Which is better for first car?

Darren319
2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Are you guys required to carry car insurance? If so, you might contact your agent about what vehicles you looking at, this way they can give you a quote on insurance. Keep in mind that insurance will be insane for you, because your soo young. 

Even if insurance wasn't mandatory, I'd still advise it - especially for a $7K car.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Even if insurance wasn't mandatory, I'd still advise it - especially for a $7K car.

The point Im making, the more expensive ish and sport ish the car the more insurance will be. They always stick it to the younger generation. God help you if your a male because you will pay more for that, oh and because the OP probably doent have good credit yet, they will fuck them on that too. I call this discrimination but its legal. The OP needs to be aware of other costs of owning a car, insurance, Fuel economy, repairs, etc. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

An NA Miata will probably be easier to fix if you are willing to get your hands dirty. And since the Miata has always been a very popular vehicle in the customization world, after market parts are everywhere. The Miata is a much simpler car as well so less things that tend to go horribly wrong. Electronics are a major issue with cars these days. 

6 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

Miata's are really cool and fun to drive... but from everything I have heard they are expensive to get repaired...

i dont own one. this is only what i have heard so i could be wrong

i have driven one though... lots of fun

I've owned one for 5 years now (well a Jap spec Eunos Roadster, rather than a US spec Miata) and can confirm that BlueChinchilla is right for the most part. The maintenance is as easy as it gets on a car for the novice mechanic. Parts in general are pretty cheap too, though there are some exceptions. What isn't cheap to repair is rust, getting it repaired properly is seriously expensive, I speak from experience. As you're in the US I'd try to source one from a dry (climate not alcohol) state as these cars' single biggest fault is they rust like bastards. 

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

The NA Miata is a fun car, but I wouldn't get one as a first car. 

If you do get one, be extra careful in the rain, especially on highways.  On rainy days it really can use some extra weight in the rear.

Rain is fine, but fit good tyres. It's car without stability control, and possibly without ABS (though I think that was standard on US models?) good quality tyres are essential. My experience on snow with one is limited, and I'd like it to remain that way. A full winter tyre should help though if you can find them small enough...

I don't use mine as a daily driver any more, practicality became an issue, as did the brutally hard suspension the previous owner installed. But when I was, it was certainly reliable enough to serve as a daily. The boot/trunk is small, though much more useable than the mid-engined Toyota MR2. It lacks a lot of modern features and doing more than 200 miles a day in one gets old fast, but if you can live with those limitations it's a fine daily driver. And driving fast with the top down, especially at night, is fucking epic :D    

33 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

I've owned one for 5 years now (well a Jap spec Eunos Roadster, rather than a US spec Miata) and can confirm that BlueChinchilla is right for the most part. The maintenance is as easy as it gets on a car for the novice mechanic. Parts in general are pretty cheap too, though there are some exceptions. What isn't cheap to repair is rust, getting it repaired properly is seriously expensive, I speak from experience. As you're in the US I'd try to source one from a dry (climate not alcohol) state as these cars' single biggest fault is they rust like bastards. 

Rain is fine, but fit good tyres. It's car without stability control, and possibly without ABS (though I think that was standard on US models?) good quality tyres are essential. My experience on snow with one is limited, and I'd like it to remain that way. A full winter tyre should help though if you can find them small enough...

I don't use mine as a daily driver any more, practicality became an issue, as did the brutally hard suspension the previous owner installed. But when I was, it was certainly reliable enough to serve as a daily. The boot/trunk is small, though much more useable than the mid-engined Toyota MR2. It lacks a lot of modern features and doing more than 200 miles a day in one gets old fast, but if you can live with those limitations it's a fine daily driver. And driving fast with the top down, especially at night, is fucking epic :D    

I've been pretty set on a miata for a while now, but my mother doesn't want to let me get one even though i'm literally paying for everything. I hear insurance on them in the US is pretty cheap too. The only reason I was considering the audi is to compromise so I can get a manual and a convertible, and the awd and larger vehicle my mom wants me to get. I'd definately be modding the car, so as for snow tires I'd put them on the stock rims after getting new ones, and just use the stock rims in the winter.

How do you think it would do driving cross country? (No particular reason ? going from PA to cali and back)

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The point Im making, the more expensive ish and sport ish the car the more insurance will be. They always stick it to the younger generation. God help you if your a male because you will pay more for that, oh and because the OP probably doent have good credit yet, they will fuck them on that too. I call this discrimination but its legal. The OP needs to be aware of other costs of owning a car, insurance, Fuel economy, repairs, etc. 

