Biggest advantages of mATX over ITX?

What, in your opinion, are the biggest drawbacks of ITX format compared to mATX? I will be buying Ryzen 2700 + b450 or x470 and thinking about if I should go for ITX or mATX format. Having smaller computer would be nice, although I would like to keep 2 fan video card + ATX PSU. 

Price. ITX is a classic example of paying more for less.

Resistant to failure. Let's say the onboard LAN port dies after warranty. With mATX mobo you can simply add a cheap PCIe LAN card and call that fixed. With mITX, you are out of luck.

Capability to use PCIe expansion cards for new stuff. same as above

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Yeah, I'd say the expansion slot issue is the main detractor from ITX

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

ITX cases do not support large GPUs in some cases (mostly long and/or tall ones).

ITX cases have worse airflow, depending on the case. This may result in more noise due to fans having to do more work to keep components cool.

Any kind of expansion options - SATA ports, RAM slots, PCI Express slots.

Some ITX cases might not fit ATX PSU, you will need to find SFX then (and these are some what harder to find).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

10 minutes ago, Deivan8 said:

What, in your opinion, are the biggest drawbacks of ITX format compared to mATX? I will be buying Ryzen 2700 + b450 or x470 and thinking about if I should go for ITX or mATX format. Having smaller computer would be nice, although I would like to keep 2 fan video card + ATX PSU. 

ITX is pretty hard to work with. It requires much more planning. You'll get bitten in the ass on things like PSUs with non-modular cables. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

The biggest drawback going with an mITX board is simply you get less expansion capabilities. While people claim you're paying more for less, I see it as I'm using more my board and getting my money's worth.

Regarding the case situation, it depends on the case you get obviously. I've had the BitFenix Prodigy and Corsair 250D. Both were fine cases if you're packing high performance components or need more room to work with. I currently use a Silverstone FTZ-01, and it holds its own well.

But really, you should plan your system for what you are going to be using and are really sure you'll be using. I don't think it's worthwhile to buy a board capable of multi-GPU just because you want the capability to do it but you're not committed to the idea, for example.

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The biggest drawback going with an mITX board is simply you get less expansion capabilities. While people claim you're paying more for less, I see it as I'm using more my board and getting my money's worth.

Regarding the case situation, it depends on the case you get obviously. I've had the BitFenix Prodigy and Corsair 250D. Both were fine cases if you're packing high performance components or need more room to work with. I currently use a Silverstone FTZ-01, and it holds its own well.

But really, you should plan your system for what you are going to be using and are really sure you'll be using. I don't think it's worthwhile to buy a board capable of multi-GPU just because you want the capability to do it but you're not committed to the idea, for example.

Currently my biggest dilema is If I want to keep ATX PSU, is it really worth it to go ITX? Basically, biggest space savings with cases happens with getting SF power supply. With ATX PSU, differences between mATX and ITX are minor. I currently have Thermaltake Core V21 and thinking going for Thermaltake Core V1 or Fractal Design Define Mini C Tempered Glass mATX (maybe ITX Fractal Design Define Nano S ITX Case but I am a bit worried about GPU clearance.  I want to make my pc as portable as possible as I will be studying next year in a different city. I can't find spending that much on SF power supply, especially then I already have M12II 620w Seasonic PSU. Selling it for less and getting new one would be just wasting money.

4 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Price. ITX is a classic example of paying more for less.

Resistant to failure. Let's say the onboard LAN port dies after warranty. With mATX mobo you can simply add a cheap PCIe LAN card and call that fixed. With mITX, you are out of luck.

Capability to use PCIe expansion cards for new stuff. same as above

What other PCIe expansion cards could be used? 

5 hours ago, Deivan8 said:

What other PCIe expansion cards could be used? 

M.2 Storage (with NVMe support) cards,

SATA ports cards,

Wifi and Bluetooth cards (some come with both function in one card),

Audio cards,

TV tuner cards (yes, watching TV programmes with a PC is a thing),

Radio capture card,

USB 3.0 cards (type A and Type C connectors available),

U.2 cards,

mSATA cards (for using some laptop storage drives),

mPCIe cards (for using laptop WiFi and BT cards),

MXM cards (some removable laptop graphics cards use MXM, so you can you one in a PC for fun I guess), 

Some processors for certain workloads, like Red Rocket for R3D workflow.

/yeah, a lot of stuff most people dont end up using even though they can

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

With AMD it's been poor board choice. None of the ITX boards currently out are particularly good. That might change with the launch of the 400 series chipset though, we'll have to wait and see. Other than that you just lose the ability to add additional add in cards. Only you can really tell us if that's a drawback for you or not, as it'll very much come down to your use case.

Personally I love ITX boards, especially ones that have a couple m.2 slots. Removes any need for the additional cabling.

18 hours ago, Deivan8 said:

Currently my biggest dilema is If I want to keep ATX PSU, is it really worth it to go ITX? Basically, biggest space savings with cases happens with getting SF power supply. With ATX PSU, differences between mATX and ITX are minor. I currently have Thermaltake Core V21 and thinking going for Thermaltake Core V1 or Fractal Design Define Mini C Tempered Glass mATX (maybe ITX Fractal Design Define Nano S ITX Case but I am a bit worried about GPU clearance.  I want to make my pc as portable as possible as I will be studying next year in a different city. I can't find spending that much on SF power supply, especially then I already have M12II 620w Seasonic PSU. Selling it for less and getting new one would be just wasting money.

There are lots of small cases that use ATX power supplies. Though, honestly, I'd look into replacing that unit anyway; it's not the greatest PSU.

You will always get less than what you sell something for. What's the bigger waste, getting nothing for it and having it sit on a shelf, or recouping at least some of the value? I'd say it's the former.

You're looking at pretty big ITX cases. If you're getting something that size, I'd just go with microATX.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 21/03/2018 at 5:25 PM, dizmo said:

With AMD it's been poor board choice. None of the ITX boards currently out are particularly good. That might change with the launch of the 400 series chipset though, we'll have to wait and see. Other than that you just lose the ability to add additional add in cards. Only you can really tell us if that's a drawback for you or not, as it'll very much come down to your use case.

Personally I love ITX boards, especially ones that have a couple m.2 slots. Removes any need for the additional cabling.

There are lots of small cases that use ATX power supplies. Though, honestly, I'd look into replacing that unit anyway; it's not the greatest PSU.

You will always get less than what you sell something for. What's the bigger waste, getting nothing for it and having it sit on a shelf, or recouping at least some of the value? I'd say it's the former.

You're looking at pretty big ITX cases. If you're getting something that size, I'd just go with microATX.

I don't see myself using any of those cards anytime soon. If you're saying M12-620 is not good, what would you consider decent? Platinum/gold something like RMx? :D It's still a good PSU, a bit weaker than Corsair's CX but definitely more than enough for majority of users. Especially that even with ryzen 2700x + gtx 1080 and both heavily OC I wouldn't draw that much power to stress the PSU.
image.png.d09d1046eecede828a8c78a44e5df012.png
As for Cases, I made best cases list, most of them focusing on ATX PSUs (some exceptions). If Fractal Design Nano was a bit more smaller than that, I would go for it. Sadly, it's similar to Mini C TG, just shorter ~7cm in one dimension. Which would you pick if you would insist on staying with ATX PSU?

mATX wins in price, expansion, voltage regulation (more room for a beefier VRM), standard ATX power supply selection.

ITX wins on... size.

I love my mini ITX system personally, I don't want a big honking PC case in my office/living room. I use the Silverstone Sugo 13, which is pretty darn small, but I managed to get a full size GTX 980Ti in there.

Yeah, the motherboards are usually about 20-30$ more expensive than mATX. And usually you get only 2 instead of 4 RAM slots and less PCI slots.

If you don't care about the size of your PC, best stick with micro ATX to save some money and make your life easier. If you want to build your PC as compact as possible (mine fits in a standard backpack!) then ITX is the way to go.

I would say the advantage of mATX is still often having 4 DIMM slots for memory.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

I love my mini ITX system personally, I don't want a big honking PC case in my office/living room. I use the Silverstone Sugo 13, which is pretty darn small, but I managed to get a full size GTX 980Ti in there.

Yeah, the motherboards are usually about 20-30$ more expensive than mATX. And usually you get only 2 instead of 4 RAM slots and less PCI slots.

If you don't care about the size of your PC, best stick with micro ATX to save some money and make your life easier. If you want to build your PC as compact as possible (mine fits in a standard backpack!) then ITX is the way to go.

Ehh, my PSU is a bit too long by 1-2cm for that case. How is it for you? Share a pic and specs. Would be nice to see it.

3 hours ago, Deivan8 said:

Ehh, my PSU is a bit too long by 1-2cm for that case. How is it for you? Share a pic and specs. Would be nice to see it.

Yeah I am using a SFX PSU, which is also usually more expensive than a ATX PSU. Although the case supports standard size ATX PSU's if I am not mistaken. Good quality SFX PSU's for 450Watt are about $90 compared to maybe $50 for standard ATX (gold rated, modular).

Don't have a pic, but these are my specs:

- Motherboard: MSI h110i pro

- CPU: i5 6600

- CPU Cooler: be Quiet Shadow rock LP

- Memory: 2x8GB DDR4

- GPU: EVGA GTX 980TI SC

- Front intake fan: Noctua 140mm

- PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G Gold rated fully modular 450W

- SSD: Samsung 840 Evo SATA.

It is tight, but everything fits quite comfortably actually. The front 140mm fan is temp controlled by the CPU temp, so under load it can ramp up and airflow is actually quite good. GPU has a side vent to draw cold air from, runs very cool (around 70C OC'd and on standard Fan curve).

Only issue with these small cases is cable management. You might want to opt for an M.2 SSD like some people suggest instead of a 2.5" SSD (saves 2 cables: power cable and Sata cable). That, combined with a fully modular PSU helps a lot with cable clutter.

(I don't recommend my PSU btw, it is pretty loud under load. I have heard good things of the Be quiet or Corsair SFX PSU's)