Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

27 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Hate on manufacturers for not providing an option to get the appropriate number of pedals all you want!  There's nothing wrong with it.

If i want six pedals i should be able to get six pedals!.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

5 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

for the driving school i went to here (Latvia) there was only 1 option for automatic ... around 20 for manual  and i have heard simmilar stories about few more drivign schools around here 

i agree ... drive what you want or what you like or need ... and dont hate on other people .... and most importantly dont force the other gearbox if they dont want it  ...

lucky. i think europe's got the right idea in terms of driving schools. offering more manual cars than automatic cars. i wish i can say the same for america.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, techswede said:

If i want six pedals i should be able to get six pedals!.. 

I mean, those are a thing.

Driver's ed.

10 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I mean, those are a thing.

Driver's ed.

I was thinking more in terms on them being on one side.

Three for the conventional control. One for the headlights high beam. And two that are just accordions or something

And they are placed randomly in each car. 

Then we just sit back and enjoy the madness

Or better yet. Just two pedals. But its drive by wire and hooked up to all the cars systems via a randomizing computer.

Someone floors it and suddenly it switches from throttle to stereo volume control. *Boom!* Blown out speakers.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

11 minutes ago, techswede said:

Three for the conventional control. One for the headlights high beam. And two that are just accordions or something

Or better yet. Just two pedals. But its drive by wire and hooked up to all the cars systems via a randomizing computer.

Someone floors it and suddenly it switches from throttle to stereo volume control. *Boom!* Blown out speakers.

:P

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

12 minutes ago, techswede said:

parking brake and the release for it? :P 

20 minutes ago, terrytek said:

lucky. i think europe's got the right idea in terms of driving schools. offering more manual cars than automatic cars. i wish i can say the same for america.

at least in Latvia (as far as i know) ... if you do your driving test with a automatic .... you cant legally drive a manual with that license xD 

but you can drive auto if you did the test with manual ofc ... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

@warmmilk saw your vids at the track. Looked fun! Just kind of glanced over it since I'm on my phone but I'll look more later.

i drove about 200 miles today. Coolant still looks perfect, nothing under the oil cap. Oil looks fine on dipstick. No smoke (lol) All is well! 

Should be good for tomorrow. Matt is coming by in his new truck (RIP mustang) around 7am and we'll load it with the tires and equipment and head out there. We'll both be driving/co driving 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

That squeak I'm hearing when I shift fast near redline, I think it's the serpentine/accessory belt(s) slipping a bit. Any ideas? Im scared to tighten them too much, they seem pretty tight to me as is and they are new. 

the miata doesn't have an automatic tensioner like I'm accustomed to. So I think that may have something to do with it. Either that or I need stickier belts xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

25 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Plis get pics. I wanna see the new whip. :P 

I WILL. Not going to say I will try. I WILL! xD

Spoiler

Lol quote from miata forum:

" With the OEM specs on tightening the belts, they are near what would be considered overtight onmost cars iv'e worked on in the last 50+ yrs. That said, Tightening them to what an old chevy guy would consider scary is just about right. "

Guess I don't have them tight enough then... lol

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

That squeak I'm hearing when I shift fast near redline, I think it's the serpentine/accessory belt(s) slipping a bit. Any ideas? Im scared to tighten them too much, they seem pretty tight to me as is and they are new. 

the miata doesn't have an automatic tensioner like I'm accustomed to. So I think that may have something to do with it. Either that or I need stickier belts xD

maybe its belt alignment?  my BMW has the automatch tensioner, but I needed to replace it cause it bends overtime and the belts goes a little out of alignment... so maybe its the same deal on your car?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

@warmmilk that Hyundai totally reminded me of my corolla lol. Man that ferrari must have been quick, I completely believe you. 

Also just noticed that I think your car is the same color as mine... (titanium grey?)
9B62FA0A-6191-4527-AD5E-61A93E638A48_zps

My_Miata.jpeg

also likewise, my car is fast until 4th gear. In 4th gear and beyond it takes much longer to speed up, I also notice that it doesn't really make any more power beyond 6000 rpm, it just kinda drops off. 

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

maybe its belt alignment?  my BMW has the automatch tensioner, but I needed to replace it cause it bends overtime and the belts goes a little out of alignment... so maybe its the same deal on your car?

