Can we get a built-in crop tool for pictures on forum?

suchamoneypit
Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,

Windows has a solution for all of this built in already. It's called snip (looks like scissors) It comes with Windows 10 AFAIK, since I've never downloaded it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

image.png.b59e4f55c1bcc934b52f5a00990c39bd.png

This is the little window you get (had to use printscreen ironically to get it to show up, as it minimizes itself from any snip you make). You can choose Free form ("lasso"), rectangular (the one I use most often) Window (this will actually take a screenshot of only the program you have running, so if you have CPUz, MSI afterburner, or a half screene'd web browser open it will only grab the program you tell it to ) and full screen (capturing everything on all monitors).

Untitled.png.c45e690133d1441d9bb20b89a5379749.png

After you snip you can makes edits as needed. It's less "paint"-y so if you need to do anything more than scribble, might want to bring it over to paint (drawing boxes for example)

Untitled.png.c1732cd876a239151bb7bb58ddadb868.png

I even have mine set up to immediately have the snip in my clip board, so i can just hit CTRL+V and the forum automatically places it as an attachment :) 

image.png

You can double click a image in a post to edit size, but can we get a built in crop tool?

Would allow users to hit print screen, copy in a picture with CTRL-V, and then crop. Would make giving detailed walk throughs on how to do something to someone asking a question a breeze.

The current solution requires use of a website, use of a photo editor, saving and uploading files for image hosting, ect. It would drastically reduce the amount of clicks and time required to give quality help and answers.

EDIT: As pointed out this already exists for profile pictures, code the functionally not simply be copied over?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

You can double click a image in a post to edit size

TIL

As for the actual topic, I support this. It would be really nice not to have to go through paint just to give someone as quick screenshot.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

8 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

You can double click a image in a post to edit size, but can we get a built in crop tool?

Especially since they already have one that's used for editing profile pictures.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

8 hours ago, sazrocks said:

TIL

As for the actual topic, I support this. It would be really nice not to have to go through paint just to give someone as quick screenshot.

Ahem

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

One more reason to use opera... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

third party program, not a built-in solution

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

6 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

third party program, not a built-in solution

Works better than built-in since I can just hit Ctrl+Shift+4 to do a region capture instead of having to open a tool first.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Good suggestion, I've passed it on to the devs. The chances are that they will ignore it though I'm afraid.

HTTP/2 203

Windows has a solution for all of this built in already. It's called snip (looks like scissors) It comes with Windows 10 AFAIK, since I've never downloaded it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

image.png.b59e4f55c1bcc934b52f5a00990c39bd.png

This is the little window you get (had to use printscreen ironically to get it to show up, as it minimizes itself from any snip you make). You can choose Free form ("lasso"), rectangular (the one I use most often) Window (this will actually take a screenshot of only the program you have running, so if you have CPUz, MSI afterburner, or a half screene'd web browser open it will only grab the program you tell it to ) and full screen (capturing everything on all monitors).

Untitled.png.c45e690133d1441d9bb20b89a5379749.png

After you snip you can makes edits as needed. It's less "paint"-y so if you need to do anything more than scribble, might want to bring it over to paint (drawing boxes for example)

Untitled.png.c1732cd876a239151bb7bb58ddadb868.png

I even have mine set up to immediately have the snip in my clip board, so i can just hit CTRL+V and the forum automatically places it as an attachment :) 

image.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Useful tool and I'll definitely use it, however that means only people using windows 10 can use it? A built in crop tool for be a universal solution, and still beneficial to add.

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Useful tool and I'll definitely use it, however that means only people using windows 10 can use it? A built in crop tool for be a universal solution, and still beneficial to add.

• For Windows 10 - Select the Start  button, type snipping tool in the search box on the taskbar, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.
  • For Windows 8.1 / Windows RT 8.1 - Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search), type snipping tool in the search box, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.
  • For Windows 7 - Select the Start  button, then type snipping tool in the search box, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:
  • For Windows 10 - Select the Start  button, type snipping tool in the search box on the taskbar, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.
  • For Windows 8.1 / Windows RT 8.1 - Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search), type snipping tool in the search box, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.
  • For Windows 7 - Select the Start  button, then type snipping tool in the search box, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.

It's also in Windows Vista.  And for everything else, there's Paint.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

To add onto what @TVwazhere aka #CoinDaddy was saying, I have the snipping tool pinned to the start bar and LTT forum supports copy/paste so it really doesn't get easier.