Questions about liquid metal TIM

So the more and more I see the results of deliding and the amazing thermal transfer of liquid metal based TIMs, the more tempted I am to take the plunge.

I'd like to do some reading on that first before I commit to it.

I'd very curious to know how this stuff will react to the bare copper water blocks I use on my system.

I'm also hoping to gather some info on what insulation can be used to mitigate the risks involved in the event of a slight leakage.

This video certainly showed some ideas.

I would ask if there's any further reading I can do before I truly decide to go through with it.

---

So you’re gonna get rid of the ihs and run a block directly on the die?  Wouldn’t do that myself for long term. 

Appropriate nail polish can be used for insolation. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

So you’re gonna get rid of the ihs and run a block directly on the die?  Wouldn’t do that myself for long term. 

I should have clarified:

The bare die is my GPU.

Obviously there is no IHS there, only the water block on the bare die.

For the CPU, I do intend on keeping the IHS, but my understanding is that optimally, I'd be using the liquid metal both between the die and the IHS and between the IHS and the water block.

Please do correct me if I am mistaken.

---

You can, just isn’t preferred to use metal on blocks. It can eat them, so good for a test just not so much for long term. 

I think nuckle plating is better for that but I can’t recall right now. Still isn’t preferred. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

You can, just isn’t preferred to use metal on blocks. It can eat them, so good for a test just not so much for long term.

So normally the liquid metal TIM would only be between the IHS and the die?

I say this knowing that my GPU core temps go up much slower than my CPU temps.

Again, the GPU is a bare die against a bare copper water block with Arctic Silver in between.

---

2 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

Again, the GPU is a bare die against a bare copper water block with Arctic Silver in between.

I highly recommend checking out Gamers Nexus's videos on liquid metal. They go into a lot more detail about Liquid metal Specifics

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

I think GPU die is not worth the hassle of liquid metal. I believe the larger die size of the GPU means that it is not so dependent on the TIM being super thermally conductive. Most tests that I've seen on youtube conclude you only get really <5 degrees gain with LM. I recently changed my MX-4 on my GPUs to Kryonaut, and observed some gains, and think that this is the sweet spot for GPU die thermal paste without risking shorting anything.

23 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I highly recommend checking out Gamers Nexus's videos on liquid metal.

Having now watched the video, they really only talked about the main performance benefits of liquid metal and talked at length about the underperformance of the stock TIM.

What I was hoping for was info on how liquid metal affects the materials it comes in contact with and some info on best practices on protecting the hardware from electrical shorts.

---

33 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

You don't really need LM between the IHS and cooler, it doesn't make much of a difference whereas it does if used between the die and ihs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

You don't really need LM between the IHS and cooler, it doesn't make much of a difference whereas it does if used between the die and IHS.

That's good to know. It would save me a lot of worry about the LM having weird interactions with bare copper.

---

From my experience... liquid metal on a bare copper block does 2 different things. First it does react with the copper and tends to etch it slightly... second this interaction also causes the liquid metal to dry up after a year or so... so you will need to constantly replace the liquid metal to keep satisfactory results. If you can find a nickle plated block for the contact to the die you will have little issue then.

If not then it might be better to go with a high end TIM and skip the liquid metal. Liquid metal normally only makes a drastic difference when used on delidded cpu's anyways.

40 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Thanks for the tips.

My understanding now is that I would be using liquid metal between the CPU die and the IHS, and then a normal TIM (like Grizzly Kryonaut or Arctic Silver) between the IHS and the water block.

In this setup, there would be no contact between the LM and the bare copper.

---

4 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

Thanks for the tips.

My understanding now is that I would be using liquid metal between the CPU die and the IHS, and then a normal TIM (like Grizzly Kryonaut or Arctic Silver) between the IHS and the water block.

In this setup, there would be no contact between the LM and the bare copper.

Correct. My response was directed at using it on the GPU.

When it comes to cpu and delidding then liquid metal is a MUST in my opinion. Just make sure to use a tool if you are not savvy with a razor. Then it is also a good idea to use either clear nail polish or liquid electrical tape to paint over the connectors on the top of the chip. I personally also use clear tab around the die so that if any of the liquid metals comes off the die it doesn't contact the rest of the chip. Then when done peal it off and mount the IHS back on.. I personally secure it with gasket maker.

Superglue works, but I have seen cases where it actually would damage the chip when mounting pressure was applied because the superglue has no give, where the gasket maker does. This makes because when you apply mount pressure back to the IHS it will make the chip flare on the sides from the down force.. so having a little give in your adhesive is a good thing.

You can also just let the clamp hold down the IHS, but I have always preferred to secure it.