Which is better for first car?

Darren319

So I'm gonna be getting my first car soon... I'm pretty set on the 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante, or should I get sonething like a 2016 McLaren 675LT?

But for real though. Which is better for a first car? 2004/5 Audi A4 AWD or an NA Miata? I feel like I could use the extra space in the audi but I love the miata.

Edit: Or does somebody know about a manual 4-door convertable that is cheap like an a4? I like the convertibles but I'm not sure about 2 doors

I would say the McLaren 675LT or 570s haha.

But in all seriousness, the Audi would probably be a better choice IMO, but both will probably be expensive and a pain in the ass to fix if something goes wrong.

8 minutes ago, brodskyb said:

But in all seriousness, the Audi would probably be a better choice IMO, but both will probably be expensive and a pain in the ass to fix if something goes wrong.

From what I see Audi A4 goes for under 10k for an 04/05... and an NA Miata is even cheaper, plus cheap to fix.

Wanna know a secret? the miata (what we call the MX-5 in England) all those are still on the road because the engine is solid and well It's rear wheel drive with a light mass so.....

(practice developing skills somewhere safe, learn how to actually drive an out of control vehicle rather then being surprised one day years after you learn)

It's cheaper to run/fix.and it's not 'just another audi' on the road.

The miata will be more fun.

3 hours ago, Darren319 said:

But for real though. Which is better for a first car? 2004/5 Audi A4 AWD or an NA Miata? I feel like I could use the extra space in the audi but I love the miata.

I would say neither, but for your needs the audi awd!

I might be biased with usual mechanics BS, but I've repeatedly been told to stay away from European designed cars after their warranty expires when not in Europe (usually the cost to repair is unjustifiably high).   Mazda's and toyota's have never had a bad word said about them in regard to reliability or cost of repair.

I'd go with miata on that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, Darren319 said:

4-door convertable

No, just... no. Convertibles should be 2 doors, no more. Backseats are fine, mine has one. But only 2 doors.

Really between those two it depends on where you live and how you drive. Convertibles are loads of fun, but if you live somewhere its not nice out very often, they arent practical with the extra maintenance. Also AWD is a huge bonus, but if you arent around snow its not as important.

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Can't really answer without knowing more about your habits and needs in terms of weather, etc...

Audi will be beneficial in northern climates, and will be slightly more practical, but is fairly costly in terms of repairs. If you're unlikely to ever see snow, and don't need something that has the ability to transport more things or people, then I'd go with the Miata. 

Personally, I'd go Japanese over German/European in most situations.

I'd go with the Miata, it'd be way more fun. (Especially if you mod it ;))

*cough cough* ls swap *cough cough*

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

43 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

No, just... no. Convertibles should be 2 doors, no more. Backseats are fine, mine has one. But only 2 doors.

The only reason I was asking about 4 door convertibles was due to insurance costs being higher on 2 doors in the US. Especially for a first car

Get the NA Miata, easier on the pocket.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

5 hours ago, Darren319 said:

From what I see Audi A4 goes for under 10k for an 04/05... and an NA Miata is even cheaper, plus cheap to fix.

10k for your first car. Damn. I though I spent big with 6k for my 3rd car. The only advice I can give, is buy a car for the season your experience. For example I have a 2006 Ford Focus (the one I spent 6k on), its a piece of dog shit in the snow. An absolute pile a cow turds. I hate every winter. So if you live in an area that can get snow fall, make sure you have a car that can drive in it. 

Also my dad has a 07 Camry which he is the only owner of and its been a great car. He just had to replace the struts and hes had the car since 07, so I think that was the most major thing that he has done on it, rock solid. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

24 minutes ago, Darren319 said:

The only reason I was asking about 4 door convertibles was due to insurance costs being higher on 2 doors in the US. Especially for a first car

ha, I remember back in the 80's we used to call it a 2 door sedan because sometimes you got cheaper insurance and stamp duty at the road office.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Darren319 said:

So I'm gonna be getting my first car soon... I'm pretty set on the 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante, or should I get sonething like a 2016 McLaren 675LT?

Edit: Or does somebody know about a manual 4-door convertable that is cheap like an a4? I like the convertibles but I'm not sure about 2 doors

What's your budget?

How much space do you need? What kind of weather will you be driving in (keep in mind year round weather such as snow/rain)? Do you have a reliable job? Are you a student? Are you paying for it yourself?

To be frank, neither an A4, nor a Miata, sound like a good first car. The A4 (non-convertible) would be a better one, but you'll be paying a premium based on the fact that it's an Audi.

Getting a convertible specifically will mean reduced overall carrying capacity, due to the convertible mechanisms. It will also mean the car is significantly less safe in the event that you roll it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Of those two, Miata.

