How come we only have 3 CPU/GPU brands?

iiNNeX

Have you ever wondered how come nobody else has come up with a CPU or a GPU other than Nvidia, intel and AMD? (rip ATI)

Do you think they are too far ahead for anyone to catch up? Or perhaps something else limiting Startups? Potentially might be too expensive to get into...

Let's see your thoughts.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

It’s mainly who actually gets to use the x86 architecture (which, AFAIK is Intel, AMD, and VIA). Other people can’t legally build an x86 cpu as Intel holds the copyright for it and isn’t likely to license it out to any more people.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Short answer: making chips is hard AF.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

CPU wise, there are more than just Intel and AMD. Qualcom and Samsung come to mind, but they're more focussed on the mobile markets.

Back in the day, there used to be loads for both products, but they either went under or got bought by bigger companies.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

4 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Potentially might be too expensive to get into...

This plus the risk of dumping all the money with a potential for 0 return if it flops. Nobody wants to lose money. If someone has the startup cash for something like this, they are probably better off investing that money in a different market.

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

It’s mainly who actually gets to use the c86 architecture (which, AFAIK is Intel, AMD, and VIA). Other people can’t legally build an x86 cpu as Intel holds the copyright for it and isn’t likely to license it out to any more people.

Actually amd has the copyright for it. If you look even in your intel 64 bit computer there is a folder called AMD64, not Intel64.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

This plus the risk of dumping all the money with a potential for 0 return if it flops. Nobody wants to lose money. If someone has the startup cash for something like this, they are probably better off investing that money in a different market.

That is true but so many years without competition for those 3 is just... crazy to me. Look at the phone market, went from like 40 brands to more like 10 now, but even then they are competitive af and new brands do pop up here and there.

4 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Actually amd has the copyright for it. If you look even in your intel 64 bit computer there is a folder called AMD64, not Intel64.

They both do, amd64 is an extension of the architecture Intel first developed in the 1970s and later licenced to AMD.

7 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

That is true but so many years without competition for those 3 is just... crazy to me. Look at the phone market, went from like 40 brands to more like 10 now, but even then they are competitive af and new brands do pop up here and there.

Doesn't mean they're all profitable. IIRC only Samsung and apple are profitable and Samsung is just barely so.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

12 minutes ago, Wauthar said:

CPU wise, there are more than just Intel and AMD. Qualcom and Samsung come to mind, but they're more focussed on the mobile markets.

Back in the day, there used to be loads for both products, but they either went under or got bought by bigger companies.

Well, there is also Apple and ARM.

14 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

It’s mainly who actually gets to use the c86 architecture (which, AFAIK is Intel, AMD, and VIA). Other people can’t legally build an x86 cpu as Intel holds the copyright for it and isn’t likely to license it out to any more people.

Yay monopolies.

Maybe Via will actually start making chips and we can get more competition

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

2 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Well, there is also Apple and ARM.

I'm guessing they mean consumer desktop. Since on mobile there's a fair number of competitors and in server there's IBM and now Qualcomm

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

I'm guessing they mean consumer desktop. Since on mobile there's a fair number of competitors and in server there's IBM and now Qualcomm

Qualcomm has also been getting into the laptop space.

Just now, Thermosman said:

Yay monopolies.

They made a partnership with a Chinese company to make chips IIRC. I think it was Zhaoxing. The chips so far are pretty crap though: TSMC 28nm based, at max 8c 8t at 2 ghz with bulldozer level ipc.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Qualcomm has also been getting into the laptop space.

Consumer desktop not consumer laptop :P. Though that is true, I did kind of forget about them.

At the same time though, their performance isn't quite at amd/intel level yet.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm waiting for Qualcomm ARM desktop chips - they've already got Windows working so it's only a matter of time.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, DocSwag said:

They made a partnership with a Chinese company to make chips IIRC. I think it was Zhaoxing. The chips so far are pretty crap though: TSMC 28nm based, at max 8c 8t at 2 ghz with bulldozer level ipc.

Dont think they have released yet

https://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/processors/

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Well that is a start at least, competition is healthy for us consumers.

6 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Dont think they have released yet

https://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/processors/

http://en.zhaoxin.com/solution.aspx?id=3

6 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Well that is a start at least, competition is healthy for us consumers.

They still aren't that close though. They also have affiliations with the Chinese government iirc. So I'm not sure how happy the US government would be about it.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. Patent hoarding
  2. Large entry costs, fixed costs
  3. I guess I could have said just "huge barriers to entry" and call it a day, but who'd want a 1-item list?

Basically, it costs a lot of money to do the research and development, and even then you have to contend with patents, especially if you want it to be compatible with existing software.

Intel and AMD have a lot of cross-licensing agreements in place so that both companies can use each other's innovations to ensure compatibility. The same sort of situation exists in the mobile market, with most chip designers like Apple and Qualcomm licensing ARM's architecture and  modifying it.

4 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

1. I didn’t say anything about x86-64 or amd64.

2. x86-64/amd64 is an extension to x86, which intel owns. Therefore intel has the copyright for x86 and amd has the copyright for the extension of x86, amd64.

4 hours ago, Thermosman said:

Yay monopolies.

Not really sure how three competing companies in an industry is a monopoly.

Via does make chips.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.