Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

What I'm about to say isn't necessarily directed at you, specifically, but everyone here complaining about smaller turbocharged engines vs larger NA engines, in general. 

I love an awesome V8, don't get me wrong. But I actually prefer smaller turbo'd engines over larger NA engines and the main reason being; because technology. What you might not realize is that you can actually get a wider and more usable power band from a smaller turbo engine vs a larger NA engine. Turbochargers basically allow optimal volumetric efficiency across a much wider rpm range - which means the cylinders are being "filled" more effectively while in boost. More usable power = better, IMO. 

In my 1.8T Golf, I can accelerate up steep hills from 2000rpm in 5th by just riding the torque wave thanks to the boost from the turbo. This is also actually far less stressful on an engine compared to down-shifting and revving it higher. Higher rpm operation puts more stress/strain on internal components vs simply making more power via adding boost. Higher powered NA engines generally must rev higher to make said power (because it's necessary to achieve that higher volumetric efficiency).

Turbocharged engines can also be more efficient under cruising conditions. The compressor can actually help improve volumetric efficiency even while not producing any boost. The less "work" the engine has to do to breathe, the more efficient it will run (less wasted energy).

So, let's tally this up...

-More usable power (more torque, same or more horsepower).

-Less stress on components. 

-More efficient operation.

It's better in nearly every way. And let's not forget ease of power upgrade-ability. How do you get a significant power increase from an NA engine? You have to change the cams, raise compression, rev it even higher etc. or... add forced induction (hmmm. ;) ). How do you get a significant power increase from a factory turbocharged engine? Simply turn up the boost in many cases and or simply get it tuned/chipped. No other part changes or physical work is necessary. For my Golf, I could pay $650 for a GIAC stage 1 ECU re-flash at a local speed shop and drive away with 50+ extra HP and 50+ extra ft-lbs, without even having to pop the hood. To get 50 extra HP and TQ from a VR6, for example, you'd have to install a turbo or do some series engine work and tuning to get there.

TL;DR - Turbos > everything. Turbos 4 life! :D

There is a replacement for displacement, it's called a turbo. ;)

And yeah, V8's sound cool, but I actually like the way turbo's sound over V8's. V8 + turbo, well, that's just glorious music. :D

I like the part about making power across the rev-range. :ph34r:

Assetto Corsa > any NFS game, ever, indefinitely. ;)

I've been there a number of times but have only done laps in Assetto. ;)

-sniiiiiiiiiiip-

And yeah, V8's sound cool, but I actually like the way turbo's sound over V8's. V8 + turbo, well, that's just glorious music. :D

Too bad the AC port of Mosport is trash, and nobody's bothered recoding any other version :( Watkins Glen is a decent compromise, I guess.

Turbo 4-pots + electric hybrid AWD is where it's at, as shown in the success of DTM and Super GT. Buuuuuut when a platform loses it's V8, you do feel a bit of a void.

Good thing modern platforms are built strong enough to withstand minor bumps in boost and flashes, compared to a couple years ago when doing such simple things on stock parts would make big boom.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Buuuuuut when a platform loses it's V8, you do feel a bit of a void.

I wish we could have the Cobra Jet block back but I don't think environmentalists would take kindly to a 7L V8..

I wish we could have the Cobra Jet block back but I don't think environmentalists would take kindly to a 7L V8..

Unfortunately with the way fossil fuels are going, even the advent of hybrid tech can't stop engine displacement from shrinking.

In the meantime, enjoy this flamethrower of a Fiat that is a 7.1L naturally aspirated 4-cylinder.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

how about that useless Chevy 8.1L V8 they put in the suburban a long time ago? xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Unfortunately with the way fossil fuels are going, even the advent of hybrid tech can't stop engine displacement from shrinking.

I seriously hope some scientists figure out a way to cheaply and quickly create an extremely energy dense liquid that we can use in replacement of fossil fuels because I like my large V8s.

I seriously hope some scientists figure out a way to cheaply and quickly create an extremely energy dense liquid that we can use in replacement of fossil fuels because I like my large V8s.

Audi's already found a synthetic solution, but it's nowhere near consumer ready. It's technically e-diesel, but the formula can be adjusted to work with combustion engines as well since the base components are water and carbon dioxide.

1268046863867175271.gif

FYI their experimental e-ethanol mix is rated at RON 100. It's basically race gas, and it makes flames!!

1221850180865315501.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

Turbo 4-pots + electric hybrid AWD is where it's at, as shown in the success of DTM and Super GT. Buuuuuut when a platform loses it's V8, you do feel a bit of a void.

Good thing modern platforms are built strong enough to withstand minor bumps in boost and flashes, compared to a couple years ago when doing such simple things on stock parts would make big boom.

I know it's an odd thing to consider a Mustang or any type of muscle car with anything other than a V8, like it's always been. The thing is, that's just clinging to the "old ways". It used to be, back in the day, that you NEEDED a big V8 to make that kind of power. With turbocharging and modern technology, it's simply not necessary anymore. A 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder can easily make in excess of 300+ horsepower AND torque (and a very wide torque band at that) and do so very reliably, all day, every day. Also, when you realize the sound you're actually hearing is essentially a jet-turbine engine strapped to the block which uses the piston engine as it's combustor, that just makes it all the more fascinating and awesome, (to me anyways). ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Audi's already found a synthetic solution, but it's nowhere near consumer ready. It's technically e-diesel, but the formula can be adjusted to work with combustion engines as well since the base components are water and carbon dioxide.

FYI their experimental e-ethanol mix is rated at RON 100. It's basically race gas, and it makes flames!!

Y u gotta kill the page with a gif? D: :P

I just want it to be ready for mass production before large engines get killed off.

I wonder if it sounds like a diesel..

F-150 Limited has a square exhaust tip. I guess that's interesting?

limited-exhaust.jpg

I know it's an odd thing to consider a Mustang or any type of muscle car with anything other than a V8, like it's always been. The thing is, that's just clinging to the "old ways". It used to be, back in the day, that you NEEDED a big V8 to make that kind of power. With turbocharging and modern technology, it's simply not necessary anymore. A 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder can easily make in excess of 300+ horsepower AND torque (and a very wide torque band at that) and do so very reliably, all day, every day. Also, when you realize the sound you're actually hearing is essentially a jet-turbine engine strapped to the block which uses the piston engine as it's combustor, that just makes it all the more fascinating and awesome, (to me anyways). ;)

That last part about the jet-turbines made me remember reading through the Lockheed Skunkworks books, and how the original J58 engines in the SR-71 Blackbird (and U2) needed two Buick V8s just to start it :)

1280px-AG330_start_cart.JPG

But yeah as a huuuuuge fan of the EJ boxer platform, I can appreciate the compact yet powerful gains from a turbo-4. Even if you're not a Subaru fan, you have to appreciate the engineering that Misubishi put into the Evo engines considering people can easily push 900+ hp out of those things. It's a shame people aren't giving the Ecoboost mustangs a chance, because they're genuinely good value for money and are a legitimate BRZ/GT-86 alternative, especially when the aftermarket matures a bit.

Folding@Home | BOINC

That last part about the jet-turbines made me remember reading through the Lockheed Skunkworks books, and how the original J58 engines in the SR-71 Blackbird (and U2) needed two Buick V8s just to start it :)

1280px-AG330_start_cart.JPG

But yeah as a huuuuuge fan of the EJ boxer platform, I can appreciate the compact yet powerful gains from a turbo-4. Even if you're not a Subaru fan, you have to appreciate the engineering that Misubishi put into the Evo engines considering people can easily push 900+ hp out of those things. It's a shame people aren't giving the Ecoboost mustangs a chance, because they're genuinely good value for money and are a legitimate BRZ/GT-86 alternative, especially when the aftermarket matures a bit.

It's the reputation of "v6 mustang is weaaaaak. You probably couldn't afford the 5.0" haha

System: Thinkpad T460

It's a shame people aren't giving the Ecoboost mustangs a chance, because they're genuinely good value for money and are a legitimate BRZ/GT-86 alternative, especially when the aftermarket matures a bit.

I want to go test drive one actually. I'm used to less than refined Mustangs so it should be pretty damn enjoyable. :D What's even better is the engine makes a lot more HP than the base V6 especially once you tune it and do basic mods.

It's the reputation of "v6 mustang is weaaaaak. You probably couldn't afford the 5.0" haha

That and sound, people usually think of a burly grumble when you see a Mustang.

-snip-

Lol, two Buick V8's. HAHA! :D Yeah, the SR71 engines are insane, how they work. They have several different "modes" of operation, depending on speed, altitude etc. 

For sure, I'd rock an ecoboost 'Stang. Upgrade the suspension, brakes, rims & tires and turn up the boost. Would run circles around V8 GT's on the track. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Then I roll into the boost with the "weak V6" and pull on the 5.0... :D

I know what you mean though. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Then I roll into the boost with the "weak V6" and pull on the 5.0... :D

I know what you mean though. ;)

Until someone with a boosted 5.0 shows up. :P

I want to go test drive one actually. I'm used to less than refined Mustangs so it should be pretty damn enjoyable. :D What's even better is the engine makes a lot more HP than the base V6 especially once you tune it and do basic mods.

The interior quality is soooooo nice, plus you can get it with a stick! Yes you do miss the sound, but it's a car you can actually daily and get decent practicality with it. Plus theres the awesome sixth gen styling, and you don't really lose that much by not getting the V8. 

Lol, two Buick V8's. HAHA! :D Yeah, the SR71 engines are insane, how they work. They have several different "modes" of operation, depending on speed, altitude etc. 

For sure, I'd rock an ecoboost 'Stang. Upgrade the suspension, brakes, rims & tires and turn up the boost. Would run circles around V8 GT's on the track. ;)

Funny you should mention that, because that's pretty much the current state of the Speedhunters Project Mustang.

http://www.speedhunters.com/tag/project-ecoboost/

IMG_5490-copy.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

The interior quality is soooooo nice, plus you can get it with a stick! Yes you do miss the sound, but it's a car you can actually daily and get decent practicality with it. Plus theres the awesome sixth gen styling, and you don't really lose that much by not getting the V8. 

