I7 8700 turbo boost

I’m planning on buying a prebuilt pc with the i7 8700 and gtx 1070. But, i heard that theres something wrong with the i7 8700’s turbo boost. Is that true or were people not telling the truth? I really like this pc but if theres something wrong with the I7 8700 i’ll have to look for a new one.

This is what they said :

Do NOT get the locked i7. It has a problem (probably intentional) with throttling Turbo Boost, it's slower that the unlocked one, and you'll honestly probably regret not being able to overclock a few years down the line.

And 

turbo boost is quiet useless according to my experience, there's a reason why i disabled my turbo boost and fixed the clock speed as i got higher points on cinebench and significantly very low stuttering when playing ACO with medium-high settings

both different users. Is this true or can i just buy the pc without a problem? 

Turbo boost is not useless on a locked sku, using Windows performance mode with decent cooling you'll find the CPU will always run close to or at that speed. With the 8700 having a 4.6GHZ boost and the K having 4.7 you won't really notice the difference, its only when overclocked to higher than stock speeds that you might.

Depends on your needs. Most prebuilts won't support overclocking anyway, so you don't lose much. The turbo speeds on the locked model are slightly slower than the 8700K but you won't notice that with a GTX1070, barely with a 1080Ti even in most cases.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

Turbo boost is not useless on a locked sku, using Windows performance mode with decent cooling you'll find the CPU will always run close to or at that speed.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Depends on your needs. Most prebuilts won't support overclocking anyway, so you don't lose much. The turbo speeds on the locked model are slightly slower than the 8700K but you won't notice that with a GTX1070, barely with a 1080Ti even in most cases.

So the turbo boost from the i7 8700 works fine? 

1 minute ago, Sem223 said:

So the turbo boost from the i7 8700 works fine? 

Yep, 4.3ghz all core turbo according to @Princess Cadence (who owns an 8700)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yep, 4.3ghz all core turbo according to @Princess Cadence (who owns an 8700)

That’s without needing to do anything right?

15 minutes ago, Sem223 said:

Do NOT get the locked i7. It has a problem (probably intentional) with throttling Turbo Boost, it's slower that the unlocked one, and you'll honestly probably regret not being able to overclock a few years down the line.

Maintaining Turbo Boost is also highly dependent on how effective the cooling is on the processor as well.

I have a locked processor, I only see it not turbo boost when I run Prime95 because it's running AVX instructions, which significantly increases the amount of heat needed to dissipate. But if I'm not doing that, then the processor maintains turbo speeds just fine.

Also I wouldn't not regret being able to overclock an i7-8700 down the road. For one thing, "overclocking" doesn't actually overclock anything. It just sets the upper limit of the Turbo Boost to a higher multiplier (unless you start messing with BCLK and all that). For another, most people have only gotten the i7-8700K to 5.0-5.2GHz, which at its best is a measly 10% increase in performance. By the time I would want to replace the 8700, what's available would be beating it at stock. Well, if the trend of performance improvements per generation continues as it does.

28 minutes ago, Sem223 said:

That’s without needing to do anything right?

Well you do have to ensure cooling is adequate however this task is easier with the locked one since it has a lower TDP of 65w opposed to the unlocked ones that usually are around 95w.

All core turbo is of 4.3ghz, if you don't use all cores it will be between 4.4ghz and 4.5ghz, you don't have to do any thing in special if you mean like going to BIOS set stuff up unless you want to.

Edit: Just saw you have your eyes on pre-build instead of building it yourself in this case I would be very careful because it is indeed true many pre-builds uses very shitty motherboards and very shitty cooling what could indeed turn its boost down under the 4.0ghz

But this is the pre-build fault for using shitty components and shitty design not the CPU.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

21 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Edit: Just saw you have your eyes on pre-build instead of building it yourself in this case I would be very careful because it is indeed true many pre-builds uses very shitty motherboards and very shitty cooling what could indeed turn its boost down under the 4.0ghz

But this is the pre-build fault for using shitty components and shitty design not the CPU.

Conlake confirmed :P

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper