Lucasfilm Rumored to Ditch EA for a New Game Publisher

Rumors are going around that Lucasfilm isn't too happy with how the Star Wars franchise is turning out ever since they handed the license over to Electronic Arts in 2013. Up to now, EA has produced a total of two titles under the Star Wars: Battlefront sub-series. Their first Star Wars: Battlefront game was released in 2015 as a reboot of the previous games. Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) was highly criticized for its lack of a single player campaign. EA's solution to keep die-hard Star Wars fans happy was to release a multitude of free expansions and paid DLC packs to add more content to the game. And then came Star Wars: Battlefront II in 2017, a sequel that received even harsher backlash because of the over aggressive loot-crate system that was implemented into the game. 

Hopefully the rumors are true, I personally think that EA is a horrible company to work on Star Wars related games after the two Battlefront games they have released.

Poor single player campaigns when they first added them, a horrific micro transaction system, and not much fun gameplay to be honest.

But who else is capable to continue and hype up players who have been left dissappointed in the games produced by EA? I think Naughty Dog can be a good replacement. Good storylines in The Uncharted series, but I haven't touched the multiplayer aspect of it, so there is that. They seem to be exclusive to PlayStation, and I would like to play a new Star Wars game on PC.

Source:

https://www.techpowerup.com/241675/lucasfilm-rumored-to-ditch-ea-for-a-new-game-publisher

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

I heard Activision and Ubisoft are in the focus already, but Ubisoft made some mistakes for the Episode 3 game and Lucasarts wants to choose Activision instead.

I've read this on german gaming site gamestar.de

4 minutes ago, Hip said:

I heard Activision and Ubisoft are in the focus already, but Ubisoft made some mistakes for the Episode 3 game and Lucasarts wants to choose Activision instead.

I've read this on german gaming site gamestar.de

gamestar.de pointed to cinelinx, and on cinelinx its all rumor and conjecture too.

Without any actual reliable source or quote from Disney/EA i will have to quote a few posts up:

20 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Fake news.

And as someone who played every SW game i could get i wish this was true :(

I still kinda want EA to make this. I love the battlefield style games and i dont see how activision or ubisoft is goung to recreate that. I still dont like EA and theur lootboxes, but one thing is clear and that is that they make good games. If activision or ubisoft can pull these games i cant wait, but i dont see them swapping from EA yet.

24 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

CD projekt red would be a good pick as a studio

Totally forgot about them. They would be amazing for it! And it would look proper gorgeous aswell.

24 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Fake news.

Not necessarily, considering EA's 3 billion loss in value at the end of 2017, and Disney involvement to get EA to stop with the insane microtransactions it's actually very possible that they will change developer. Maybe EA doesn't want to make the next Star Wars game, considering this.

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

6 minutes ago, Klovnious said:

Not necessarily, considering EA's 3 billion loss in value at the end of 2017, and Disney involvement to get EA to stop with the insane microtransactions it's actually very possible that they will change developer. Maybe EA doesn't want to make the next Star Wars game, considering this.

Disney doesn't care if EA lost money which by the way they actually haven't, they've gained a lot of money actually, they only care if about SW games making money which once again they have been making. Yes, people got pissed with the whole micro-transactions but those sold like crazy, once again it was just a loud minority that didn't even register on the map.

Plus we don't know the technicalities of the contract between Disney and EA, but based on how these things work, Disney are the ones that are going to lose a lot of money if they break the contract before it expires. Something they are never going to do.

The only thing that they can do and it seems like that's what they want, is to make SW games in house, thus it doesn't break the contract.

Remember EA has an exclusive deal with Disney for making SW games, meaning that Disney can't go to a third party studio or publisher for a SW game, however they can make it themselves because they are the ones that hold the license.

Also EA doesn't want to make SW games? Yeah right. They were the ones that bid for it the most.

39 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Disney doesn't care if EA lost money which by the way they actually haven't, they've gained a lot of money actually, they only care if about SW games making money which once again they have been making. Yes, people got pissed with the whole micro-transactions but those sold like crazy, once again it was just a loud minority that didn't even register on the map.

Plus we don't know the technicalities of the contract between Disney and EA, but based on how these things work, Disney are the ones that are going to lose a lot of money if they break the contract before it expires. Something they are never going to do.

The only thing that they can do and it seems like that's what they want, is to make SW games in house, thus it doesn't break the contract.

Remember EA has an exclusive deal with Disney for making SW games, meaning that Disney can't go to a third party studio or publisher for a SW game, however they can make it themselves because they are the ones that hold the license.

Also EA doesn't want to make SW games? Yeah right. They were the ones that bid for it the most.

Yeah, no one else mentions Disney,they've messed up SW more than EA ever did. I hate that they micro-transaction milked SWBF2,but the SW licensing from Disney probably wasn't cheap either.

It's a rumor, so I remain skeptical.  But the problem isn't so much EA as it is the culture that drives major game publishers like EA, Activision and Ubisoft: they all have that financial pressure to churn out a new game in a franchise every year, to depend heavily on DLC for profit, to create "safe" games in familiar genres.  Activision is notorious for milking franchises so heavily that it kills them (see Guitar Hero, and arguably Call of Duty) -- unless it trusts the games to Blizzard or another studio known for consistent quality, you could end up with Stars of Duty XXVII: Hutt Warfare.

The challenge, of course, would be finding a publisher that's big enough to produce Star Wars games without strangling the franchise to death.  Bethesda, maybe?  It'd be interesting to see a Fallout-style game in that universe.  Me, I just wish someone could remaster X-Wing and TIE Fighter...

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

Since this information is a Rumor and not confirmed information it cannot be posted in the news section..

Thanks for the enthusiasm but please be mindful of what you post.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don’t care who makes it but a new galactic battlegrounds would be da bomb