My dad keeps telling me buying a windows key off ebay is a scam...

AtomicWaveBlast

So you know how everyone will get windows media creation tool then a key off of ebay for like $6-7 or so well my father keeps telling me its a scam (which its not) so what am I supposed to say because he is so closed minded and he keeps saying its a scam whenever I say its not

1 minute ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

How? 

Windows 10 costs $100 per license from Microsoft. One way I can see a key being so cheap is that they steal them in bulk, thus allowing each key to be so cheap. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

if you have a student email account active you can most probably just get a free copy of windows through your college / university 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

explain to him Windows Keys aren't locked to a specific country and Windows doesn't cost the same in every country so it's possible to get Windows Cheaper because you can buy a key that was sold in one of those countries where a copy of Windows at US prices would be a months salary for the average person in that country.

also you don't need to ever actually buy a key for Windows 10, it never stops working, just gets a watermark and a few greyed out menus.

5 minutes ago, mok said:

if you have a student email account active you can most probably just get a free copy of windows through your college / university 

This.

I was able to get a Windows 7 Ultimate key + Microsoft Office 2013 from my college when I was enrolled because it was a necessity. (Office, not Windows)

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

These are often taken from commercial customers.  Case in point, my company buys anywhere from 3,500 - 10,000 PCs at a time, and once we bought over 35,000.  They all will ship with a distinct Windows key.  We then mass-image the PCs with our bulk licensing.  This leaves the original key essentially unused.

Some people pull these and resell them on eBay.  Microsoft considers these to be pirated (and this is why eBay requires sellers to include a physical label form the PC case), but they still function perfectly well and are supported by Microsoft.  Popular theory is that even Microsoft can't tell that this is where you might get your key.

YMMV.

I don't know if I can share "illegal ways to activate Windows" but was able to activate my Windows 10 through Skype... so, GG

Because it is a scam.

Legit keys will cost you about $100 US Dollars for the Home version 199 for the Pro version.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:
  • <snip>

not piracy, this is a well known fact, Microsoft NEVER disables an unactivated windows install on windows 10 like they used to with Windows 7, I'm NOT discussing PIRACY, PIRACY is CIRCUMVENTING the activation using software modifications, I'm simply taking advantage of how microsoft has Windows 10 setup.

Windows 10 is effectively "freeware" anyone can get a copy via the Media Creation Tool DIRECTLY FROM MICROSOFT and install it on there computer, you just have to pay to unlock certain features and if you don't pay those features remain locked, Piracy would be using software to activate the windows install without paying for the key

Edited by SansVarnic

People who say it's a scam or illegal have no clue.  One person hit the nail on the hand.  Many enterprise companies don't use the keys on the PCs they receive due to EULA licensing agreement.  But Dell/HP and so on have to sell you a KEY with the machine if you plan to install your own copy of windows.  It's part of Microsofts agreement sadly with resellers.  We don't obviously sell our keys that come on the machines, but we use our own EULA agreement and image them with Windows 10 Enterprise.

11 minutes ago, BigCountryGeek said:

People who say it's a scam or illegal have no clue.  One person hit the nail on the hand.  Many enterprise companies don't use the keys on the PCs they receive due to ELA licensing agreement.  But Dell/HP and so on have to sell you a KEY with the machine if you plan to install your own copy of windows.  It's part of Microsofts agreement sadly with resellers.  We don't obviously sell our keys that come on the machines, but we use our own ELA agreement and image them with Windows 10 Enterprise.

well technically with the wording of the EULA it is against the terms to resell a key, it's not "illegal" like the cops will come and arrest you for a crime illegal but it's enough Microsoft retains the right to deactivate the copy of windows if they become aware of it.

4 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Using windows not activated is still illegal and sould not be recommended.

Finding the next game of thrones in the [...]database (google links nicley to the DMCA letters which removed these links from the search [...]) would be a way of using this. But is this right to use these informations in this way?

NO IT ISN'T, downloading a copy of a TV show without paying is completely different then not activating a Windows install.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

well technically with the wording of the EULA it is against the terms to resell a key, it's not "illegal" like the cops will come and arrest you for a crime illegal but it's enough Microsoft retains the right to deactivate the copy of windows if they become aware of it.

But the OEM keys are not part of EULA.

13 minutes ago, BigCountryGeek said:

People who say it's a scam or illegal have no clue.  One person hit the nail on the hand.  Many enterprise companies don't use the keys on the PCs they receive due to ELA licensing agreement.  But Dell/HP and so on have to sell you a KEY with the machine if you plan to install your own copy of windows.  It's part of Microsofts agreement sadly with resellers.  We don't obviously sell our keys that come on the machines, but we use our own ELA agreement and image them with Windows 10 Enterprise.

It is a scam... Let's not argue semantics.

6 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Using windows not activated is still illegal and sould not be recommended.

Finding the next game of thrones in the [...]database (google links nicley to the DMCA letters which removed these links from the search [...]) would be a way of using this. But is this right to use these informations in this way?

No it is not illegal. MS has a 30 may trial period and after that the OS locks itself down to basic functions until a key is activiated. MS has done this fully aware of the intention of past illegitimate copies being made of XP, Vista and 7.

