Why does overwatch hate you overclocking?

rfcokilljoy

Hey! Overwatch is one heck of a popular game on PC, so why does it HATE overclocking your GPU so much?

There are countless threads online about it. Cpu overclocking is fine! Ram? Also fine! Gpu?? You overclock that even a TINY bit and suddenly "error - rendering device lost".

But the odd thing is that pre-overclocked Gpu's from Asus or msi or whoever, work 100% fine. Why is this??? I can't think of anything and it's confusing me!!! 

Someone smarter give me a reason why!!

i5 7600k @5.2ghz 1.39v i7 7700k @5.1ghz 1.39v / Strix z270h / 16gb Trident z RGB 3200mhz CL16 1.35v (2400mhz CL15 kit overclocked) / GTX 1070ti sli both with Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv coolers / EVGA 750w Gold PSU

Samsung cf791 3440x1440 100hz Quantum Dot

Haven't broken something with an OC yet... YET.

some people have been running an unstable GPU overclock and well sometimes it only crashes when it has to do something specific like run overwatch

ive had my cpu crash ONLY in minecraft when overclocked to 4.5ghz, anything else it would do but minecraft.. bsod.

yes, that even includes 24 hours of p95 (non avx), aida, gaming, folding, windows updates,

ive also had my gpu crash ONLY in GTA V when overclocked only slightly, but it is perfectly fine in any other game / mining / folding.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My 970 has a factory OC of 1404mhz, and it runs perfectly fine.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Wait hold on(just gonna jump in here, don't mind me...), does this mean that I wouldn't be able to run Overwatch on my self-overclocked GTX 780?

One of my friends has been saying I should get it for a while and I can run the game, but if I have to remove my overclock to do it...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Strike105X said:

Well look at the bright side, you might not like it in the first place :p, together with Street Fighter V its one of the few games i actually regret buying...

Playing with friends increases the experience a fair bit, although you've got a good point.

I might be absolute crap at OW playing at only 60(75 if I enable FreeSync)Hz...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If an overclock fails with Overwatch, its not Overwatch falt. It just means ur overclock wasnt 100% stable.

I to have an example. i had about 50mhz higher OC on my GPU, for months, untill i started playing Path of Exile (this was a few years back). Try as i might, i couldnt get my original OC to run with POE untill i droped it by 50mhz. After that it was fine. At the same time i was beta testing FFXIV ARR, it also didnt like my original OC, showing artifacts here and there.

But ALL my other games and programs ran fine.

Needless to say im running at the lower clock still, as those 2 games proved my OC was not stable 100%.

I dont blame those games, infact i thank them as they pointed out an instability with my system.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

58 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Wait hold on(just gonna jump in here, don't mind me...), does this mean that I wouldn't be able to run Overwatch on my self-overclocked GTX 780?

One of my friends has been saying I should get it for a while and I can run the game, but if I have to remove my overclock to do it...

No. I have no idea what this guy is talking about. My 1080 is overclocked to 2ghz and it runs fine, and my old 780ti was overclocked to 1200mhz and it was fine. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

6 hours ago, SolarNova said:

If an overclock fails with Overwatch, its not Overwatch falt. It just means ur overclock wasnt 100% stable.

I to have an example. i had about 50mhz higher OC on my GPU, for months, untill i started playing Path of Exile (this was a few years back). Try as i might, i couldnt get my original OC to run with POE untill i droped it by 50mhz. After that it was fine. At the same time i was beta testing FFXIV ARR, it also didnt like my original OC, showing artifacts here and there.

But ALL my other games and programs ran fine.

Needless to say im running at the lower clock still, as those 2 games proved my OC was not stable 100%.

I dont blame those games, infact i thank them as they pointed out an instability with my system.

By that logic then three of my gpu's are unstable at even a +10 on the core? I just think it's odd that it happens in this game and is so well documented.

6 hours ago, Zeitec said:

No. I have no idea what this guy is talking about. My 1080 is overclocked to 2ghz and it runs fine, and my old 780ti was overclocked to 1200mhz and it was fine. 

"This guy" assumes you are a very lucky ducky then!! Either that or you dont play enough for it to crash??

7 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

This is actually extremely helpful. Especially the part about factory overclocks. It does however talk about instability when "pushed to the max" which i know for a fact one of my cards is not. 60% load max in overwatch!

I guess unless someone FROM Blizzard decides to reply I won't get a conclusive answer. For now I'll just keep running at puny base clock speeds ?

i5 7600k @5.2ghz 1.39v i7 7700k @5.1ghz 1.39v / Strix z270h / 16gb Trident z RGB 3200mhz CL16 1.35v (2400mhz CL15 kit overclocked) / GTX 1070ti sli both with Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv coolers / EVGA 750w Gold PSU

Samsung cf791 3440x1440 100hz Quantum Dot

Haven't broken something with an OC yet... YET.

1 hour ago, rfcokilljoy said:

I played several hundred hours on the 780ti, and about 100 on the 1080. If that's not enough to get a crash then I guess I'm just lucky between two graphics cards and two seperate computers.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

I have both my CPU and GPU Overclocked as far as they will go and have never had any issues with overwatch.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

It could be a problem with the game or maybe just drivers but I've had the problem before as well. Also if an oc is on the edge of stable dropping it 10mhz or so maybe might give you a better avg fps/score. Because the card isn't getting power limited as much if you have the thermal head room. GN has talked about that durning there titan v power shunt mods

i overclock my gpu with msi afterburner and it works fine with overwatch.