Gaming RIG upgrade. i5 4670k going to ryzen 1600x? good or bad.

Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,
1 minute ago, Snizer11 said:

Well my bad. I didn't mention it in the first place. But thanks for helping. So the best option is wait for ryzen 2.

Yeah, or wait for 10nm Ice Lake CPUs but they're due 2019 I believe, same with Ryzen 2. It's Ryzen+ (current Ryzen refresh with hopefully higher clock speeds) that is going to be out near the end of Q1 2018 according to AMD

hi guys, i am wondering if it is a worth a platform upgrade for gaming. Currently I have a i5 4670k in my gaming rig. I'm planning to switch platform and upgrade to ryzen 5 1600x. Is it a good upgrade? since i will sell my current motherboard,processor and ram and buy a new one. TIA for any comments and suggestions.

For gaming the performance will be a little bit better with the 1600X, but unless your GPU is a GTX 1070 or faster, you shouldn't notice a difference atm.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

i'd wait, ryzen 2 is coming out this April which is just around the corner at this point, i'd wait if i were you

2 minutes ago, Snizer11 said:

hi guys, i am wondering if it is a worth a platform upgrade for gaming. Currently I have a i5 4670k in my gaming rig. I'm planning to switch platform and upgrade to ryzen 5 1600x. Is it a good upgrade? since i will sell my current motherboard,processor and ram and buy a new one. TIA for any comments and suggestions.

for gaming i would say no. The single core performance of 4th and 5th generation intel is about the same as ryzen. Also since ram is so expencive maybe wait until intel releases a cpu that isn't susceptible to meltdown/spectre and see then...

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

For gaming the performance will be a little bit better with the 1600X, but unless your GPU is a GTX 1070 or faster, you shouldn't notice a difference atm.

well i am using a gtx 1070 founders edition with AIO and I'm gaming in 1080 and 1440p. so no huge performance difference?

11 minutes ago, Snizer11 said:

Should try and wait for Ryzen 2 unless you really need to get an R7 1700 right now for some streaming.

Also DDR4 pricing sucks

If you're gaming at 60hz your CPU should be fine for the most part

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

No, minimal difference in gaming performance, games that effectively use lots of cores will be the main improvement, but with ram prices being crazy and ryzen+ around the corner with claims from AMD that it sorts out ram compatibility and overclocking potential, I'd say it's a good time to hold off and wait for pricing to normalize

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Should try and wait for Ryzen 2 unless you really need to get an R7 1700 right now for some streaming.

Also DDR4 pricing sucks

If you're gaming at 60hz your CPU should be fine for the most part

I agree, the RAM pricing is not good in our place. too much expensive. maybe i will wait then.

4 minutes ago, Snizer11 said:

well i am using a gtx 1070 founders edition with AIO and I'm gaming in 1080 and 1440p. so no huge performance difference?

im using a 1080ti with my 4690k and i very rarely notice bottlenecking

Edit: At 1440p

video editing and anything close to that category, yes. For gaming no, you still got a few more years out of it.

The geek himself.

Just now, Snizer11 said:

I agree, the RAM pricing is not good in our place. too much expensive. maybe i will wait then.

Ryzen 2 is out in april, hopefully it's hitting about 4.5ghz, there's also going to be new X470 motherboards, at least one of which finally has real VRM heatsinks for overclocking

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Leonius said:

im using a 1080ti with my 4690k and i very rarely notice bottlenecking

Edit: At 1440p

Your CPU is likely pegged to 100% while gaming, it's still fine for 60hz though

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

No, minimal difference in gaming performance, games that effectively use lots of cores will be the main improvement, but with ram prices being crazy and ryzen+ around the corner with claims from AMD that it sorts out ram compatibility and overclocking potential, I'd say it's a good time to hold off and wait for pricing to normalize

Yeah, I notice when I'M playing Watchdogs 2 and Ghost Recon Wildlands there is a sudden fps drop in some location in the game where there lots of npc. And when i check the MSI afterburner OSD, all of 4 cores in my processor is maxed out to 100% usage.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Your CPU is likely pegged to 100% while gaming, it's still fine for 60hz though

in stuff like gta yah its at 90-100%, but it feels fine, no stutter and 1080ti like fps. But yah i have a 60 hz monitor anyways.

