Huawei P20 Lite released - Dual cameras and a notch for 370 euros

Djole123

So, Huawei has teased, leaked and hinted us with possible features of their new P20 series of smartphones, and today, we finally have the first device from the series, the P20 Lite.

Photo:

Huawei P20 Lite

Man I'm having some deja vu here, it's almost like i've seen this kind of design before...

Yeah, it's a pretty blatant ripoff of the iPhone X design, with a notch on top and the dual vertical cameras, but it also has the chin on the bottom which to some might be OK, but for me is very unpleasant to look at.

Some of the other specs include an octa core Kirin 659 CPU (also found in the Mate 10 Lite and the Honor 9 Lite), 4GB of RAM, 64/128 GB of internal storage with SD card support, dual 16+2MP cameras and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The price is pretty steep at 370 euros, considering that you can get the similarly specced Honor 9 Lite for much less, but it really comes down to do you want to trade the upper bezel for a notch.

No official word on the regular P20/P20 Plus, but they should be coming in around a week.

Source:

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p20_lite_goes_official_officially_this_time-news-30176.php

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

7 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

3.5mm headphone jack.

At least they got one thing right.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

meanwhile the s9+ I'm currently loving has a more than slime enough top bezel while not having that fugly notch in my way.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I just can't bring myself to consider a Huawei device.

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

meanwhile the s9+ I'm currently loving has a more than slime enough top bezel while not having that fugly notch in my way.

Haha, some people like the notch. I'd rather have a notch than a bezel, as long as it's implemented correctly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha, some people like the notch. I'd rather have a notch than a bezel, as long as it's implemented correctly.

But the notch is notably deeper from the top of the device than the bezel, which is exactly what you are looking for really. And it currently isn't implemented well. 

Screen to body ratio for iPhone X 81.49%, for the S9+ 84% (same for the S9). 

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What is wrong with huawei?

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

But the notch is notably deeper from the top of the device than the bezel, which is exactly what you are looking for really. And it currently isn't implemented well. 

Screen to body ratio for iPhone X 81.49%, for the S9+ 84% (same for the S9). 

I think that's greatly aided by the curved nature of the Samsung screen.

Consider the Zenfone 5. It's north of 90% screen to body.

What's held beside the bezels is below the bezel on a regular device. So you gain that little bit of space. I don't mind it at all, but that's my opinion. Of course nothing is perfect when it's new, and that's why Android P will greatly aid these phones.

Just now, Walt said:

What is wrong with huawei?

Their SoC's aren't that great (P20 devices are significantly behind SD845 devices), and if they don't specify UFS storage, you might not get it; even on flagship devices. They just throw in whatever's handy. Which, to me, is completely unacceptable.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I like the design of the phone. And they even managed to keep the headphone jack and have the fingerprint in what i think is the best location.

Shame that they dont use better SOC in their systems or i would be really interested in it. My N5x is really starting to show its age.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Those cases are perfect for fingerprint evidence. Oh yeah and notches can go to hell.

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

and if they don't specify UFS storage, you might not get it; even on flagship devices. They just throw in whatever's handy. Which, to me, is completely unacceptable.

Doesn't Huawei usually have really good storage on their flagships?

Chart-12.png

Chart-13.png

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Doesn't Huawei usually have really good storage on their flagships?

If you get one with UFS, sure. With the Huawei P9 some people were getting eMCC memory, which is significantly slower. Huawei's reasoning: We didn't specify memory type on the spec sheet.

Reviewers, of course, got cherry picked units.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

If I like the design do you advise me to buy it? Or are the specs significantly worse for the price then other phones?

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

If I like the design do you advise me to buy it? Or are the specs significantly worse for the price then other phones?

Yes, the specs are my issue. You can get the Honor 9 Lite, with the same SoC (but has a bit worse camera and micro-B instead of Type C) for about 250 euros, a 120 euro delta compared to the P20 Lite, however because of the much more agressive marketing of the P series over the Honor series, people are going to buy the P20 Lite regardless.

Honestly, if you don't have to, don't get the P20 series, and wait for the next Honor series of phones. Much better value for money.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Man I'm having some deja vu here, it's almost like i've seen this kind of design before...

Yeah, it's a pretty blatant ripoff of the iPhone X design, with a notch on top and the dual vertical cameras, but it also has the chin on the bottom which to some might be OK, but for me is very unpleasant to look at.

I think it would look somewhat better if it didnt plaster the logo on the Chin. its not the best looking phone but for buget phones id let a small chin pass but then again could maybe be cheaper without the notch too. 

19 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Yes, the specs are my issue. You can get the Honor 9 Lite, with the same SoC (but has a bit worse camera and micro-B instead of Type C) for about 250 euros, a 120 euro delta compared to the P20 Lite, however because of the much more agressive marketing of the P series over the Honor series, people are going to buy the P20 Lite regardless.

Honestly, if you don't have to, don't get the P20 series, and wait for the next Honor series of phones. Much better value for money.

Thanks! How long do will it take before the honor series get out?

notchs suck imo hope google doesn't add one on the pixel 3

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

25 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

I think it would look somewhat better if it didnt plaster the logo on the Chin. its not the best looking phone but for buget phones id let a small chin pass but then again could maybe be cheaper without the notch too. 

370 euros is by no means budget tho

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

They are really jacking up the prices. The P10 Lite launched at like €320 or so but I picked up mine two months later for €180 on sale. I'm guessing those sales will end too when they feel their market position is firm.

This is one seems like last year's phone in a new package with a small bump to screen and camera.

38 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Their SoC's aren't that great (P20 devices are significantly behind SD845 devices), and if they don't specify UFS storage, you might not get it; even on flagship devices. They just throw in whatever's handy. Which, to me, is completely unacceptable.

Their SoC business is on a different schedule. So Qualcomm managed to implement A75 cores versus Huawei still toying with A73. If you talk GPU, then sure. Adreno is the undisputed king.  

Last year CPU performance was mostly the same. But either way it's irrelevant because it doesn't ship with a flagship SoC. What you can accuse Huawei of is refreshing the same mid tier chip for like 2 or 3 years straight. It's the same chip as last year with a minor speed bump from what I can tell.

The storage thing is true though. It does seem to be a bigger problem in China and other parts of Asia than in Europe.

But this is irrelevant for this model too. I'm quite sure it's eMMC across the board.

52 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you get one with UFS, sure. With the Huawei P9 some people were getting eMCC memory, which is significantly slower. Huawei's reasoning: We didn't specify memory type on the spec sheet.

Reviewers, of course, got cherry picked units.

Damn I didn't know that... that really sucks.

If only they used UFS all the time... their NAND performance is really REALLY good...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

31 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

370 euros is by no means budget tho

S9+ in Germany is 950 Euros

S9+ in UK is 870 euros 

Iphone 8 Plus in UK  800 euros 

Iphone X in UK 1000 euros

370 euros is Less then 50% of the price of flagship offerings from The two best selling flagship companies. Id consider if your making comparisons to Flagship phones taking into account the huge price difference it is by comparison a budget phone.  Budget is all relevant to the conversation and doesn't have a hard $ that makes something budget or not. To me the complaint it doesn't hide the Chin like the Iphone X does is a comparison to a 1000 dollar phone which in this comparison its a budget option. 

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I think that's greatly aided by the curved nature of the Samsung screen.

Consider the Zenfone 5. It's north of 90% screen to body.

What's held beside the bezels is below the bezel on a regular device. So you gain that little bit of space. I don't mind it at all, but that's my opinion. Of course nothing is perfect when it's new, and that's why Android P will greatly aid these phones.

That isn't quite true. You don't want a notch that is smaller than a line of display text (for design integration reasons), so they make it exactly that height, even if the bezel could be even smaller. The notch is approximately 12mm tall. (I say approximately because no one seems to have cared to properly measure in anything other than pixels, and I'm giving myself a +/- 2 mm cushion here. plus the overall screen bezel needs to still be added). The S9-series phones for example have a top bezel that is approximately 7mm thick to the edge of the frame. Obviously an extreme example, but if you look at the other notched phones this year, I honestly ask myself, why the fuck is the thickness from the top of the phone increasing now? It is just to have a "sufficiently pronounced" notch? Because that does seem counter to the real goal of the people pushing edge to edge displays.

Like look at that crap... 

LEAGOO S9

Obvious semi-extreme example, but still.

Now... in theory they could make a notch that is exactly the required height (and width) and gain the best of both (although, I don't actually think it's worth the other compromises that occur in software/hardware. That is a separate debate.), but I don't think they will do that anytime soon (again because it's all about the design language.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

After using Huaweis for some time now i find their version of Android one of the best there are.

MAIN BUILD!

19 hours ago, Djole123 said:

I feel you don't know that...

Spoiler

Honor is owned by Huawei....

20 hours ago, Drak3 said:

At least they got one thing right.

They get clogged up a lot with fluff on the p9 lite, hoping they've moved it now