Next Windows 10 build will show what is being sent as telemetry data

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Microsoft CEO should get some tips from Intel about insider trading soon.

I think it's time for Microsoft's board of directors to vote for a new CEO. Ever since Satya Nadella became the CEO, Microsoft's business model shifted to big data and cloud services like Azure which made Microsoft cash in a lot of profit which is good for them, shutdown Windows 10 Mobile, and probably the reason for the invasive telemetry practice of Windows 10 at the beginning because of the focus on big data.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think it's time for Microsoft's board of directors to vote for a new CEO. Ever since Satya Nadella became the CEO, Microsoft's business model shifted to big data and cloud services like Azure and probably the reason for the invasive telemetry practice of Windows 10 at the beginning.

Surely they have realised that the telemetry was a bad call? Was this not reflected in the companies stocks? I'm a big Mac fan and hate windows and everything but surely the telemetry and spying was the worst move any company could do, not to mention forcing users to upgrade.

If I was an investor I'd be asking a lot of questions. Definitely time for a new CEO.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

I'm a big Mac fan and hate windows and everything but surely the telemetry and spying was the worst move any company could do, not to mention forcing users to upgrade.

Just so you know, macOS and iOS does telemetry too only that Apple does it better than Microsoft as telemetry data is depersonalized and anonymized at the device level before it reaches Apple's servers not to mention in macOS and iOS, there's an off button for telemetry which is something Windows 10 is lacking.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Surely they have realised that the telemetry was a bad call?

I don't think so as crash data reports does help in making devices and services work well. I can see improvements from the earliest Windows 10 from 2015 which I find buggy af like start menu lag like 10 seconds of lag which persisted until the Creators Update which is now gone in FCU (at least for me) and task manager now has GPU monitor. Also, in some instances personalized telemetry is necessary. For example, I want iTunes, Spotify and Amazon to use my browsing, listening, and purchase history to suggest me new music or new products that I might like. 

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Surely they have realised that the telemetry was a bad call? Was this not reflected in the companies stocks? I'm a big Mac fan and hate windows and everything but surely the telemetry and spying was the worst move any company could do, not to mention forcing users to upgrade.

If I was an investor I'd be asking a lot of questions. Definitely time for a new CEO.

The telemetry itself wasn't a bad call, but not properly informing people and making certain parts not optional certainly was.   Whether it's moral, unethical, legitimate or just irrelevant is moot when there are enough people giving them bad PR.   The CEO will keep his job if the stock holders are making money.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

There is a difference between forced to agree, and willingly accepting it. Since MS is basically has a monopoly in the PC space many users are forced to agree to their terms because there is no other alternative to their used programs(games,  professional programs, etc). So debating if i or others accepted or not is pretty pointless when you basically have a gun pushed to your head.

True and that is an issue, but if Microsoft wants to build in to their product data collection then they can. There are legal issues they have to contend with when doing this but I am not going to say preventing companies at all from doing it is something we should do. I'm not even bringing in to it the positives or negatives around the data collection in regards to product development and quality it's just that creating specific rules about what a company can do with their product is a bad idea.

You can create indirect rules which effects their design and development choices but that isn't the same as explicitly not allowing something or forcing them to do something. It's much like the car industry and the general phasing out of V8 engines for turbo charged V6's, V8's weren't outlawed however to meet emission standards it's much easier to do that with the V6 + turbo while being able to keep the high power output.

You don't like the direction Microsoft is taking with their product, most people don't and I don't either. There are a lot of things Microsoft and the industry are doing that I don't agree with, like the big push for cloud services for everything (personally I don't like the term cloud). I give feedback to the relevant companies when I can with exact points and details about what I don't like and why or how they could change their approach that to me is better. I don't go round screaming that Microsoft is committing wide scale data theft because that is not what is happening and won't get you listened to either.

Microsoft currently has no interest in removing the data collection or allowing home users from completely turning it off, you either have to accept that or not use Windows. That's the harsh reality of matter and it may not even be realistic to switch to an alternative however I'm not trying to give a solution to this issue.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

personally I don't like the term cloud

When I first heard the term "cloud" services years ago before I paid attention to tech news, it reminds me of people getting stoned or having their high. :P

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Microsoft currently has no interest in removing the data collection or allowing home users from completely turning it off

I wonder if the enterprise and the ones Microsoft sells to government agencies has telemetry enabled? ?

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Just so you know, macOS and iOS does telemetry too only that Apple does it better than Microsoft as telemetry data is depersonalized and anonymized at the device level before it reaches Apple's servers not to mention in macOS and iOS, there's an off button for telemetry which is something Windows 10 is lacking.

I don't think so as crash data reports does help in making devices and services work well. I can see improvements from the earliest Windows 10 from 2015 which I find buggy af like start menu lag like 10 seconds of lag which persisted until the Creators Update which is now gone in FCU (at least for me) and task manager now has GPU monitor. Also, in some instances personalized telemetry is necessary. For example, I want iTunes, Spotify and Amazon to use my browsing, listening, and purchase history to suggest me new music or new products that I might like. 