4 minutes ago, Snizer11 said:

Yeah, I notice when I'M playing Watchdogs 2 and Ghost Recon Wildlands there is a sudden fps drop in some location in the game where there lots of npc. And when i check the MSI afterburner OSD, all of 4 cores in my processor is maxed out to 100% usage.

In general those are just less than well optimized games, rather than your CPU being the issue, sort of

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Snizer11 said:

It shouldn't bee too bad at 1440p, though it really depends on the game. Try playing BF1 maxed out at 1080p, you'll suffer terribly from a CPU bottleneck in multiplayer maps ;)

There's also stuttering that quad-core i5s have with faster GPUs, they're just not-good-enough.

That being said, I'd honestly wait. While an R5 1600 is a much more capable CPU and doesn't hold back higher-end GPUs, with current memory prices you can just as well wait for next CPU gens. Ryzen+ is just around the corner (end of Q1 2018) so it might be a good idea to wait a little.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

hardly any improvement, and nowhere near enough of one to justify the platform upgrade cost

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

In general those are just less than well optimized games, rather than your CPU being the issue, sort of

Ok i get it, so the pc is not the problem. I also watch the video link and learn something. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It shouldn't bee too bad at 1440p, though it really depends on the game. Try playing BF1 maxed out at 1080p, you'll suffer terribly from a CPU bottleneck in multiplayer maps ;)

There's also stuttering that quad-core i5s have with faster GPUs, they're just not-good-enough.

That being said, I'd honestly wait. While an R5 1600 is a much more capable CPU and doesn't hold back higher-end GPUs, with current memory prices you can just as well wait for next CPU gens. Ryzen+ is just around the corner (end of Q1 2018) so it might be a good idea to wait a little.

Alright then. Thanks man. How about my RAM, is this might cause a bottleneck in games? currently I'm using a Gskill ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz dual channel kit.

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Ryzen 2 is out in april, hopefully it's hitting about 4.5ghz, there's also going to be new X470 motherboards, at least one of which finally has real VRM heatsinks for overclocking

Thanks. Hopefully the prices in this will be good too so i will upgrade to it if benchmark results will be good.

1 minute ago, Snizer11 said:

Alright then. Thanks man. How about my RAM, is this might cause a bottleneck in games? currently I'm using a Gskill ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz dual channel kit.

Overclocking your RAM definitely should lift some CPU bottleneck effects, when the CPU is pegged at 100% in games, overclocking RAM yields the best results so I'd give that a shot if your motherboard allows it.

As for the capacity... 8 gigs is not enough for me personally, not for my desktop rig anyway (fine for my work laptop though). But you it should suffice until next CPU gens launch or DDR4 prices drop, I wouldn't buy more DDR3 now to be fair ^_^

16 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Overclocking your RAM definitely should lift some CPU bottleneck effects, when the CPU is pegged at 100% in games, overclocking RAM yields the best results so I'd give that a shot if your motherboard allows it.

As for the capacity... 8 gigs is not enough for me personally, not for my desktop rig anyway (fine for my work laptop though). But you it should suffice until next CPU gens launch or DDR4 prices drop, I wouldn't buy more DDR3 now to be fair ^_^

Well tha'ts good news. But i search about overclocking Ram in my board and its not good news for me though. I found a thread in this forum in overclocking B85m gamer boards and due to the chipset limitation, overclocking my processor and ram can't be done. :(

8 minutes ago, Snizer11 said:

Well tha'ts good news. But i search about overclocking Ram in my board and its not good news for me though. I found a thread in this forum in overclocking B85m gamer boards and due to the chipset limitation, overclocking my processor and ram can't be done. :(

I wouldn't worry about DDR3 overclocking anyways

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I wouldn't worry about DDR3 overclocking anyways

Can you give me some link about overclocking RAM guide? TIA