Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You can either find a KN cone filter that has the right size fitting on it to clamp it right to the MAF or you can find an adapter to mount the cone to that, If it were me, I'd mount the cone to something solid so its not flopping around.

Just now, MEC-777 said:

And watch where you're going. ;) 

Yep. :) 

If it's not too much to ask for, when I find out the size of the piping, could you guys suggest a cone to go with and what size coupler I'll need? My issue is I can't have a huge cone because as you can see it's fairly close to the edge of my car and my blinker

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Ok, F1 needs to ditch the V6's and go back to 8/10/12 cylinders. If they want to keep the turbos, that's fine with me, but the V6's just sound so bland.

Other current open wheel series right now sound WAAAAAY better (partly because they're using de-tuned older F1 engines). ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Should be able to find a short and stubby one from KN that will slip onto the maf. The MAF is bolted to a bracket right>

The piping just kinda slides over the ends of the MAF at both ends

20161112_115620.thumb.jpg.5c3c62aae65355f19d20589030ea310b.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

Ok, F1 needs to ditch the V6's and go back to 8/10/12 cylinders. If they want to keep the turbos, that's fine with me, but the V6's just sound so bland.

Other current open wheel series right now sound WAAAAAY better (partly because they're using de-tuned older F1 engines). ;)

Only issue is, you know they're not going to do it because of the sunk costs involved in the current engine formula. Like it or not, they're keeping it until 2020+. Especially now when Renault are bringing out an entirely new engine for 2017, and Honda are reaching parity with the 2016 motors - would you really want all that money to go to waste? 

A lot of the mainstream open wheelers are set to change regs in a few years time as well, at least those within the FIA's control. GP2, F3, F4 - those can only last so long before they fall in line.

Meanwhile, IndyCar is struggling to keep it's field alive with a lot more empty holes on the grid than there should be with a "spec" chassis. 

Trust that a lot more of the up-and-coming talent is moving away from open wheelers where there are few seats, and looking to get into GT / prototypes.

BTW the 2017 LMP2s as Im sure you know are going to be using both V8s and V6s. At least in North America, we have one team confirmed to be using the European-spec Gibson (nissan) V8, HPD is rolling out a new V6, and the Cadillac-DPis are using a bespoke NA V8 with exhausts that exit the top of the car like a 918!! Exciting changes compared to the Ilmor-Chevrolet DPs that had side pipes.

Hell, the 2017 EU-spec LMP2s dont sound too shabby either. The Ligier JSP217 (JS P2  2017 spec) is incredibly high strung.

Also compared to their JSP3 (LMP3) car which uses a detuned V8. The FlexBox liveried car is US-Bound for CORE Autosport, who have decided to move into LMP3 from IMSA Prototype Challenge.

On the plus side - KMAG TO HAAS FOR 2017!! He's the first driver to have officially driven for all four current engine manufacturers - Mercedes (2014), Honda (2015), Renault (2016), Ferrari (2017).

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Also @MEC-777 and anyone else interested in diecasts, I highly recommend you keep an eye out at your local big box stores.

@Maybach123 @bcredeur97

DSC07869.jpgDSC07888.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

That thing might use exactly the same MAF as the S10 :P 

I dunno what to tell ya man. Might just have to figure it out. I did find this but its 140 bucks.

b25403d4a6049be220576b74c4f76ee6.png

Saab was owned by GM at around 2000 IIRC so it's possible. But that's for a 2.0T not a 2.3T so I'm assuming that's a 9-3 intake not a 9-5

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

rip.

Things always have to be that little bit extra difficult when working on cars, I guess that's especially true when it comes to euros

On a completly different note I've had a meme I want to make for this thread that I've been planning on for about three weeks now but I have to wait until the next oil change. :/ 

Oh man. But as my setup is, you think once I find out piping size we would still be able to throw a coupler on it and be good?

It depends on how the rest of that tube is set up. If its supported well enough, then yeah it will be fine.

It's supported well, but the stock intake snakes through the bumper to the front grill, so I'll have to remove all of that as well

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Hm. You just got to make sure its supported and not rubbing on the pleats, because if it rubs through, its not going to be filtering anything.

But I should be able to just throw a coupler on and call it a day? Shouldn't cause any issues with the way it slides over the MAF?

Yup. Should fit fine.

Awesome, just waiting on /r/saab to get back to me on piping size

Little bit on the pricy side, but I found this

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=311

Which is what is used in this video

And there's instructions on how to do it. I think I'll spring for it and just order my cabin air filter online or something

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20070520.Saab_9-5_High_Flow_Intake/

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

probably more fun for you than us americans since you can most likely understand what they're saying xD 

is it just me or does one side of your engine look higher than the other?

I dont understand any of it either, all i know is pushing "N" and "P" after drinking a case of beer makes you curse and piss at the same time.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Picked up a new mattress today and when i walked out to the car a guy saw me carrying it out. (Rolled up 200x140x5cm) 

He looked at my camaro. (With the rear parcel tray down so it looks like it doesn't have any storage space at all)

And when i unlocked the trunk he said "That won't fit in there" Smugly and out of the blue xD 

I opened the trunk and flipped the tray up. Revealing three shopping bags and i placed the mattress on top.

Loved how his smug look disappeared and he walked off without saying a word 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Do et

Will do after I get a little bit more Christmas shopping done. I'll add it to my list and if I don't get it for the holidays I'll use Christmas cash for it :D

12 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Yep. Straight piped turbo engines = :x

Because turbo. It actually muffles it quite a bit. Lots of turbo'd cars can be run straight piped and not be overly loud. ;)

Have an open cone filter and *almost* straight piped exhaust on the Golf. It sounds wonderful. :D  

You have videos of the Golf's exhaust right?

39 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

I dont understand any of it either, all i know is pushing "N" and "P" after drinking a case of beer makes you curse and piss at the same time.

i thought all the speech was in norwegian or some shit? but i mean they've got subtitles, so it's all good. quite surprising how popular the game has been among american/canadian youtubers. speirstheamazinghd, draegast, whybeare, even theslaptrain is in on the game.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@MEC-777 yeah can you link the Golfs exhaust when you get a sec?

Isnt that his own DIY thing?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

21 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i thought all the speech was in norwegian or some shit? but i mean they've got subtitles, so it's all good. quite surprising how popular the game has been among american/canadian youtubers. speirstheamazinghd, draegast, whybeare, even theslaptrain is in on the game.

Its finnish. finns are crazy, we arent.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Fernando Alonso 

Professional formula one driver. 

o34NaSX.gif

Amateur camera operator 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

wbZZcXi.png

35 minutes ago, techswede said:

Fernando Alonso 

Professional formula one driver. 

o34NaSX.gif

Amateur camera operator 

Fernando Alonso: Professional F1 pilot, potential 5x World Driver Champion, Saint of GP2 engines.

IMG_20161002_095430.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

46 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Remember that V12 LS1 that was posted here a good while ago?

Well its running and on the dyno now!

Is this the same engine?

Camaro-02.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

@chaozbandit yes it is! I did some more googling and that car is running one of their early engines in it. :)  This was on their website and their bookface.

9acb66efc22cbc44448dfaea62186693.png

Wonder what the weight distribution would be like with one of those blocks. You'd need some serious firewall modification to run it I imagine.

Faceballs is best kind of bookface.

Folding@Home | BOINC