I've only sat in one once and oh boy was it nice. There's always that voice in the back of my head saying "get a 16, not the project mustang" because they're so much more refined and controlled. But oooh, working on my own car is nice too.

Assetto Corsa > any NFS game, ever, indefinitely. ;)

I've been there a number of times but have only done laps in Assetto. ;)

What I'm about to say isn't necessarily directed at you, specifically, but everyone here complaining about smaller turbocharged engines vs larger NA engines, in general. 

I love an awesome V8, don't get me wrong. But I actually prefer smaller turbo'd engines over larger NA engines and the main reason being; because technology. What you might not realize is that you can actually get a wider and more usable power band from a smaller turbo engine vs a larger NA engine. Turbochargers basically allow optimal volumetric efficiency across a much wider rpm range - which means the cylinders are being "filled" more effectively at all times while in boost, where as NA engines are only being "filled" most effectively around the rpm where peak torque is produced. More usable power = better than higher peak power. 

In my 1.8T Golf, I can accelerate up steep hills from 2000rpm in 5th by just riding the torque wave thanks to the boost from the turbo. This is also actually far less stressful on an engine compared to down-shifting and revving it higher. Higher rpm operation puts more stress/strain on internal components vs simply making more power via adding boost. Higher powered NA engines generally must rev higher to make said power (because it's necessary to achieve that higher volumetric efficiency).

Turbocharged engines can also be more efficient under cruising conditions. The compressor can actually help improve volumetric efficiency even while not producing any boost. The less "work" the engine has to do to breathe, the more efficient it will run (less wasted energy).

So, let's tally this up...

-More usable power (more torque, same or more horsepower).

-Less stress on components. 

-More efficient operation.

It's better in nearly every way. And let's not forget ease of power upgrade-ability. How do you get a significant power increase from an NA engine? You have to change the cams, raise compression, rev it even higher etc. or... add forced induction (hmmm. ;) ). How do you get a significant power increase from a factory turbocharged engine? Simply turn up the boost in many cases and or simply get it tuned/chipped. No other part changes or physical work is necessary. For my Golf, I could pay $650 for a GIAC stage 1 ECU re-flash at a local speed shop and drive away with 50+ extra HP and 50+ extra ft-lbs, without even having to pop the hood. To get 50 extra HP and TQ from a VR6, for example, you'd have to install a turbo or do some series engine work and tuning to get there.

You seem to have missed the point a bit. These cars do not sell because they are the most advanced things on the planet, but because the market base like the memory of the 70's muscle cars, and a big (arguably the biggest) part of that is the big displacement V8s. So if one of the manufacturers is no longer using V8's while the others are; it will not bode well for them. 

For the record I see both NA, and forced induction applications as having their place. A lot of what you are saying is true, and some of it is half truths. Yes a turbo does increase volumetric efficiency considerably, and yes you can create a flat and usable torque curve. But comparing forced induction and naturally aspirated engines is more complex, than what you have stated. Most modern forced induction engines use a lower compression ration compared to their NA counterparts, therefore are actually less efficient (thermodynamically) when not under boost; like stop and go traffic for example. Once the engine is on boost (highway cruising) it is (generally) more efficient.

About the only way to really compare the two would be to take a standard engine design say 5L V8, and scale it to 2.5L V8 with forced induction set up to match CFM with the larger sibling. This never really happens though so you are caught drawing conclusions based on an experiment with many variables, comparing an Evo and a Mustang GT is a difficult task. 

EDIT: I am not trying to pick on you, I just hate "Always Statements" :P I re-read this and it sounds like I am hating on turbos; trust me, I am not. I am a turbo fan as well. I have built a few turbo charged engines for FSAE cars in college. I am even currently shopping for a new turbocharged daily driver. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

About the only way to really compare the two would be to take a standard engine design say 5L V8, and scale it to 2.5L V8 with forced induction set up to match CFM with the larger sibling. This never really happens though so you are caught drawing conclusions based on an experiment with many variables, comparing an Evo and a Mustang GT is a difficult task. 

I want a 2.5L V8.. that'd be awesome.

I want a 2.5L V8.. that'd be awesome.

Synergy V8 - two Kawasaki ZX12R heads welded together to give a displacement of 2.4L, redline at 11K. Price was $80K USD, shipped fron New Zealand (I think).

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/01/kiwi-flavoured-lemon-jun-synergy-brz-v8/

Folding@Home | BOINC

Synergy V8 - two Kawasaki ZX12R heads welded together to give a displacement of 2.4L, redline at 11K. Price was $80K USD, shipped fron New Zealand (I think).

patrickstar.jpg

patrickstar.jpg

It's the price you pay for a hand built, 500hp V8 I guess. There's only two ZN6s I know with this installed so far - the Jun demo car in Japan, and the Synergy R&D car in NZ. Of course, a single 4-cylinder bike platform costs about 10% of this for ~half the power, so there's that.

Folding@Home | BOINC