I don't think it is because when I first left the shop the belts were squealing like crazy and I had to tighten them some more when I got home. that fixed that, now they just squeak/chirp when shifting near redline. I didn't read how much to tighten them and just judged what they were from other cars I've worked on. But apparently they need to be insanely tight on my car. (I don't have one of those fancy gauges either)

Spoiler

@vinyldash303 today when I was on the highway I saw some traffic up ahead. I don't know why I decided to do this as I normally coast down in gear. But I had the cruise control on and simply pushed the gear lever out of 6th and into neutral. then I was like "what is that engine noise?" (not kidding wind noise in a stock miata is bad enough that you can barely hear the engine). I looked behind me and thought someone was gonna come flying past(thought I was blind when I saw no one ROFL).... Then it bounced off the rev limiter and I knew instantly what it was. LOL

The cruise control apparently doesn't know what to do if the car is suddenly pushed out of gear with no pedal input lol

So yeah that was my biggest dumb moment of the day xD 

Also the miata needs a cruise control "cancel" button. The only way to do that is to tap the brakes or turn it off completely using the cruise on/off main button on the opposite side of the steering wheel than what the cruise control controls are on. Kinda bad placement lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

@Maybach123 I gotta photoshop request.

Can you make the running lights on these all flashy like these?

4347a53bc93b5d60db1f517620c9aa93.png

ill give it a shot 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Who the FUCK pulls out in to traffic that's going 60 and slows down to 20 because they have a turn coming up A QUARTER MILE DOWN THE ROAD.

Nearly had a dozen cars pile up because of that shit. Again.

The same kind of idiots that pull out of a business and onto a road by passing the driving lane, getting in the turn lane and then turning right to go into the drive of the business next to the one they just left.  The lady crashed into my dad who was driving in the straight lane by turning right from the left turn lane doing a horseshoe shape from one drive to the next with the curve of the shoe being in the left turn lane.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

3 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

The same kind of idiots that pull out of a business and onto a road by passing the driving lane, getting in the turn lane and then turning right to go into the drive of the business next to the one they just left.  The lady crashed into my dad who was driving in the straight lane by turning right from the left turn lane doing a horseshoe shape from one drive to the next with the curve of the shoe being in the left turn lane.

I fucking hate them beyond belief. Dumbest god damn city in this country. Not only that, but right beforehand when I was in Target a family wanted to pay for their $500 bill in all $20 gift cards. That they didn't check beforehand if there was money on them, and didn't even bother to take out of their plastic cards.

45 minutes in line.

Why.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

I nearly got in an accident one day when I was in my corolla from someone who turned right from the left lane of travel. Not because I couldn't stop fast enough, but because a truck behind me panicked and skidded and ended up stopped at an angle only a few feet from my car. person who was turning right had stopped in the middle of the lane that I was in out of panic from me honking I guess. Of course they were still sticking out so the people in the left lane had to stop quickly too.

That would of been a great day to have a dashcam lol. It was complete chaos from that one little event. 

Too bad im not a cop. I would of gave that person a ticket for every little stupid thing in the world that you can get a ticket for.

Spoiler

@vinyldash303 heres a rough photoshop of what it might look like. This was the only s10 i could find a good picture of with those  lights. 

s10.jpg

15 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

borken image :/

? im a bit confused. 

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk that Hyundai totally reminded me of my corolla lol. Man that ferrari must have been quick, I completely believe you. 

Also just noticed that I think your car is the same color as mine... (titanium grey?)
9B62FA0A-6191-4527-AD5E-61A93E638A48_zps

My_Miata.jpeg

also likewise, my car is fast until 4th gear. In 4th gear and beyond it takes much longer to speed up, I also notice that it doesn't really make any more power beyond 6000 rpm, it just kinda drops off. 

haha, yeah, they look the same.  but yours is in much better condition!  I wonder if mine will be shiny if I wash it?

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I don't think it is because when I first left the shop the belts were squealing like crazy and I had to tighten them some more when I got home. that fixed that, now they just squeak/chirp when shifting near redline. I didn't read how much to tighten them and just judged what they were from other cars I've worked on. But apparently they need to be insanely tight on my car. (I don't have one of those fancy gauges either)

see if you can rent that tool at an autoparts store

the other thing I thought of the other day it could be is your clutch master cylinder, possible it squeaks a bit when depressed?  it did/does on my RSX...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

5 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

haha, yeah, they look the same.  but yours is in much better condition!  I wonder if mine will be shiny if I wash it?

see if you can rent that tool at an autoparts store

the other thing I thought of the other day it could be is your clutch master cylinder, possible it squeaks a bit when depressed?  it did/does on my RSX...

try some claybar and wax. takes a little while but should look almost good as new. Mine is dirty right now so it doesn't look much better than yours. So don't expect to be impressed tommorow seeing my dirty miata on the same steelies the corolla was on lol

It's not that. It happens right before I press the clutch in. Sometimes a little earlier than others. It's just at the top of the rpm range the belts start to lose grip for some reason lol. I fooled with it today and held it near redline for a bit and the chirp turned to a squeal.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@Maybach123 it don't show up

9bb755d6cdcb49f030bb9f2ceb30f962.png

ohh ok see if this works

bei3G7a.jpg

I hate having a black car. every single scratch, swirl mark, scuff, and water spot shows. I've been washing my car about twice a week since I got it, and I can't keep it looking decent. >:(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5