[New Update] WESG under fire for providing hotels with "Horrific living conditions" at the WESG Major

ItsMitch

Sources: WESG - Redbull's Nechio -  C9 Tarik - Dotesports - https://dotesports.com/counter-strike/news/players-dangerous-hotel-living-conditions-wesg-march-2018-21782

Over the past 24 hours, professional players from Starcraft 2 ($400'000 Prize pool), CS-GO ($1'500'000 Prize Pool) and DOTA 2 ($1'500'000) have spoken out about the horrendous accommodation provided by WESG. 

WESG did initially provide the players with a hotel but it seems that WESG failed to verify the Hotel's living conditions and players have arrived the hotel royally pissed off by it. Players are reporting mold, brown water, dust, cockroaches and poor infrastructure. 

A number of players competing at WESG's CS:GO World Finals this week are complaining of poor living conditions at their hotel.

The hotel rooms provided by WESG contain brown water, dust, mold, cockroaches, and poor infrastructure—all of which are serious health concerns. This situation apparently happened because WESG's original hotel provider said that they "can't accommodate" the players attending the $1.5 million event, according to Cloud9's Will "RUSH" Wierzba.

Related: Team Ukraine to miss WESG due to s1mple's absence

The hotel conditions were so bad that North American favorite Cloud9 even went to a different hotel. "The hotel WESG provided is unacceptable," C9's Tarik Celik said on Twitter. "It's probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed at."

Artur "Nerchio" Bloch, a StarCraft2 player staying at the hotel, also provided evidence of what appears to be mold near the air conditioner.

They went on to provide pictures and to be honest, it's fucking disgusting. [Make sure you've eaten before you look, fairly gnarly]

Spoiler

WESG later provided an official statement apologizing for the hotel issues and promised to resolve the issues.

This in my eyes is completely unacceptable from WESG, If you're going to host a huge major through 3 games, at least check the damn hotels to make sure your players are living in decent conditions and not let them wake up to a surprise. It's pretty sad that this has happened and I do feel bad for the players who had to put up with it. But yeah... Big yikes from me. Makes me not want to travel across the globe to watch events sometimes. 

Update

Players have since been provided new accommodation and WESG has apologized once again

wow that's bad. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I don't think it should be their responsibility. Afterall, players should be out of the rooms majority of the day. 

This is just making drama out of nothing. 

1 minute ago, Yoola said:

I don't think it should be their responsibility. Afterall, players should be out of the rooms majority of the day. 

WESG was the ones that provided the hotels and the players have to sleep in that place, If you lived there how'd you react? It's irrelevant that they're out of their rooms, long hard day of work (yes gaming is working if ur making money) and you go back to a shit hole of a hotel? Nah. Of course you'll raise a stink about it. 

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

WESG was the ones that provided the hotels and the players have to sleep in that place, If you lived there how'd you react? 

I'd find another one if I didn't like one provided. 

They are providing the accomodation, it's their problem. 

By that logic, all hotels are fine, and all those "serious health concerns" are nothing, because all guests should be out of the rooms the majority of the day. 

I'm hope I won't ever encounter you when booking a trip. 

:)

3 minutes ago, Yoola said:

If only it's as simple as that during a major..... 

13 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Then what's the point of WESG providing one? The players should have the luxury to have a hotel room without complete sh*t in them...

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

You forgot Dota 2 with $1.5m price pool.

I'm waiting for SingSing to bitch about this.  xD

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

17 minutes ago, Yoola said:

You couldn't pay me to sleep there one night, ever. Well I would if the price was good enough but it would be in the hundreds of thousands.

Meh, looks alright.  It's just gamers not like they're actual people, or even pets of actual people.

/s

I don't even want to guess how many S.O.S pads I'd go through scrubbing my skin 'clean' after walking through a place like that.  Sorta feel the need to after just seeing the pictures.

It's so simple. If you don't like it just move. Why is everyone expecing them being treated like high profile people? 

Every organizator ever makes mistakes, and especially if they're making a trip to somehwere they haven't been yet, it's hard to actually know conditions of the hotel and the rooms wthout seeing them. Just pure drama for nothing. 

it's hard to actually know conditions of the hotel and the rooms wthout seeing them. Just pure drama for nothing. 

