[UPDATE] YouTube is tightening rules of monetization further - requires 4000 hours of annual viewing & 1000 subscribers, humans will now review videos

captain_to_fire

TLDR; Big channels get more revenue in theory and small channels get nothing.

GENERIC CHANNEL NAME, Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognize we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem. LEARN MORE What's Changing Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, GENERIC CHANNEL NAME, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated. One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled.

RIP.

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

retoast

I have my own thoughts in this video. Uploaded the video quite a long time ago as well. :)

5 minutes ago, Yasthir said:

*snip*

Merged ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

This really stinks for me. I grew my subscriber base for nearly 500 this year. My channel started in 2013 but only gad 100 subs at the start of 2017 when I began to make videos. Granted I've only made a few hundred from YouTube and Amazon it helps considering how many thousands I've sank into content.

On 16/01/2018 at 10:00 PM, JDE said:

D*** move YouTube, now channels with small communities (like, bus and coin ones that I watch) don't have incentive to make videos other than "I like doing it".

Its 4000 hours of watching which means 800 views for a 5 minute video for the entire year and 1000 subscriber is nothing. People with this ridiculously small amount of subscribers and watch time probably dont make much cash with ad rev. They certainly dont make a living with it

All it means is that money saved on these channels not earning much can be used to pay youtube's debt or to relatively succesful youtubers.

Edit:my maths are awful

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Well, that sucks...

I just joined the YPP last year and at the same time, they had just implemented the 10,000 total views requirement which I just barely acquired during my application process...

Now a little under year later before I even get my first pay, YouTube puts some stricter higher end goal in effect that's gonna knock me out the program. RIP.

I'm a little under the 4,000 hours requirement (I got like 3,400). Don't have 1000 subs though... I only have like 70 I think. I was just hoping to get some $ every now and then but I guess I won't be excepting anything now or pretty much ever. Maybe someday...

2 hours ago, alphaproject said:

Dang someone just donated 10 bucks to me. :D

PayPal or Patreon?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 hours ago, Blackie Sheen said:

Its 4000 hours of watching which means 800 views for a 5 minute video for the entire year and 1000 subscriber is nothing

Your maths is off there. It’s a 5 minute video being viewed 48000 times. 800 views will only give you a total of 4000 minutes.

Also 1000 subs is by far the hard part. First 1000 is widely regarded as extremely difficult, but once you cross that threshold it starts to snowball. If they’d lowered it 500 subs I would be happy because then I would meet the requirements and keep my $2k per year ?

Updated the OP, now it will be living, breathing people will review content from popular creators

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

You need to release 12 videos a year, 4 minutes each, which gets an average of 5000 views. Increase the number of videos if you want to make them shorter, or have fewer views.

Let's be real here, the watch time is not an hindrance. If you weren't even getting that amount of views then you were not making any money anyway. You're all crying over missing out on like 10 dollars a year. If that was your only motivation for making YouTube videos then I pity you.

The 1000 subscribers is a bit more tricky but I can see why they did it.

There are a lot of channels which just uploads other peoples' videos, or copyrighted material. Those channels usually get a ton of views but no subscribers.

It's like with the Logan Paul reuploads. People took his deleted video and reuploaded them. Those channels can easily get 4000 hours viewed, but they won't gain 1000 subscribers from it.

I don't get how anyone can make the connection that Youtube is doing this to punish Logan or prevent something like it from happening again. This doesn't affect Logan or any big Youtuber at all. It makes no sense to assume that.

I don't get why people think this is about Youtube trying to save money either. People who have not reached the threshold can just disable ads on their videos (when I uploaded videos ads were turned off by default, not sure if that's still the default). If people do that then Youtube will actually LOSE money on this change.

I feel like a lot of people just jump on hate bandwagons without thinking things through. This is a pretty clear example of that happening.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You're all crying over missing out on like 10 dollars a year. If that was your only motivation for making YouTube videos then I pity you.

These also tend to be the people who put out mediocre videos instead of the ones with effort that build a base up. If you listen to anyone with a larger channel they'll all tell you the same thing. It is going to take you absolutely forever to build up your channel, but you have to do it for the community, not for the money.

10 hours ago, Dredgy said:

Your maths is off there. It’s a 5 minute video being viewed 48000 times. 800 views will only give you a total of 4000 minutes.

Also 1000 subs is by far the hard part. First 1000 is widely regarded as extremely difficult, but once you cross that threshold it starts to snowball. If they’d lowered it 500 subs I would be happy because then I would meet the requirements and keep my $2k per year ?

Wow my maths were awful there. Cant believe i said that. Just thinking about it makes me want to puke. 

The way i see it is they dont want simple hobbyist to be elligible to their monetization system.

To me, thats the same thing as categories in sports. If you are only playing casually, why should you should you or your team be sponsored by an equipment manufacturer. There is nothing to gain for the manufacturer if you are not succesful

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

21 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

These also tend to be the people who put out mediocre videos instead of the ones with effort that build a base up. If you listen to anyone with a larger channel they'll all tell you the same thing. It is going to take you absolutely forever to build up your channel, but you have to do it for the community, not for the money.

Or the nookie.. you can do it for the nookie.

On 17/01/2018 at 2:47 AM, hey_yo_ said:

"Cry me a river kid"

Only if I get to sing it like justin. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 1/17/2018 at 8:36 PM, Blackie Sheen said:

Its 4000 hours of watching which means 800 views for a 5 minute video for the entire year and 1000 subscriber is nothing.

Other than the Math issue you've already identified... YT counts a video 'view' after 30 seconds. So the numbers you see only watched at most 30 seconds. If you take that to the extreme, a yter could need 480,000 views. 

It does suck for those that are somewhat near the threshold, but as others have pointed out, the income isn't all that significant to be a real problem. Just continue your thing and you'll get there if you're doing things people enjoy.

This really helps a few issues with Youtube. As has been stated, it helps with people posting click-baity videos that aren't meant to sustain a continual audience through subscribers, or people that are uploading copyright or stolen videos.

The other thing it will do is cull all the people sapping revenue from Youtube when they're not reasonably enhancing the platform. So the people that do it as a hobby can continue with it as such, and those that see this as a discouragement probably weren't motivated enough to make their channel better anyways.

I've considered starting a channel and this new setup doesn't discourage me one bit. It just means, I have to be serious when approaching my channel's purpose, and I can't be flippant about the time and quality that I need to put in to grow it enough to meet the threshold.

I'm also affected by new youtube rules. I just remember times when youtube was wonderful place and when I was most active, there was no partner program for my country. and when I decided to start new channel along my old channel, just targeted to tech, there was already a lot of those dudes like Logan Paul, that thanks to them, small channels like mine loose that few dollars per month...

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color.