It was done this way on purpose.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

32 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

So you know how everyone will get windows media creation tool then a key off of ebay for like $6-7 or so well my father keeps telling me its a scam (which its not) so what am I supposed to say because he is so closed minded and he keeps saying its a scam whenever I say its not

How do you know who is right? Can you prove it is not a scam any more than he can prove it is a scam?

I honestly haven't gone through the full licensing agreement but do you really think Microsoft wouldn't have a clause in to protect against such practices?

It's a lot like all the people who buy the OEM version in place of the retail version. A quick read of the terms clearly indicates they are often breaking them.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

tfw nobody realises windows automatically activates when you sign up to the Insider Program.. 

idk

25 minutes ago, Eric A. said:

I don't know if I can share "illegal ways to activate Windows" but was able to activate my Windows 10 through Skype... so, GG

You probaly had a copy of Windows linked to you microsoft account and once you signed in it activated

My life

16 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

It is a scam... Let's not argue semantics.

No it is not illegal. MS has a 30 may trial period and after that the OS locks itself down to basic functions until a key is activiated. MS has done this fully aware of the intention of past illegitimate copies being made of XP, Vista and 7.

It was done this way on purpose.

Then please enlighten us how it's a scam?  Because it isn't.

4 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

With windows 10 you pay with your data regardless if give them a little tip of $100. In the past they have took action against it. They have shutdown traders/recyler, called the EuGH and lost or forced companys to pay if the find out by control that they have not enough license. The only reason privat person are "safe" is that it is not lucrative enough.

The problem with some keys is that the key is traded without the CD.

Safe and legal are not the same thing.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

11 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

tfw nobody realises windows automatically activates when you sign up to the Insider Program..

No, That was for a limited time after they closed down the free upgrade from windows 7/8 to 10.  Then you could only get free windows 10 if you joined the windows insider program and that was only for a limited time also. . . I missed this by a month.  I am a member of the windows insider program but I do not have an activated version of windows 10.

22 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Not technically activated, the insider version is only a temp license as a reward for being part of the program, license expires in roughly a year per build.

22 minutes ago, Himommies said:

You probaly had a copy of Windows linked to you microsoft account and once you signed in it activated

Does not work that way, the insider  program is licensed differently. See above.

17 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

With windows 10 you pay with your data regardless if give them a little tip of $100. In the past they have took action against it. They have shutdown traders/recyler, called the EuGH and lost or forced companys to pay if the find out by control that they have not enough license. The only reason privat person are "safe" is that it is not lucrative enough.

The problem with some keys is that the key is traded without the CD.

Microsoft has taken legal action against private owners in the past, but as you said it's not lucrative. Illegal is still illegal.

16 minutes ago, BigCountryGeek said:

Then please enlighten us how it's a scam?  Because it isn't.

Those selling off keys on eBay or by other methods do it illegitimatly by selling either a) stolen keys reused over until caught and no longer recognized by Ms authentication server b) keys sold on grey market by those that by a OEM key and produce the separate keys they sell for $5-$50 as non-approved sellers for example Kinguin and others.

The MSRP of Win10 is $100 US for Home and $199 for Pro.

I could go into more detail but I really don't feel like typing that all out again for the umpteenth time.

7 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

No, That was for a limited time after they closed down the free upgrade from windows 7/8 to 10.  Then you could only get free windows 10 if you joined the windows insider program and that was only for a limited time also. . . I missed this by a month.  I am a member of the windows insider program but I do not have an activated version of windows 10.

Not the same thing, The free OS Upgrade Program is not the Insider program.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

After a little Google, my understanding of a Scam as applied to the cheap key can be defined as
1) You knowingly purchase a working key from an illegal source.  You are scamming Microsoft.
2) You are scammed if you purchase a stolen working key thinking it is good.
3) You are scammed by purchase a non-working key and can not get your money back.

Grey Market definition;

The grey market, also referred to as the parallel market, is a market where a product is bought and sold outside of the manufacturer's authorized trading channels. The grey market is where the unofficial trading of a company's shares, usually before they are issued in an initial public offering (IPO), happens.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Not technically activated, the insider version is only a temp license as a reward for being part of the program, license expires in roughly a year per build.

Does not work that way, the insider  program is licensed differently. See above.

Microsoft has taken legal action against private owners in the past, but as you said it's not lucrative. Illegal is still illegal.

Those selling off keys on eBay or by other methods do it illegitimatly by selling either a) stolen keys reused over until caught and no longer recognized by Ms authentication server b) keys sold on grey market by those that by a OEM key and produce the separate keys they sell for $5-$50 as non-approved sellers for example Kinguin and others.

The MSRP of Win10 is $100 US for Home and $199 for Pro.

I could go into more detail but I really don't feel like typing that all out again for the umpteenth time.

Not the same thing, The free OS Upgrade Program is not the Insider program.

You do know employee pricing on Windows 10 Pro is around $20-$25 right?  I bought 5 copies of it when I went to the Microsoft Store at Microsoft last year.  It's very possible some are legal and are reselling them that way too.