Vive Pro Launch

Sniperfox47

I have no idea why this isn't up on here yet, but here goes:

desktop-mian-min.png

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/03/19/complete-htc-vive-pro-preorder-and-purchasing-guide

The price and release date for the HTC Vive Pro were announced today, and you can pre-order your own starting right now.  HTC also announced the price of the original Vive is dropping to $499 permanently, so if you'd rather save money on the best VR headset on the market (at least until the Pro releases), this is a great price.

The good news is the Vive pro officially releases today for pre-purchase with the units shipping early July. Seems they slightly missed their windows of Q1, but everything else seems to be to plan.

The $799 HTC Vive Pro doesn't include accessories. That means no controllers, no base stations, and no wireless adapter (which hasn't released yet anyway).

The bad news is, it starts at 1000CAD, and doesn't include any of the controllers or tracking hardware. The headset is SteamVR 2.0 but the SteamVR 2.0 controllers and base stations sadly have not yet launched.

If you already have the SteamVR 1.0 controllers and base stations from the original Vive, the Vive Pro is compatible with them, but without any of the benefits of the new tracking (support for larger play spaces, more base stations, more accurate close-range distance tracking, info communicated via the IR signal, etc.)

With the announcement of the HTC Vive Pro price and release date, HTC lowered the price on the original unit to $499.

They also knocked $100 off the orignal Vive. That's now 699CAD for those of you here in Canada, rather than the previous 799.

Word of warning to anyone looking to buy one, I was looking over the various options today and if you want the SteamVR 1.0 gear (controllers/lighthouses) to go with it, just buy a normal Vive on the side. At the moment a Vive is substantially cheaper than two controllers and two base stations.

I really don't know what to do. On the one side it's cheaper than I thought. On the other, none of the other hardware has launched to go with it. I'd love to see what people think and any suggestions other have. 

Looks cool. Most VR stuff is too expensive for me to buy still, but I'm very excited to see an improved Vive. 

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

"the best headset on the market"

lol no obvious paid shilling there

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

Just now, violentnumeric said:

"the best headset on the market"

lol no obvious paid shilling there

...it is... The only thing "better" is the Samsung Odyssey, and there you have the crappy Windows MR controllers.

what is the benefit of the vive pro versus a vive? (i own a vive)

Just now, Genericplane said:

what is the benefit of the vive pro versus a vive? (i own a vive)

Higher resolution screens.

Built in audio that's better than the deluxe audio strap.

Readjusted weight distribution so it feels lighter (even though it's actually heavier).

A new link box with a single-cable tether and built in power button.

DisplayPort rather than HDMI.

Higher density screens for less screen-door effect.

And SteamVR Tracking 2.0 support which I summarized in the OP. Basically a new lighthouse tracking system that is lighter/cheaper/more accurate/does more. But the hardware for it isn't out yet.

Are there places that carry these and let you demo this stuff?  I'm very curious but not curious to drop $1000 on it.

I did test out the Playstation VR at a local EB Games but the field of view was like walking around with tunnel vision.

5 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Are there places that carry these and let you demo this stuff?  I'm very curious but not curious to drop $1000 on it.

I did test out the Playstation VR at a local EB Games but the field of view was like walking around with tunnel vision.

It hasn't even shipped yet.

There have been demos at a few tech events like the Ready Player One movie announce event, but no retail demos.

There are a number of places that have demos of the classic Vive. I believe in the US Bestbuy does. I'm not sure where if there's any place here in Canada other than the VR arcades.

I don't see the point. the Vive is more than good enough as it is.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Ehhhhh. Pass.

At this point one might as well just wait for the Vive 2.0. Especially considering this doesn't include any of the necessary controllers.

It just seems like a way to milk current Vive owners for more money.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

That's what they used to say about the horse and carriage ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

If it's anything like the Vive, retail demos will be something totally paid for by the store.

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

No, it and the Rift are decent, but thwy need alot of improvement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

id like to try it and see how it compares to the original vive i had played with for a few hours and was... impressed but dissapointed by the resolution and stuff.

I think this one will be a little better... but you literally need 4K screens in front of your eyes IMO for VR to be a truly amazing experience.

But we probably won't get that anytime soon. At least not with current GPU's and tech. Maybe that LG thing someone had posted about recently, will come to pass in a few years.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Is the support for shitty eyes in it yet?

or is lasik the hip way to use vr?

Just now, hobobobo said:

Is the support for shitty eyes in it yet?

If you mean can you wear your glasses under it? Yeah, it's way better for that than the original Vive. The auto lens adjustment also works well with glasses.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

If you mean can you wear your glasses under it? Yeah, it's way better for that than the original Vive. The auto lens adjustment also works well with glasses.

That is nice, but im mostly about special lenses for the device

Eh, if we carry them at work I'll take a look. Not into buying the controllers and base stations separate.

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Just to clarify, ive tried Vive with my glasses, and unless i get big roundish lenses - a bit a of the screen is out of focus and seeing the glasses themselves while in vr feels somehow weird

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

Eh, if we carry them at work I'll take a look. Not into buying the controllers and base stations separate.

When the SteamVR 2.0 stuff is available there will probably be a kit. The 2.0 lighthouses are still in fairly limited supply from Valve so that might have been what's held things up this long.

And just to clarify HTC themselves have officially said the 2.0 controllers they release for the Vive Pro will be updated Vive wands, not Valve's "Knuckles" controller.

5 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Just to clarify, ive tried Vive with my glasses, and unless i get big roundish lenses - a bit a of the screen is out of focus and seeing the glasses themselves while in vr feels somehow weird

11 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

if im honest its easier to see withought glasses, though maybe thats different with far sighted people. (im near sighted myself)

Meh, the VR fad is pretty much over at this point. The only way they will ever make it big is by these companies working with VR arcades to make it popular enough that price makes a steep drop. 

33 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's what they used to say about the horse and carriage ;)

Also what people said about basically every screen resolution that was created.

34 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If it's anything like the Vive, retail demos will be something totally paid for by the store.

No, it and the Rift are decent, but thwy need alot of improvement.

Most important they need games

A bit off topic but what on Earth ever happened to the Rift? It was the next big thing for several years and then HTC just went "got ya bitch" and beat them to the punch and was way better. That's my interpretation at least. 

It seems like the Vive is where its at and nothing coming from the other team. What the hell happened?

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

A bit off topic but what on Earth ever happened to the Rift? It was the next big thing for several years and then HTC just went "got ya bitch" and beat them to the punch and was way better. That's my interpretation at least. 

It seems like the Vive is where its at and nothing coming from the other team. What the hell happened?

Boink