Oh, agreed on all points.

Though the insurance cost - if anything - will hopefully convince the OP to get a more practical first car. But ultimately it's their money.

Personally, I'd never buy a Miata, at all. And if I ever got an A4, it would not be a convertible.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

not be a convertible.

Especially in a place that gets cold and gets snow. 

54 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Especially in a place that gets cold and gets snow. 

Yeah - insulating a convertible is only slightly easier than insulating a screen door lol. There are a lot more places where cold air (let alone water) can seep into a convertible.

It's also less durable, generally more costly, more complex mechanically and/or electrically, and so on.

Personally I've never been fond of convertibles to begin with, but if you're gonna buy one? Wait until you can afford a second "fun/weekend" car.

Growing up in Western NY and going to school in Northern NY, my first car was a 2006 Subaru Legacy. It was a brilliant first car for the area; especially with winter tires. Similar to the A4 you are looking at.

8 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

Growing up in Western NY and going to school in Northern NY, my first car was a 2006 Subaru Legacy. It was a brilliant first car for the area; especially with winter tires. Similar to the A4 you are looking at.

Can confirm, subaru's in NY are amazing. Almost got an STI before i settled on the Focus ST

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Can confirm, subaru's in NY are amazing. Almost got an STI before i settled on the Focus ST

Yeah, I was looking at getting a WRX or Legacy GT before I settled on the Fiesta ST. The Fiesta really holds its own as well on snow tires.

36 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

Yeah, I was looking at getting a WRX or Legacy GT before I settled on the Fiesta ST. The Fiesta really holds its own as well on snow tires.

Especially since Virginia gets a bit less snow than NY :P

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

OP Don't buy your first car off of cool factor. Miata is not always the answer. Go for a more practical car.

The Audi is a terrible idea. Early 2000's Audis are some of the least reliable junk piles on the planet.

57 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Especially since Virginia gets a bit less snow than NY :P

Generally yes lol. You'd be surprised though. Last couple of years we've gotten a few days of 12+ inches of snow. The difference down here is we are woefully unprepared for it (I think the surrounding cities in my area have a total of 4 snow plows combined); making the roads substantially worse than any main road I've ever driven on in NY during the winter.

Wild card, I say look at a Mazda3 or a Mazda6 from the early to mid 2000s

Personally when I get another job, I'm gonna look at a Mazda6 from 2005-2008. 2nd gen 6's were ugly imo lol

First and Third Gen Mazda6s ?

Wished speed6s were easier to find that'd be fun I bet, or Pontiac G8s were more abundant lol although probably not ideal for a first car.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah - insulating a convertible is only slightly easier than insulating a screen door lol. There are a lot more places where cold air (let alone water) can seep into a convertible.

It's also less durable, generally more costly, more complex mechanically and/or electrically, and so on.

Personally I've never been fond of convertibles to begin with, but if you're gonna buy one? Wait until you can afford a second "fun/weekend" car.

MX-5s/Miatas have very good heaters so insulation isn't a problem, though I'd advice against a metal gear knob. Water ingress, they are pretty good. The rain rail (plastic gutter at the base of roof) is prone to cracking and leaking, but can be swapped out for the NB one which is far less brittle. The glass windowed NB roof and frame goes straight on too, with all but the earliest NA having the wiring in place for the rear screen demister too. And the optional hard top deals with a lot of these issues, at the cost of not being able to put the roof down for some winter sun. 

The folding roof does add some mechanical complexity, but nothing you can't fix yourself. No additional electrical complexity, the roof isn't electric, not even as an option. The roofs do need cleaning and re-proofing though.

Either you get convertibles, or you don't. They are compromised, especially regarding luggage space, but for some it's worth it.  

On 2/12/2018 at 10:07 AM, dalekphalm said:

Also, please god buy real snow tires - not all season, 3 season, etc. Even if you have a light winter year, snow tires are extremely important, as regular all season tires start to lose grip at low temperatures, even if there's no snow.

lol Im in Minnesota and my mom has summer tires on her front set and all season on her rear set and she's not had any issues this winter yet and don't think she will considering that it's almost March. The worst of our Winter season has pretty much come and gone. Might get some more snow in the next month or so but not really any worse than what we couldve gotten last month or late december

15 minutes ago, wcreek said:

lol Im in Minnesota and my mom has summer tires on her front set and all season on her rear set and she's not had any issues this winter yet and don't think she will considering that it's almost March. The worst of our Winter season has pretty much come and gone. Might get some more snow in the next month or so but not really any worse than what we couldve gotten last month or late december

Winter tires will give you much better stopping power.