Did you not bother to read the pictures I put in? 

image.png.c54b5cdfa8d027d524adb49cf1a2f351.png

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

Did you not bother to read the pictures I put in? 

image.png.c54b5cdfa8d027d524adb49cf1a2f351.png

I saw them. 

They're not special people, and everyone can run into service like that. It's China afterall, very few people live actually decently. 

Instead of them bitching about it on social media they could've spent that time moving to another hotel nearby. 

2 minutes ago, Yoola said:

It's so simple. If you don't like it just move. Why is everyone expecing them being treated like high profile people? 

High profile? That place would be illegal in my country, we have basic hotels but you don't get sick because of them. You're welcome to go fly there and drink that water or shower in it if you really want to.

4 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Every organizator ever makes mistakes, and especially if they're making a trip to somehwere they haven't been yet, it's hard to actually know conditions of the hotel and the rooms wthout seeing them. Just pure drama for nothing. 

They have a long time to organize these events and that doesn't excuse a basic check on hotel rating websites and a quick google of the place. Even so proper event coordinators arrange for someone local to go inspect the place before booking it, it's not hard to do that or expensive either.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

High profile? That place would be illegal in my country, we have basic hotels but you don't get sick because of them. You're welcome to go fly there and drink that water or shower in it if you really want to.

They have a long time to organize these events and that doesn't excuse a basic check on hotel rating websites and a quick google of the place. Even so proper event coordinators arrange for someone local to go inspect the place before booking it, it's not hard to do that or expensive either.

Once again, all that time they spent complaining about it on social media, they could've spent instead on moving to another hotel. It'd literally take them 30 minutes to do so, and I'm sure they'd be compensated for everything. 

2 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Once again, all that time they spent complaining about it on social media, they could've spent instead on moving to another hotel. It'd literally take them 30 minutes to do so, and I'm sure they'd be compensated for everything. 

Really, 30 minutes in a foreign country in a city they likely know nothing about and probably do not speak the language. And you don't think finding a hotel not full might not be that easy during a large event.

The last thing I want to have to do after flying to another country, getting off the plane, traveling to the hotel is to find it's a death trap and have to find somewhere else to go. It should be sorted out for me or left up to me in the first place. If I'm counting on someone else to do it then it should be done right, no excuses.

CSGO players getting paid obscene money to play an old ass game, I find it really funny, Woulda been better if they were LoL or DOTA but hey 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Really, 30 minutes in a foreign country in a city they likely know nothing about and probably do not speak the language. And you don't think finding a hotel not full might not be that easy during a large event.

There's 3 events going on at the same time, Odds on finding a hotel anywhere close to the venues? Literally ZERO

3 minutes ago, Yoola said:

It's literally China. Especially in Shanghai you could do that. You need to check your brain, mate. 

Yeah, so instead they'll just complain on social media. Excellent work!

What so they can't tweet while something else is being arranged for them?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

15 minutes ago, Yoola said:

but there's making a mistake in picking hotels.. and there's complete negligence..

if the price pool is 7 digits.. wouldnt it make sense they at least sent a scout to the hotel they booked for the players?

this smells an awful lot (pun intended) like they sorted by price, and didnt bother with anything more. this place looks like there's very few places on earth where it could even possibly be in business.

its like i invited you over for a holiday, and then made you sleep in the dog house in my back yard. you wouldnt be very happy if i told you "well then go find your own hotel spoilt brat" would you? 

You guys should know that in China there are 2 types of hotels: the ones approved for outsiders, and the ones for chinese citizens.

Apparently WSG's normal hotel somehow messed up or something, so they had to go for their backup hotel. I'll be one to vouch for the fact that looking for an outsider hotel in China ain't as easy as finding just any hotel.

Plus when it's coupled with the fact that hundreds of people are staying there, just accommodating the capacity alone in the timeframe would be a nightmare.

However, I still did not expect how bad these hotels are, considering they're for outsiders and I'd doubt the chinese government would like a piece of drama flaring up (like it is right now).

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What so they can't tweet while something else is being arranged for them?

Do they need to tweet like spoiled brats if another hotel is being arranged?

Though that place needs to be evacuated until fixed or bulldozed with those 2x4 joists holding the ceilings up LMAO.