Does your familie support your computer habits?

Jeroen1322

I do :D. From 3 days,my mom and my dad are going to the hospital as my grandparents have come here for some check up i think. So,they go twice a day and at that time,i play and surf the net :D. Pretty cool huh?

I don't get it, why would you need approval from parents to play games? 

They don't, but they're also completely lost without my computer knowledge. They've accepted it as necessary.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

im here in my room a little bit to much, unhealthy amounts maybe? (6-8 hours on friday, saturday and sunday and 3 hours during monday to thuesday) my grades ait doing breat atm, i had an average grade last year around 4,2 and this year i have 3,1 (in norway we use 1-6 not F-A, 1=f. 2=e 3=c 4=d 5=b and 6=a) soooo, im thinking about using my 650 next year and give my 780 to my dad and let him only give it to me during saturday and sunday

They don't care. I am an increasingly more succesfull person. Implying exorcism on me will only cause harm. I do not see any problem. Gaming on a computer is just a type of gaming, like many others.

When someone thinks of gaming as a bad thing. For me it's just as stupid as thinking of any other type of gaming as bad, take skying for exemple.

I heard stories of computer banning and stuff, some sort of activity racism.

Other than the occasional "you are addicted to the computer, whether you admit it or not" I've always been pretty much let loose. The funny thing is that I don't even play all that much anymore, I just don't have anything better to do.

I think it's retarded to Ban someone of an enjoying activity for not other reason then because you think the activity is bad. Then the reaction to beleive that your right because the victim does not approve what you say. ''oh it's because your obsessed''. Replace the Gaming on a computer activity with any other activity. The reaction wouldn't be different

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

My parents dont like me gaming however they do support my general computer knowledge.

Although they do not support my computer spending habits, i7, gtx 680 ( when it came out )...you get the gist of things 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

everytime I buy a game on steam my parents are like:  "Are you sure this is safe site? Are you absolutely positive? I don't think you use a credit card on the internet."

When I told my dad about League of Legends being a sport, he said that was "sad". ---Really? sadder than spending 4 hours a week on the couch watching football? I honestly don't see the difference. 

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

Yes

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

mine give me a chance to update after every 3 years and with a tight budget -_-

How much was the tight budget?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Computer = Satan

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

My Dad was so proud of my brother and I for building our pc's...my mom still nags about the price and not spending time with her.

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

They do have distaste for it yes.

They like that I can fix computers though.

Gasbags...I don't mind them anyway.

My friends support/approve it all.

my parents don't they thing my whole computer thing is a waste of time, my mom still checks her email on a win xp dell OptiPlex with a Pentium 4, she likes it because she says "America online is really user friendly".

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

"You are wasting your life playing games and not having a GF 24/7"
"The PC has possessed you"

"We will send you to to a religions hospital for this! We saw it on the TV!"

"If you are making money then its fine, if you aren't then you are wasting your time"

"You are sick, you need to be spent to hospital"
"Wasting money on games...."

"Wasting your money on PC components......"

"You are paying for internet but that's not enough!"

My family says this but my brothers says some of it who was 24/7 raiding in World of Warcraft in a net cafe.....while i also keep lending him cash all the time which he doesn't return

This is what i hear all the time, hopefully i move out when i start University next year but i doubt it since im probably going to stay in the same city........

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

How much was the tight budget?

1000$ max. :|

• CPU i5 3570k - 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard Intel DZ77SL50K | RAM Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 BUS DDR3 4GBx1 | GPU 2x Sparkle GTX 570 OC editionCase CM 370 EliteStorage Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA HARD DRIVE 64MB CACHEPSU Cooler Master GX series 550W (80+ bronze)Display(s) Samsung 46' series 5 TV(1080p), Dell 20' (1280x1024)Cooling 3x Corsair SP120 QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN TWIN PACKKeyboard DELL original default keyboardMouse A4 Tech x2 800dpi | Sound On board~!

As long as I get the marks and grades my mother wants(Which I do) , she couldn't care less what I do. She is giving me $600 for christmas just because I got straight A's in maths, Science and English :3 I wuv her

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

1000$ max. :

That's plenty enough, learn to spend.

That's plenty enough, learn to spend.

i don't get that all together, i get like 600 then 200 and then if they feel happy about something the remaining 200. 

if i did not know how to spend, why the hell would i waste so much money?

• CPU i5 3570k - 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard Intel DZ77SL50K | RAM Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 BUS DDR3 4GBx1 | GPU 2x Sparkle GTX 570 OC editionCase CM 370 EliteStorage Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA HARD DRIVE 64MB CACHEPSU Cooler Master GX series 550W (80+ bronze)Display(s) Samsung 46' series 5 TV(1080p), Dell 20' (1280x1024)Cooling 3x Corsair SP120 QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN TWIN PACKKeyboard DELL original default keyboardMouse A4 Tech x2 800dpi | Sound On board~!

When we (my brother has had this same problem and we started about same time) first begun gaming seriously, then it was bit problem. I was in highschool, my brother still in elementary school. It was about making rules and bending them abit. And since we had only one computer which was able to run games like CS, it was either me playing or my brother playing. When we both started playing comp BF2 problems came again. This time it was more about gaming too late since pc was placed in open area and we were talking kinda loud. And having pracs and officals pretty much 5 days a week. But it was more about noise and playing late at night on school days.

Since we are adults now its easier to explain things. And have bit support. We have both been in team meetups and lan events which are the real social side of gaming. Me being bit shy one, I have more "net-friends" because of gaming. And the fact that neither of us is playing comp anymore. That frees time to do more things and doesn't make it look like we are spending too much time on pc.

Money wise we have bought all upgrades with own money. Either gift money or from summer jobs. Thats reason I don't really like those kind of kids that upgrade all the time with their parents money. They won't learn to appreciate hw their getting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Gaming? No, not really. They tolerate it, but they won't let me buy my own games most of the time. (this started up my love for F2P games, such as planetside 2, & firefall.)

My love for computers is greatly supported however, and my "expertise" is often called upon, I'm actually the network admin on the router, and I've just recently overhauled my dad's old laptop (installed ubuntu & libreoffice)

Well, 50-50. My mom says,"Well,You can use the computer and also gain the knowledge about computers and gaming. but not at this age. She says i should do it at the right age. And,Not now. I should concentrate on my studies".What should i do to convice her? Any tips? :D

tell her that learning about computers now could earn you an internship at a technology firm in the future or something like that

Fractal R4- 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb- 2TB Wd Black- 256 GB Samsung SSD- Cosair 760w PSU- Corsair h80i- ASUS CU II GTX 780- ASUS VI Hero LGA 1150

My parents are nagging about how much i've spend on the PC. When the payday comes, time for me to drive to my favourite store again (NCIX of course). lol they were just nagging about the parts, yet alone they didn't know how much the watercooling is :P. PC building is so addicting can't stop upgrading!