why are Pool tables SO EXPENSIVE WTF?>?

WolfLoverPro

i mean im thinking of just bloody getting some tables and putting them together to make my own pool table i mean ffs ? even if its $100 i might buy it but wtf? seriously i can go buy some tables or wood and make my own whats going on here? why so expensive for one ? just need a rectangle with holes jeez

Most pool tables use a slate top, which adds a ton of cost over a simple wood table. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Lots of craftsmanship goes into a quality table. Not even factoring in the aesthetic grooving and designs that are a commonplace in mid to high end tables, there are still elements of the design that have to be perfect. I'm not sure what the material is under the felt whether it's a single piece of wood or slate, but that has to be perfectly planed down flat, free of rises and dips. So just making a table to satisfy those tolerances will make it expensive. You could get plywood, some 2x4's, some bumpers, and green felt and make one yourself and see how much effort goes into a quality table.

Cost of manufacture. Pool tables require precise machining to have a usable surface.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Cost of manufacture. Pool tables require precise machining to have a usable surface.

aint that same as s desk? but u can buy a desk for cheap

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Most pool tables use a slate top, which adds a ton of cost over a simple wood table. 

but then why not use plastic or wood? i mean for cheap people like me that is LOL

1 minute ago, WolfLoverPro said:

but then why not use plastic or wood? i mean for cheap people like me that is LOL

They make cheap pool tables. But plastic/wood isn't what you want for a good pool table.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

They make cheap pool tables. But plastic/wood isn't what you want for a good pool table.

well i dont really care .. really i just want to get good at home to beat people at the bar xD but like i dont care as long as its well// right size as a bar one and works really but i search ebay there all OVER LIKE 500 wtf

36 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

No, because a desk isn't affected by subtle valleys and hills.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

A desk isn't planed down to precise tolerances, and is merely made "flat". You get want you pay for. If you buy a cheap pool table, after a few months or years of play, you will notice high and low spots in the felt, and that's where the lack of quality comes in.

They are large, requiring a lot of materials, all of which needing to be precisely tuned to achieve a completely flat and level surface, so even a table that doesn't look fancy takes a lot of work.  And it's not just about building it - they need to be setup correctly too.  It's not something you can just unload as a kit of parts like an IKEA chair and assemble yourself.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

ITT: Someone has to be educated about how a billiard table is not just an Ikea desk covered in felt. 

o.O

You've obviously never played pool on a shitty billiards table.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

well i dont really care .. really i just want to get good at home to beat people at the bar xD but like i dont care as long as its well// right size as a bar one and works really but i search ebay there all OVER LIKE 500 wtf

You're not gonna get good on a shitty table, because the subpar quality will affect your shots, etc.

Don't want to pay? Sure just try to build one yourself.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How (some) billiard's tables are constructed:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Pool-Table.html

As you can see, they're not simple.  Even if you go cheap on the materials, there is still a lot of work that goes into it.

If you want to build one yourself, there is help:

I can't watch the video where I am (so I don't know how appropriate it is), but a google search shows this is not a new idea if you want to try it.  Just don't expect a "good" effort to be simple or even cheap...

4 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Just ask around or find one on craigslist or at a garage sale

You're old enough to go to the bar?! Judging by your threads I always figured you were 12.

My mind is legitimately blown.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

i mean im thinking of just bloody getting some tables and putting them together to make my own pool table i mean ffs ? even if its $100 i might buy it but wtf? seriously i can go buy some tables or wood and make my own whats going on here? why so expensive for one ? just need a rectangle with holes jeez

First off, it's not just a piece of plywood with some sticks for legs and some cups taped to the end.

Pool tables are very complicated, and the nicer ones are very fine handmade works of craftmanship.

First, you have the table itself. It's actually more of a very sturdy box frame with a very finely surfaced piece of slate on top. Then you have the cushions, these are pieces of foam/rubber mix that are crafting to a very exacting and consistent shape. After doing all of that, you cover the slate and cushions in felt, which is very tedious because there cannot be any wrinkles at all.

Then, you have the extraneous parts. Sure, Red Solo cups would work as pockets, but that looks pretty tacky, so you're probably going to have some nice leather work. Then, you could just stand the thing up on some pine 2x4's, but again, we put all that work into the table top and the leather pockets, so we're going to have to design and hand craft something that looks nice to go along with it. These designs for the aesthetic woodwork often have inlay, sometimes inlay is placed at very exact places because they serve as markers or guidelines.

And before you know it, you have something which is a fine, handmade, work of art.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

You're old enough to go to the bar?! Judging by your threads I always figured you were 12.

My mind is legitimately blown.

Well a bloody pub then 

4 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Well a bloody pub then 

They're basically the same thing. 

You're only solidifying my point. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They're basically the same thing. 

You're only solidifying my point. 

To be fair, I believe the legal age for drinking in the UK (where I think the OP is from) is something like 16.

Some 16 year old's act (and look) 12.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To be fair, I believe the legal age for drinking in the UK (where I think the OP is from) is something like 16.

Some 16 year old's act (and look) 12.

It's still 18 in the UK. You can drink with family at home, much like many US states. If helicopter gunship is older than 18...i just can't imagine. :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Plus the set of places you can't enter is quite small in some countries. While selling you drinks requires an ID check (whether they perform it or not :P), just being in the place and drink non-alcoholic beverages or, I don't know, play pool, is perfectly legal.

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's still 18 in the UK. You can drink with family at home, much like many US states. If helicopter gunship is older than 18...i just can't imagine. :P

Hey he wouldn't be the first legal adult to act like a tween xD

21 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Plus the set of places you can't enter is quite small in some countries. While selling you drinks requires an ID check (whether they perform it or not :P), just being in the place and drink non-alcoholic beverages or, I don't know, play pool, is perfectly legal.

Depends on the country (and type of establishment). Here in Ontario, a "real" bar, or a club, limits people to 19+ (legal drinking age).

But you can go to a Sports Bar or a Pub (same thing, really), and anyone can go inside. They'll ID you only if you order alcohol. Basically most popular "chain" restaurants here are Sports Bars.