They tell you right at the start if you want to send the data. I always turn it on if i'm not on the beta.

In that sense temeletry is good, but asking the user is crucial.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I wonder if the enterprise and the ones Microsoft sells to government agencies has telemetry enabled? ?

If you have a Microsoft agreement and pay for Enterprise and LTSB edition you get the security only telemetry option, that's what we set ours to. We have different firewall zones for our servers too and only the frontend zone that need internet access have it so most of our servers have no internet access at all so don't send anything because they can't.

There is likely, in fact I'm 99.99% sure there is since there is a China Government edition, a government agency build with telemetry completely removed.

11 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

When I first heard the term "cloud" services years ago before I paid attention to tech news, it reminds me of people getting stoned or having their high. :P

Many years ago my team leader at the time went to a presentation on the cloud, back when it was first starting out, and the whole time he thought the presenter was saying "Clown Computing" lol.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

We have different firewall zones for our servers too and only the frontend zone that need internet access have it so most of our servers have no internet access at all so don't send anything because they can't.

I’m guessing those servers rarely gets updated as they’re only connected locally and can’t be accessed from the internet. 

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There is likely, in fact I'm 99.99% sure there is since there is a China Government edition, a government agency build with telemetry completely removed.

That’s given already as Microsoft has given the Chinese government access to their source code decades ago. I wonder if Microsoft does the same code Inspection from Uncle Sam? 

23 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I’m guessing those servers rarely gets updated as they’re only connected locally and can’t be accessed from the internet. 

They get updated every month, WSUS server downloads the updates locally and all servers point to that server to get their updates.

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Because fixing your issue yourself turns you into a sheep? I fail to understand the logic.

Because you think that spending a whole day fixing a paid product is normal? 9_9 Sorry to burst your bubbles but this aint normal, and it shouldnt be tolerated. Yet ppl like you always come in and say "if you have time to complain why dont you fix it". Its seriously disgusting...

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

So let me get this right, sit down and do nothing but complain is the right course of action because if you go take matters on your hands and fix the issue yourself you're a sheep?

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Yet ppl like you always come in and say "if you have time to complain why dont you fix it". Its seriously disgusting...

Because fixing it yourself is disgusting to you, you want all chew up and done ready for you? I prefer being what you call "sheep" than being "pro-active" by your standards.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

So let me get this right, sit down and do nothing but complain is the right course of action because if you go take matters on your hands and fix the issue yourself you're a sheep?

Because fixing it yourself is disgusting to you, you want all chew up and done ready for you? I prefer being what you call "sheep" than being "pro-active" by your standards.

So you think i do nothing aside from complaining huh? FYI im shifting over to linux and currently im looking into pci pass-through... 9_9 Linux main OS+Win7 VM, this way i can game and have a stable main OS that do not need fixing many times a year. Have fun constantly fixing MS's junk....

Edited by jagdtigger

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

I'm perfectly satisfied with my Win 10 Pro.... so...? If you prefer a different OS that's with you, just respect other people differences.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

That’s given already as Microsoft has given the Chinese government access to their source code decades ago. I wonder if Microsoft does the same code Inspection from Uncle Sam? 

Ms has given the source code to nearly all governments (us, european, chinese, russian, etc).  As far as governments are concerned it is open source.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

So you think this is normal and we should shut-up and became sheeps like you who put up with it? 9_9 (No offense but this is how it sounds to me.)

How is doing something about rather than whining, considered being a sheep?  That's not "put(ting) up with it", that's taking action to rectify the situation.

14 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I'm a big Mac fan

What does McDonald's have to do with this? ;) 

12 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

How is doing something about rather than whining, considered being a sheep?  That's not "put(ting) up with it", that's taking action to rectify the situation.

I think many people fail to grasp there is a difference between tolerating something and be actively able to change it.   By definition doing something to mitigate the telemetry show an intolerance for it.   

6 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Look, we have to draw a line from where the effort does not worth the end result 9_9 . If you have to "hack" the OS for a full day to be somewhat usable is far into that territory by my standards, and you have to do it after every big update. Not to mention blocking their data harvesting would be a non-stop whack-a-mole game with MS...

7 hours ago, Jito463 said:

What does McDonald's have to do with this? ;) 

I have come to love Frozen Cokes a lot here in AU :)

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I have come to love Frozen Cokes a lot here in AU :)

I want to see McDonald's serve something like this but I'll probably not pay for it :P

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I want to see McDonald's serve something like this but I'll probably not pay for it :P

You can make your own burger now. Absolutely fantastic. I love a burger with pineapple in it.

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Look, we have to draw a line from where the effort does not worth the end result 9_9 . If you have to "hack" the OS for a full day to be somewhat usable is far into that territory by my standards, and you have to do it after every big update. Not to mention blocking their data harvesting would be a non-stop whack-a-mole game with MS...

I modified my Windows 10 as well, and I don't have to fix anything after updates.  The settings remain the same for me, so no; you don't have to "do it after every big update".