"Monitors are so 2013: Apple patents a ‘desk-free’ computer with smart laser projector"

TopWargamer

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/17/monitors-are-so-2013-apple-scores-patent-for-a-desk-free-computer-with-smart-laser-projector/

apple-projector-computer.jpg?w=396&h=318

Apple today has received U.S. Patent No. 8,610,726, “Computer systems and methods with projected display,” reports Apple Insider. It offers a glimpse at a new face of computing that isn’t shackled down by traditional monitors, and which could potentially do for in-home projectors what the iPhone did for smartphones.

The patent describes a featureless computer box, dubbed a “desk-free computer,” with a laser projector system built-in that can produce a 40-inch image from under 15-inches away. It connects to all of its accessories wirelessly, and it also supports inductive wireless charging (so you can just place it on a wireless charging surface to receive power). Apple could potentially include a battery in the computer, as well.

Not even gonna lie, this sounds really cool. This is true innovation in the works right here, and I am VERY happy to see that Apple is finally doing something different. Took them long enough. Anyways, it sounds like the computer and "monitor"/projector would all be built into one box. So you would just setup the box high enough, and then it would project everything onto a wall, projector screen, etc.

Again, this sounds really cool, BUT I can see there being some technical challenges when making this. One thing is the actual projector, and by this I'm referring to those special projector light bulbs. Something tells me that Apple MIGHT make it not accessible, which is a bad thing, because it eventually it will die, and you will have to replace it. So HOPEFULLY Apple will make that part easily replaceable, but if not, whenever that light dies, people will have to buy another one of these "projector-computer hybrids", which would be a dirty trick on Apple's part to bring in more revenue while screwing over their customers.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?

COMIC SANS

Sounds nice. It'd really like to use a projector for gaming and such but if Apple can pull off the idea of using smart laser projectors for general use it'll be good, although many people are good stick with a proper descent monitor.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Is laser projector their magical new word for a DLP projector.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

What if your wall isn't white, or flat, or if you have a corner desk, or if you want a higher resolution. To increase the size you would have to be further away, I wouldn't call it innovation, I would call it integration.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

4k projector from Apple in 2014 confirmed. :D  30% sRGB coverage and you can't see shit during the day, but you got 4k.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

So it is a projector that has a computer integrated in the box?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'd be worried about the refresh rate. Would this projector be capable of 60hz or more?  

Does a laser projector use bulbs? LG has a really cool laser product that sits exactly where you'd put the flatscreen and projects onto the wall. It looks like the future of projectors. It's very close to LED/LCD quality. My issue with mine was that it was never as crisp, colorful, bright enough, dark enough. So I sold it and got an LED again... It was an Epson 8350.

LG HECTO

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/17/monitors-are-so-2013-apple-scores-patent-for-a-desk-free-computer-with-smart-laser-projector/

apple-projector-computer.jpg?w=396&h=318

Not even gonna lie, this sounds really cool. This is true innovation in the works right here, and I am VERY happy to see that Apple is finally doing something different. Took them long enough. Anyways, it sounds like the computer and "monitor"/projector would all be built into one box. So you would just setup the box high enough, and then it would project everything onto a wall, projector screen, etc.

Again, this sounds really cool, BUT I can see there being some technical challenges when making this. One thing is the actual projector, and by this I'm referring to those special projector light bulbs. Something tells me that Apple MIGHT make it not accessible, which is a bad thing, because it eventually it will die, and you will have to replace it. So HOPEFULLY Apple will make that part easily replaceable, but if not, whenever that light dies, people will have to buy another one of these "projector-computer hybrids", which would be a dirty trick on Apple's part to bring in more revenue while screwing over their customers.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?

Laser diodes last about 25000 hours vs 4000 hours of lamp life in eco mode, but I believe LCDs last 100k hours. .

I'd be worried about the refresh rate. Would this projector be capable of 60hz or more?  

Similar to 600hz sub-field drive, like plasmas. It still 60hz at 10 sub-fields instead of refreshing the whole image, but results in "almost blur-free" motion.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

actually there are led projectors which are not as bright but they will last for basically a lifetime... most likely that is what they will do  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Gigabyte already makes one.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

If you are still in school you have seen beamers, if this is anything like a beamer it will be shit for real work. Bad contrast is very annoying. Also you need to place the computer box in a weird position I think, now my desk is clean

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I'm sure Apple fanboys would love to do some photoshop work on this... oh wait.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Meh, it's interesting but at the end of the day its just a patent and Apple has patented tons of stuff that has never made it into any product of theirs.

I'll pass, this thing may sound cool but it'll never live up to the colour reproduction of monitors.

Not to mention it's apple and this will cost you 3 monitors

Meh, don't really see a point doing this unless they want to sue Gigabyte.

Apple patents a ‘desk-free’ computer with smart laser projector

Not even gonna lie, this sounds really cool. This is true innovation in the works right here

II believe you are drunk.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Sorry OP but this is some of the worse news of the week, nothing personal but is directed at Apple. (we need such a category) Since when is a freaking projector news or new? As stated before in the day its freaking crap, and we all know how un-dusty our homes are who owns a projector now and have seen those small specs of dust float by not to mention the random bug or the fellow house dweller who squishes a bug on the wall or screen, heck most damn theaters have such splotches on the screen, totally annoying!

Apple Fail...

As for a desk free computer, anyone with a projector can accomplish this today, how can they patent that? Man those Apple lawyers sure are bored.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Quality Control: quality-control_thumb.jpgAnalyzed by an extremely dedicated production manager that is obsessed with perfection

-Digital Storm

Made me lol

(Off topic)

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.