Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Those things are pretty comfortable too. I had a friend whose parents had one, they're damn good to sit in.

yeah, i have a friend with one. It has a crap ton of torque for a v6 too. The safari is also rear wheel drive so they do some pretty great burnouts too :D 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Saving for a 1991-1995 plymouth voyager. I loved the 6G72 platform on those and I've never seen them fail. The only things that fail are the transmissions, because they're designed to at 100k or just over 100k. But rebuilds are super common, and I'm looking for the 3.0L platform. In my area, I only saw one 6G72-based model that needed a new head gasket all the rest are the clunk 3.3/3.8s that absorb gas and barely put out enough power to justify calling it an engine. 

Are those the same SOHC V6s that came in the base model 3Kgt/Stealths?

I suppose that this isn't really the right place to ask this, but has anyone know if it is possible to put an M3 engine in a 330i e46? Iw as thinking of undergoing this venture this fall after I earn some cash over the summer. I looked around and didn't really seen anyone actually succeeding in a timely manner. Most projects I found have started in like 2009 and are not yet finished... doesn't really inspire any confidence. I think will be able to spare around 5000e if someone is asking. I hope that would cover the engine, transmission, dif and ECUs, hopefully if I manage to get a decent donor car.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

My family used to have one of those. We had nothing but problems with it. Sure, the engine wont break, but everything else on the car will like the transmission, shocks, bearings, and many other things. Voyagers are a money pit and i would stay FAR away from them. If i where to pick a 90's van, it would be the gmc safari. It has a huge v6 that loves boost. Throw a vortech supercharger on the 4.3 liter v6 and you will be making a decent bit of horsepower.

We had an astro, threw a rod at 190k after owning it for 5k. 

Was a horrible car, we had a terrible experience with it. But I will admit, the speakers in it were nice.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I suppose that this isn't really the right place to ask this, but has anyone know if it is possible to put an M3 engine in a 330i e46? Iw as thinking of undergoing this venture this fall after I earn some cash over the summer. I looked around and didn't really seen anyone actually succeeding in a timely manner. Most projects I found have started in like 2009 and are not yet finished... doesn't really inspire any confidence. I think will be able to spare around 5000e if someone is asking. I hope that would cover the engine, transmission, dif and ECUs, hopefully if I manage to get a decent donor car.  

i know it is possible for the coupe to to an entire drivetrain swap. It should be possible to a degree on the sedan too. I'm assuming you are looking at the s54 right?. Personally, on a 330, i would just turbo or supercharge it as you will get better performance for less money and less work that way. You cant do much with an s54 to get more power that isn't insanely expensive.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Are those the same SOHC V6s that came in the base model 3Kgt/Stealths?

Yes, they are. ~160hp stock

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

We had an astro, threw a rod at 190k after owning it for 5k. 

Was a horrible car, we had a terrible experience with it. But I will admit, the speakers in it were nice.

must have been abused pretty hard then. The 4.3 is basically a 350 that is missing two cylinders and 350's never break.

must have been abused pretty hard then. The 4.3 is basically a 350 that is missing two cylinders and 350's never break.

Ours was owned pretty well, to be honest. But we weren't the only ones who had this issue. Our neighbor a few doors down owned one of these, and his threw a rod a few weeks after ours at ~145k. 

His was the Safari variant, however. But I fucking LOVED these things in winter. They were tanks! 

Until the rod was thrown...

Yes, they are. ~160hp stock

Sweet, that's got to be pushin' 180-200ft/lbs or so?

My high school friend/long time roommate's first car was (is) a green '92 3kgt vr4, he still has it! That thing is really difficult to work on. His clutch slave cylinder went out in his work parking lot a few years ago. We topped off the dot3 reservoir, limped it home, and I changed in for him once we got the right part. That was not very pleasant :lol:.

^^^I just mention this because I hope the naturally aspirated engine is easier to tinker on without all the turbo plumbing in the way, but I also know van's engine compartments can get pretty tight! The horizontal engine mounting doesn't help either...that rear cylinder bank and the much of the area around the top of the transmission is fairly inaccessible without digging deep!

What, if I may ask, is your reasoning for seeking out this particular van? I'm rocking a '96 Odyssey with the 2.4l, horrible power but it is as simple and easy to work on as they come. It even has a drain plug for the A/T (I have never seen that before and it sure as hell beats having to re-gasket the pan if you need to flush it)! I would have never gone out and bought a minivan, but it was a freebie from a family member and will last a lot longer with me than if it had been donated or sold for 900$ :)

Ours was owned pretty well, to be honest. But we weren't the only ones who had this issue. Our neighbor a few doors down owned one of these, and his threw a rod a few weeks after ours at ~145k. 

His was the Safari variant, however. But I fucking LOVED these things in winter. They were tanks! 

Until the rod was thrown...

Those old Chrysler's aren't exactly known for reliability either...

System: Thinkpad T460

Those old Chrysler's aren't exactly known for reliability either...

My family had one last 160k before someone rear ended it going 50mph, injuring my dad's neck and side permanently. 

We added mods to it as well. 

But the thing still ran and the engine was sold. 

It's a mitsubishi 6G7 engine from the 3000GT. Not the clunker 3.3/3.8 that not only threw rods but constantly HATED winters.

Sweet, that's got to be pushin' 180-200ft/lbs or so?

My high school friend/long time roommate's first car was (is) a green '92 3kgt vr4, he still has it! That thing is really difficult to work on. His clutch slave cylinder went out in his work parking lot a few years ago. We topped off the dot3 reservoir, limped it home, and I changed in for him once we got the right part. That was not very pleasant :lol:.

^^^I just mention this because I hope the naturally aspirated engine is easier to tinker on without all the turbo plumbing in the way, but I also know van's engine compartments can get pretty tight! The horizontal engine mounting doesn't help either...that rear cylinder bank and the much of the area around the top of the transmission is fairly inaccessible without digging deep!

What, if I may ask, is your reasoning for seeking out this particular van? I'm rocking a '96 Odyssey with the 2.4l, horrible power but it is as simple and easy to work on as they come. It even has a drain plug for the A/T (I have never seen that before and it sure as hell beats having to re-gasket the pan if you need to flush it)! I would have never gone out and bought a minivan, but it was a freebie from a family member and will last a lot longer with me than if it had been donated or sold for 900$ :)

Because of my pretty much emotional attachment to them. 

Also, cheap to insure, cheap price, lots of space, and a bit of a sleeper when put into the right hands.

Also, cheap to insure, cheap price, lots of space, and a bit of a sleeper when put into the right hands.

I'd honestly drive a first gen Mazda MPV if I were you. 3.0L V6 200 HP, AWD, which is kinda unheard of for a minivan, Also got manual tranny, as well as REAR WHEEL DRIVE.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'd honestly drive a first gen Mazda MPV if I were you. 3.0L V6 200 HP, AWD, which is kinda unheard of for a minivan, Also got manual tranny, as well as REAR WHEEL DRIVE.

I'd get a Previa. 

At least they were unique. 

I hear you on the emotional attachment part, as well as insurance.

My parent's car as I was growing up was a '91 Colt Vista. It got rear ended with my mom driving my brother home from something. They were physically okay, just bumps and bruises, car was completely totaled. I loved that thing, probably just because I've always liked cars and that was our family car, but I thought it was great none the less. Come to find out years after falling in love with and owning turbo DSMs, that my beloved Colt Vista was equipped with the same engine I had coincidentally become so fond of :o.  Ours was definitely the 2.0l and I'm pretty sure the 4g63 was the only 2.0l offered on that platform as far as I can tell. Under the right circumstances, I'd pick up an old Vista in a heartbeat!

Hell yeah on the cheap insurance. That '96 Odyssey of mine is no shit the newest car I have ever owned (out of 7), and insurance definitely has something to do with it (yearly registration costs are also affected).

I'd get a Previa. 

How so?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

How so?

The shape/design, drivetrain, even engine some with superchargers and so on.

I'd get a Previa. 

Just don't hit anything head-on. 

http://youtu.be/zaeloWsRe_s?t=6m34s

My parent's car as I was growing up was a '91 Colt Vista. It got rear ended with my mom driving my brother home from something. They were physically okay, just bumps and bruises, car was completely totaled. I loved that thing, probably just because I've always liked cars and that was our family car, but I thought it was great none the less. Come to find out years after falling in love with and owning turbo DSMs, that my beloved Colt Vista was equipped with the same engine I had coincidentally become so fond of :o.  Ours was definitely the 2.0l and I'm pretty sure the 4g63 was the only 2.0l offered on that platform as far as I can tell. Under the right circumstances, I'd pick up an old Vista in a heartbeat!

Hell yeah on the cheap insurance. That '96 Odyssey of mine is no shit the newest car I have ever owned (out of 7), and insurance definitely has something to do with it (yearly registration costs are also affected).

I also want it just to get around, it'd be a good first car IMHO. That's all it will really be. And a minivan isn't bad for a first car.

The shape/design, drivetrain, even engine some with superchargers and so on.

But the MPV decided it was gonna stray from the traditional sliding doors of a minivan and went full on normal car. Besides, i'm pretty sure it was safer than the Previa.

Just don't hit anything head-on. 

http://youtu.be/zaeloWsRe_s?t=6m34s

I would never wanna drive that car, now that I"ve seen that.

But the MPV decided it was gonna stray from the traditional sliding doors of a minivan and went full on normal car. Besides, i'm pretty sure it was safer than the Previa.

MPVs are impossible to find here. The reason is they don't fare well in winter. Even the AWD versions. Only Mitsubishi/Honda/Toyota engines seem to start up here. We'd have a fucking dreadful time with the Astro where it just wouldn't fire in the mornings. Even with a block heater. 

In it's defense, it was -45F outside.

You might like this one! 

I'd recommend an old Volvo station wagon.

:P

If done right, I actually think that CVTs sound great, but normally they weird me out because I'm waiting for the shift.