Early 2000s Audis are horrible on maintenance. The B5 generation is truly abysmal. Great cars when they work, which is never.

Your first car should be something boring and reliable (civic, camry, etc). Buy the fun car after college.

Neither. Audi will break down all the time and cost a fortune to repair (the old ones from 04/05 are doozies... I'm looking at you Audi all-road). It will also likely cost a lot to insure. The Mazda will only be able to drive you... it has no utility other than A to B with one other person tops and pray the weather is nice. Trust me, having a car that's utilitarian is VERY useful.

Find a used Toyota Yaris. Maybe I'm biased since I own one, but it is surprisingly capable. 

They have a surprisingly large amounts of storage space since the rear seats fold flat, they fit 4 comfortably and 5 without any real issues at all, you're not gonna kill yourself in it (because it's not fast enough to... I've never gone much past 100 mph and I've tried really hard), they're cheap as all get-out to buy (this car should be relatively inexpensive anywhere, but they're freakin' bargains in the southern states in the US), they're almost unbelievably reliable, I can drive it up mountains on snow covered roads with no problems, I've taken it off road averaging between 30-50 mph on dirt/rock trails with large rocks I had to swerve around and it handled like a champ, the brakes are powerful, they get great mileage, they're cheap to insure... the list goes on and on. It has a manual handbrake as well... for reasons... that happen to be fun.

Also, lets face it, most first cars end up totaled. If you crash it you don't lose much but sentimental value because although Yarises look odd at first and may seem a little slow, they grow on you.

Here's an IIHS crash test:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/yaris-4-door-hatchback/2016

My mom has a fully loaded Honda CRV and said if she was looking at cars again she'd buy my Yaris in a heart beat and that she's sad she didn't consider it at first.

P.S. - Believe it or not lots of girls seem to like this car. I know everyone is different, but I'm often told that it's a cute car :P 

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

9 hours ago, brodskyb said:

An NA Miata will probably be easier to fix if you are willing to get your hands dirty. And since the Miata has always been a very popular vehicle in the customization world, after market parts are everywhere. The Miata is a much simpler car as well so less things that tend to go horribly wrong. Electronics are a major issue with cars these days. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What's your budget?

How much space do you need? What kind of weather will you be driving in (keep in mind year round weather such as snow/rain)? Are you a student? Are you paying for it yourself?

I don't want to go above 7 USD

I don't really know how much space I need, if I got the miata then I could put up with little space, but otherwise I'd like a little more. I live in pennsylvania so out winters can get bad every few years. I am in high school. I would be paying myself.

Miata's are really cool and fun to drive... but from everything I have heard they are expensive to get repaired...

i dont own one. this is only what i have heard so i could be wrong

i have driven one though... lots of fun

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

3 hours ago, Darren319 said:

I don't really know how much space I need, if I got the miata then I could put up with little space, but otherwise I'd like a little more. I live in pennsylvania so out winters can get bad every few years. I am in high school. I would be paying myself.

With this in mind, I'd suggest you drop both suggestions completely, and look at a more practical, utilitarian car.

Yeah it won't be as "cool", but you shouldn't be buying your first car because other people will think it's cool. Your first car should fulfill the needs you have.

Look at: Honda Civic, Toyota Camry/Corolla, Mazda 3, Ford Focus, VW Jetta or Golf, etc. You'll get a much newer (and lower KM) car out of these models, for $7K, vs an Audi, and they'll be 100% more useful than a Miata.

You can get plenty of these cars in a sportier version, if that's something you really really value.

Also, please god buy real snow tires - not all season, 3 season, etc. Even if you have a light winter year, snow tires are extremely important, as regular all season tires start to lose grip at low temperatures, even if there's no snow.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How is your first car SO expensive lel

anyway I would personally get a 2018 Huracan 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

An old Camry or Civic. Something cheap enough that you can rrplace it easily if you wreck it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Darren319 said:

Are you guys required to carry car insurance? If so, you might contact your agent about what vehicles you looking at, this way they can give you a quote on insurance. Keep in mind that insurance will be insane for you, because your soo young. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The NA Miata is a fun car, but I wouldn't get one as a first car. 

If you do get one, be extra careful in the rain, especially on highways.  On rainy days it really can use some extra weight in the rear.

Miata is a fun car. Audi is a well built car. But for 7 k USD I would actually not rule out a Dodge Dart. The 2013 models can be picked up for around 7 k and they are well built with nice options. Plus pretty cheap to insure. I myself drive a 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye with the 1.4 turbo engine and a 6 speed manual transmission. I have had zero issues with it and now have 190k miles on it. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop