exactly or under. 

Ps. Don't even try calling me out, you all know damn well you guys don't follow every single little thing exactly, I know you 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just be a safe person on the Road. You have to be a Defensive Driver, another reason I've Neverrrr been in a wreck.

Always keep your cool while driving even though you want to curse those people in front of you. You might want to invest in a dash cam. Also, always remember BLOWBAG before driving. 

BFE2B84E-B78E-4177-AB27-58673EB59A3D.jpeg.343bc4a0873f16d6baff6995a4bea821.jpeg

Also, don’t drink and drive. Don’t text and drive. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

To add to what others have said, keep calm. ALWAYS. When (not if) someone does something stupid around you, do not panic and instead do what you can to (safely) give them room and otherwise remove yourself from that dangerous situation.

Also, pay attention to the car in front of you and if possible, the car in front of them. The latter give you the opportunity to spot a dangerous situation long before it would normally become apparent.

Keep a mental idea of what your immediate surroundings are. For example, in the event that you must swerve around an obstacle it would be helpful to know whether there is a car in your blind spot on either side. You don't have time to check your mirrors in that situation so the awareness must be there ahead of time.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Use your turn signals, and always check your blind spots when changing lanes/merging.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Use your turn signals, and always check your blind spots when changing lanes/merging.

This, right here, combined with: Accelerate up to highway speed in the Merge Lane, not after the Merge Lane. Accelerating post-merge lane is how you get rear ended. If you're in a slow car, this will likely require foot to the floor acceleration, and that won't hurt the car.

Always assume the other driver didn't see you, or if they did, they won't let you in-- don't stress about it, and let them win. You don't have enough experience to judge whether you can make it or not.

Everyone else on the road is a distracted idiot. Drive ultra conservatively and defensively.

Finally, and this is for when you've got a couple years under your belt -- mpg is inversely correlated with driving fun.

elderly are worth double the points

get a dashcam (new version of mine: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Wide-Angle-Dashboard-Recording-Additional/dp/B0771DYFTZ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1522688180&sr=8-5&keywords=dash+cam+aukey)

this one is important: if you ever get into a collision, always call the police to the scene and have them file a police report. Even if you get harassed by the other driver or if they try to say that they're in a hurry, let them know that they'll get in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident. Make sure to take photos of the damage and get their plate and insurance. Basic stuff but I've heard horror stories about people who didn't do this and ended up being out several grand in damages.

3 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

This, right here, combined with: Accelerate up to highway speed in the Merge Lane, not after the Merge Lane. Accelerating post-merge lane is how you get rear ended. If you're in a slow car, this will likely require foot to the floor acceleration, and that won't hurt the car.

Always assume the other driver didn't see you, or if they did, they won't let you in-- don't stress about it, and let them win. You don't have enough experience to judge whether you can make it or not.

Everyone else on the road is a distracted idiot. Drive ultra conservatively and defensively.

Finally, and this is for when you've got a couple years under your belt -- mpg is inversely correlated with driving fun.

This, as well as:

Don't stop at green lights.

Don't speed to make a yellow light.

Please, never slow to just above a complete stop to make a turn.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

mpg is inversely correlated with driving fun.

Sorry officer, I was going 63 kph in a 50 zone to save fuel because my slush box is geared in a way that going 63 allows me to shift up to cruise at 1500RPM while going 50 pins me at 2000RPM. Why are you looking angry at me officer?

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This, as well as:

Don't stop at green lights.

Don't speed to make a yellow light.

Please, never slow to just above a complete stop to make a turn.

^^^^^ YES. Maintain momentum at all costs.

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Sorry officer, I was going 63 kph in a 50 zone to save fuel because my slush box is geared in a way that going 63 allows me to shift up to cruise at 1500RPM while going 50 pins me at 2000RPM. Why are you looking angry at me officer?

That, or "I got 20mpg this last tank, why was I driving so boringly?!?"