And the additional cost is almost negligible, since your regular tires will just last longer anyway, and if your winters are short, your winter tires will last like 10 years.

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And the additional cost is almost negligible, since your regular tires will just last longer anyway, and if your winters are short, your winter tires will last like 10 years.

Just don't go fast and then you don't have to worry about not having stopping power

32 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Having different types of tires on the front than the rear is arguably worse than having them equal all the way around. Changes the driving dynamics of the car. For example, having winter tires on the front and summers on the rear of a FWD car will make it over steer (fish tail) everywhere since the rear tires would lose traction first. Which is in contrast to a FWD car's normal behavior. Not what your average driver is going to be expecting.

I live in the South, but still insist on owning a separate set of winter wheels and tires for my cars. It really does make that much of a difference when it comes to vehicle control-ability. Think I paid about $650 for wheels and tires. Assuming a 5 year lifespan of the tires, $130/year is a small price to pay for the added safety.

6 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

Having different types of tires on the front than the rear is arguably worse than having them equal all the way around. Changes the driving dynamics of the car. For example, having winter tires on the front and summers on the rear of a FWD car will make it over steer (fish tail) everywhere since the rear tires would lose traction first. Which is in contrast to a FWD car's normal behavior. Not what your average driver is going to be expecting.

I live in the South, but still insist on owning a separate set of winter wheels and tires for my cars. It really does make that much of a difference when it comes to vehicle control-ability. Think I paid about $650 for wheels and tires. Assuming a 5 year lifespan of the tires, $130/year is a small price to pay for the added safety.

eh she'll get a full set of all seasons when the back ones are ready to go. she just got summer tires because her alignment was a bit funky and the front tires were wearing unevenly.

I'm gonna eventually move down to north Alabama hopefully next year where all seasons are good enough. Virginia isn't that incredibly south.

Just now, wcreek said:

eh she'll get a full set of all seasons when the back ones are ready to go. she just got summer tires because her alignment was a bit funky and the front tires were wearing unevenly.

I'm gonna eventually move down to north Alabama hopefully next year where all seasons are good enough. Virginia isn't that incredibly south.

Honestly FWD with All seasons is enough here but a winter set wouldn't hurt.

47 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Sure it is. The "Southern United States" extends all the way up to Maryland. Richmond was even the capital of the Confederate States during the Civil War. The climate is certainly consistent as well. Especially where I am; about 20 mins North of North Carolina.

On 12/02/2018 at 2:11 PM, mr moose said:

I might be biased with usual mechanics BS, but I've repeatedly been told to stay away from European designed cars after their warranty expires when not in Europe (usually the cost to repair is unjustifiably high).   Mazda's and toyota's have never had a bad word said about them in regard to reliability or cost of repair.

I'd go with miata on that.

Don't go for the euro cars because they use allen keys (hex screws) and torx for so much >:(. I own a peugeot and its pretty rediculous, but its a nice car all the same, but there will be some long nights ahead.

Second for the Miata, they are solid cars with good performance and much easier to maintain. Euro cars can be cheap in places (Like NZ) because they cost so much and the insurance is higher. I got my 407 2.0 HDI for 5k NZD, but its not worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Never owned Winter tires, Probably never will. Tires are too expensive in the first place. No way I could afford to buy two sets. 

I vote Miata. I totally want to add the NA to my stable as the new DD. Mmmmm...beautiful red paint, manual transmission...

My first car was a 2001 Kia Rio. The thing had a non-op cooling fan (it was cooled by the water pump and driving fast), doors that locked themselves at free will, and an electrical system that's best described as "could be worse". I loved every second of that car. I sold it to CarMax for only $300 less than I paid for it despite it being in much worse condition than I purchased it in.

I still have all of my subsequent cars...every generation of the smart fortwo. Life actually isn't that hard with a two-seat car. Few people will ask you to be a DD, no worries about distracting backseat shenanigans, and if you occasionally happen to need more space, nothing a towing hitch can't fix.

Disclaimer: Don't take the advice from someone hoarding smart cars. :D

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)