People that changed the landscape of video games in 2013!

alchemist11

5T0L7.jpg

As noted by Games Industry (10) and more recently, Develop (25), several people are listed to have made a significant and important change in the landscape of video games for 2013. The people listed are below:

• Neil Druckman, Naughty Dog - For his work (creative director) on The Last of Us, a game that will likely be #1 on many GOTY awards. He was also part of the critically acclaimed Uncharted series.
  • Ken Levine, Irrational Games - For his work (creative director) on Bioshock Infinite, a game that upped the anti from the prequel and told a very unique story. "Bioshock Infinite remind the world that there really is more to this medium than Call of Duty and Candy Crush, and people like Levine can express it in a way that they'll believe."
  • John Carmack, Oculus VR - Not much is known for what he will do for Oculus, but considering he is known to be a legendary figure in video games, it is almost certain whatever he does will be unique, immersive and maybe even change the landscape of video games (again).
  • Adam Orth, Independent - Nothing should be said about this person except the following line, "Deal with it!"
  • Shahid Admad, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe - A former developer that is solely responsible for the massive indie movement on the PlayStation platforms in the last few years. Ranging from simply games such as Mike Bithell's Thomas Was Alone to addictive, 2-D rogue-like games from the Dutch studio Vlambeer.
  • Chris Roberts, Cloud Imperium Games - Not much need to be said for him. Linus has done a fine job on marketing Chris Robert's latest crowd-funded game, Star Citizen.
  • Don Mattrick, Zynga - Nothing positive can be said about Don Mattrick, however he is "well-known" for his disastrous Xbox One reveal followed by the E3 conference, where he was unable to explain or justify the reasons to why Microsoft were doing what they were trying to do.
  • Sam & Dan Houser, Rockstar Games - Founders of Rockstar Games that brought GTA V. Need I say more?
  • Ilkka Paananen, Supercell - Founder & CEO. Supercell is apparently worth $3 billion and it is only three years old.
  • Mark Cerny*, PlayStation/Independent - A protege video game developer that graduated from high school at age 15 and enrolled in University of California at Berkeley to study Physics. Joined Atari when he was 17. Left to join Sega Japan; known for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Sega Genesis. In the 90s, he became the President of Universal Interactive Studios where he spear-headed Naughty Dog and Insominac Games' insignia titles, Crash Bandicoot and Sypro. Now known for being the lead architect of the PlayStation 4 where he made sure development for the system was much easier and less time consuming than the predecessor. *Unlike almost all of the people listed here, Mark does not have a Twitter account and is a very mysterious character. To understand him more, I would recommend watching the YouTube video linked to his name.
  • Brenda Romero, The Loot Drop CEO.
  • Julie Uhrman, Founder of Ouya.
  • Mike Bithell, "Thomas Was Alone" creator.
  • Phil Fish, "Fez" creator. - Featured in the documentary, Indie Game: The Movie.
  • Palmer Luckey, Founder of Oculus Rift.
  • Andrew Wilson, Current CEO of Electronic Arts. - First studio executive to serve as CEO.
  • Sophia George, Rising star on the UK game development scene. - Known for BAFTA award winning title Tick Tock Toys.
  • Jade Raymond, Managing Director of Ubisoft Toronto. - Producer of Splinter Cell: Blacklist.
  • Siobhan Reddy, Co-founder and Studio Director of Media Molecule. - Oversaw PlayStation Vita's hit title, Tearaway.
  • Pew Die Pie, Most Subscribed Youtuber in the World. - Known for helping promote several video games, especially indie video games.
  • Riccardo Zacconi - Co-founder and CEO of King. - King is the developer of the extremely addictive game, Candy Crush Saga.
  • Gabe Newell, Founder of Valve. - Announcement of SteamOS and Steam Machines.
  • Jeri Ellsworth - Former Valve employee and inventor. Known for the crowd-funded castAR augmented reality system.
  • Rhianna Pratchett, Lead Writer of Crystal Dynamics. - Known for reinventing Lara Croft in the latest Tomb Raider video game.
  • Anita Sarkeesian - Known for her crowd-funded Tropes vs Women video series about stereotypes of females in video games.
  • Rockstar's Benzies and Garbut - Developers that are responsible for the current and future vision of GTA.
  • Jonothan Ross, Comedian, Talk Show Host. - Currently part of Microsoft to help promote the brand, namely Xbox One.
  • Chris Charla, Director of Microsoft's indie movement, ID@Xbox.
  • Lucas Pope, independent developer. - Known for his critically acclaimed "Papers, Please" video game.

It is interesting to note that a vast majority of these people are known for console development for their respective games. There has been little to no movement in the PC (Windows and Mac) game development aside from a couple of indie games, announcements from Valve and Star Citizen. It just shows you how important console gaming, or to be precise, couch gaming in front of the TV is, even though some analysts though it would begin to fade after the lack of sales of Nintendo's latest console, the Wii U. This was further justified by the day one record sales by both Microsoft and Sony on their latest consoles, the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

For more details, see the following links:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-14-the-players-class-of-2013

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-16-persons-of-the-year-2013s-best

http://www.develop-online.net/analysis/25-people-that-changed-games-in-2013/0187608

Superman

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Looks like not only Andrew Scott Reisse is gone, but now he's forgotten.

This.

A woman made the new lara Croft? What a regression for women's equality in gaming she should be ashamed.

umm.. No.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I see pewdiepie and that crazy feminist con artist. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Where the Fuck is John Carmack? And Edmund McMillon? sigh...-_-

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Where the Fuck is John Carmack? And Edmund McMillon? sigh... -_-

• John Carmack, Oculus VR - Not much is known for what he will do for Oculus, but considering he is known to be a legendary figure in video games, it is almost certain whatever he does will be unique, immersive and maybe even change the landscape of video games (again).

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

I see pewdiepie and that crazy feminist con artist. 

Glad someone else can see this idiot for what she is and not praise her.

Anita Sarkeesian? Aw no, just no, there is nothing in this women's heart but hate for men and talking crap on games with women characters in them . She has done nothing for the gaming community but waste peoples time.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

i dont know any of them except the two at the top right

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What about Dean Hall for his award winning mod DayZ? Pretty sure he needs to be up there.

That list is terrible.

Why is John Carmack there? I love that guy but he hasn't really done anything this year that has reached consumers yet. I can get Palmer Luckey since he invented the Oculus Rift but why Carmack as well?

Who is Adam Orth and why is he on the list? All I found about him is that he was rude on Twitter. How is that "changing the landscape of video gaming"?

Sorry Chris Roberts but I don't see how you have changed the gaming landscape in 2013. You might do it in 2014 but right now all we have is a nice looking virtual hangar where you can just look around in. Don't see why you're on the list.

Why the hell is Anita Sarkeesian on the list? She doesn't even play or like video games (at least not in 2010). All she does is go on a witch hunt on TVTropes for anything that can be even vaguely interpreted as something negative against women, steals footage of the game from some Let's Player (doesn't ask for permission or anything), rants about how sexist it is and then tries to create Internet drama to increase her views and make money. She completely misinterprets the story of a lot of games (such as Zelda) because she hasn't actually played them. Personally I think Fitzthistlewits has done just as much thanks to his brilliant work on his "Tropes vs Zombies... vs Aliens vs Predator" video series, as Anita has done with her crappy "Tropes vs Zombies" video series.

A lot of the people on the list can be summed up as "being in the team that released a good game does not qualify you as having changed the gaming landscape". I think Pew Die Pie deserves a spot on the list. I really dislike the guy and his fanbase, but he did have a big impact on YouTube's gaming community.

Jonathan Ross? He is just a RP guy. I like his comedy and all, but to say that he has changed gaming in 2013 is just a big fat lie.

0/100, come see me after class.

What about Dean Hall for his award winning mod DayZ? Pretty sure he needs to be up there.

If you're not a fan boy of the whole zombie thing and step back and take a good look at DayZ, it's actually a really bad game/mod.

If you're not a fan boy of the whole zombie thing and step back and take a good look at DayZ, it's actually a really bad game/mod.

Well that's a matter of opinion. In my eyes, I find it amazing how Dean managed to tweak such an old engine. Sure, the melee weapons in the mod absolutely suck, and the zombie AI is quite bad, but other than that it is a cool thing to see how far modding can go. DayZ is probably the best zombie MMO out there, and when you're playing it with friends it's actually extremly fun and immersive. And besides, why are people like John Carmack there? Sure he is a legend, but he hasn't done anything this year except from joining Oculus. In my eyes Dean Hall and the guy who made that amazing Skyrim mod should be up there. They show that if you put enough effort in, modding can be an amazing thing.