My dad keeps telling me buying a windows key off ebay is a scam...

AtomicWaveBlast
3 minutes ago, BigCountryGeek said:

You do know employee pricing on Windows 10 Pro is around $20-$25 right?  I bought 5 copies of it when I went to the Microsoft Store at Microsoft last year.  It's very possible some are legal and are reselling them that way too.

I am an that is not the point of this convesation. I don't believe the OP is an employee of a company that can offer this to him.... :|  an OP admitted they are a kid...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

not piracy, this is a well known fact, Microsoft NEVER disables an unactivated windows install on windows 10 like they used to with Windows 7, I'm NOT discussing PIRACY, PIRACY is CIRCUMVENTING the activation using software modifications, I'm simply taking advantage of how microsoft has Windows 10 setup.

Windows 10 is effectively "freeware" anyone can get a copy via the Media Creation Tool DIRECTLY FROM MICROSOFT and install it on there computer, you just have to pay to unlock certain features and if you don't pay those features remain locked, Piracy would be using software to activate the windows install without paying for the key

Indeed.

My test bench is using a non-activated version of Windows 10. It's not piracy in any way. Microsoft just allows you to do it, albeit with some functionality not available. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Not the same thing, The free OS Upgrade Program is not the Insider program.

Correct, the free os upgrade expired but after it expired you were still able to get a free copy of windows 10 if you joined the insider program.  The free windows 10 under the insider program lasted for a while longer but that program expired too.  This is why i joined the insider program only to find out that the info i was going on was old and i missed it by a month. . . that is why i have the nice watermark but am an insider member.

5 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Windows 10 costs $100 per license from Microsoft. One way I can see a key being so cheap is that they steal them in bulk, thus allowing each key to be so cheap. 

But what about just getting keys off of broken motherboards & stuff

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Because it is a scam.

Legit keys will cost you about $100 US Dollars for the Home version 199 for the Pro version.

Then why would youtubers promote buying these?

3 hours ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

But what about just getting keys off of broken motherboards & stuff

OEM codes lock to mobo. And these are OEM codes you see sold so cheap. The keys being sold are from volume packs, like said already in this thread. ToS of those keys says that they are not for resale. Making anyone selling them thief.

3 hours ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

They are paid to do so. Which is why LTT hasn't taken sponsorship from Kinguin or G2A. While both platforms are just like eBay, they don't have as strong legal binds to keep digital codes off the platform. EBay straight out doesn't allow sales of digital codes.

You really should listen to your father. He has good point behind not letting you use easy way. Who knows, maybe next time you will pirate something because it was too expensive and pirating is so easy.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

13 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

OEM codes lock to mobo. And these are OEM codes you see sold so cheap. The keys being sold are from volume packs, like said already in this thread. ToS of those keys says that they are not for resale. Making anyone selling them thief.

They are paid to do so. Which is why LTT hasn't taken sponsorship from Kinguin or G2A. While both platforms are just like eBay, they don't have as strong legal binds to keep digital codes off the platform. EBay straight out doesn't allow sales of digital codes.

You really should listen to your father. He has good point behind not letting you use easy way. Who knows, maybe next time you will pirate something because it was too expensive and pirating is so easy.

What he ^^^ said.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

21 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

so Paul of Pauls Hardware was paid by Kinguin?

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

so Paul of Pauls Hardware was paid by Kinguin?

More than likely, yes. Feel free to question he's decision of promoting shady keys. I have no respect for the guy anyway so I don't care.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't recommend it, but I do it. I have never had any issues, I have bought a windows 10 key and then an 8.1 key, I must admit I don't know if the windows 10 one still works I gave it to a mate of mine, but my windows 8.1 key is still working (Although it has only been 29 days).

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• 1 year later...

This is interesting fact: one of Microsoft employee says that is better to download cracked Windows from torrent than buying illegal, cheap keys. He is right - at least you don't give your money to thief.

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

This is interesting fact: one of Microsoft employee says that is better to download cracked Windows from torrent than buying illegal, cheap keys. He is right - at least you don't give your money to thief.

Instead you allow unknown code to run on your machine that bypasses the activation mechanism and could be doing absolutely anything without your knowledge. Spend years giving a stream of data to a thief instead :)

27 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Instead you allow unknown code to run on your machine that bypasses the activation mechanism and could be doing absolutely anything without your knowledge. Spend years giving a stream of data to a thief instead :)

You missing my point. I don't recommend piracy, I just say that if we're talking about illegal keys, the better is not to pay for people who sell them. It's not about safety of using crack.

18 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You missing my point. I don't recommend piracy, I just say that if we're talking about illegal keys, the better is not to pay for people who sell them. It's not about safety of using crack.

It's odd that an MS employee would advocate having unknown code wormed deep into the OS for any reason.

Crack is never safe ;)

34 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's odd that an MS employee would advocate having unknown code wormed deep into the OS for any reason.

Crack is never safe ;)

I already say that you missed the point. Again - it was not pro-piracy. It's just a fact that if in both cases you decided to use illegal copy, for market it is better to at least not paying for that. It's like watching pirated movies - nobody cares if you watch them (or listen pirated music), but selling pirated copy is worse. And if you buying pirated copy, someone must sell it. And if more and more people buying pirated keys, more and more thiefs will use that for illegal profit. Torrents are free, so at least nobody earn money for that. Personally if I write a song (for example) I would prefer that people download that song from torrents that if they pay for someone else for my work. For programmer is the same - if you write some program, it's must worse to know that someone get money for it (instead of you) than if someone just using cracked version. In both cases you get nothing, but at least nobody else too. And, as you see, it's not about what is more dangerous for user - it's what is better for author/company/programmer.

***Thread locked ***

This was necroed by spam bot.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv