Nintendo Switch emulator revealed

matrix07012

Not to suprised, but i have to wonder why you would want to emulate a newer gen console.

The whole reason for emulating old consoles is becouse you cant get them or their games anymore.

I have used Atari 2600,NES,SNES,Mega Drive,GameBoy,Game Cube,PSX,PS2, and Wii emulators befor for that reason.

I would love to play 3DS on my PC as i find my current N3DS difficult to play for any extended length of time, which i would like to as i love the Monster Hunter series. Alass as far as im aware there is no fully functional 3DS emulators, or more precisly one that can run Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

The switch doesnt suffer from the 3DS's problem of not being able to connect to a bigger screen, so i cant see a reason, (beside being to cheap to buy one) to Emulate the Switch at this time.

Still, good to hear its being worked on for when the Switch is eventualy fazed out.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Not to suprised, but i have to wonder why you would want to emulate a newer gen console.

The whole reason for emulating old consoles is becouse you cant get them or their games anymore.

I have used Atari 2600,NES,SNES,Mega Drive,GameBoy,Game Cube,PSX,PS2, and Wii emulators befor for that reason.

I would love to play 3DS on my PC as i find my current N3DS difficult to play for any extended length of time, which i would like to as i love the Monster Hunter series. Alass as far as im aware there is no fully functional 3DS emulators, or more precisly one that can run Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

The switch doesnt suffer from the 3DS's problem of not being able to connect to a bigger screen, so i cant see a reason, (beside being to cheap to buy one) to Emulate the Switch at this time.

Still, good to hear its being worked on for when the Switch is eventualy fazed out.

Why? Because I'd rather play the way I want to. There's not a single game I'd rather have the joycons for over my steam controller, likewise I'd rather have it running on my pc instead.

6 hours ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Why? Because I'd rather play the way I want to. There's not a single game I'd rather have the joycons for over my steam controller, likewise I'd rather have it running on my pc instead.

And that's called entitlement.

What you want in life and what you get in life are normally two very different things.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

And that's called entitlement.

What you want in life and what you get in life are normally two very different things.

So wanting to emulate the console and games i bought is entitlement? Wow, you sure told me.

1 hour ago, CyanideInsanity said:

So wanting to emulate the console and games i bought is entitlement? Wow, you sure told me.

Yes it is, you're not entitled to run those games on anything other than the intended hardware, whether you bought them or not. Saying you want something you're not entitled to is the literal definition of being entitled.

Like I said earlier, I don't have an issue with emulating old hardware that's no longer on sale. Knock yourself out.

Emulating current gen systems, nope. It allows people to steal games that are currently on sale.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

38 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yes it is, you're not entitled to run those games on anything other than the intended hardware, whether you bought them or not. Saying you want something you're not entitled to is the literal definition of being entitled.

Like I said earlier, I don't have an issue with emulating old hardware that's no longer on sale. Knock yourself out.

Emulating current gen systems, nope. It allows people to steal games that are currently on sale.

do-not-think-it-means1.jpeg?w=750

On 15/01/2018 at 11:21 AM, Princess Cadence said:

Not every one is into buying a console but might still have fun with those games... I don't see why not... I particularly don't like Nintendo but amulating PS1 and PS2 on my PC allowed me to have quite the fun with my old classics.

"Not everyone is into buying a console but still might have fun with those games".

Alright then so you'd rather the developers make no money from their game sales because people are too poor to go out and buy the system its intended for.

I'm fairly certain the same crowd definitely wouldn't go out and buy the game to legally emulate it.

23 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

You buy the license to play the game, not the game itself, nothing stops you from buying the game and running it on an emulator to still support the developer.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 1/14/2018 at 7:46 PM, GoodBytes said:

So in other words, a blank window that does nothing beside run ARM standard CPU instructions and called it "Switch emulator" to try and get media attention.

How about making something more meaningful beside one of the many ARM-CPU based emulator?

When they'll get a game running to some OK level, NOW we will be talking, and now you can claim "Switch emulator".

Me too, I can show you the full source code of a emulator for Nintendo next 5 generations of consoles in the future from now:

int main() {
  while (1) {
  	sleep(100);
  }
  return 1;
}

I know I am amazing.. it doesn't do anything yet.. but it is open source, so it will eventually do something. But for now, enjoy the black window.

I think the excitement is because these guys did Citra, which is a first rate 3DS emulator.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

It'll probably run games like crap until the end of the Switch's lifetime anyways, so people will get what they pay for. I'll still buy a Switch when Shin Megami Tensei V comes out, no way I'm waiting for an emulator on that.

4 hours ago, CyanideInsanity said:

do-not-think-it-means1.jpeg?w=750

entitled
An attitude, demeanor, or air of rudeness, ingraciousness, or combativeness, especially when making excessive demands for service (usually used following the word "acted")

I think it does mean exactly what I think it means....

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I think it does mean exactly what I think it means....

Please show me where I was demanding nintendo or emulator devs entitle me to emulate the switch. All I said is why I would emulate a modern console if I had the choice. How is that rude?

1 hour ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Please show me where I was demanding nintendo or emulator devs entitle me to emulate the switch. All I said is why I would emulate a modern console if I had the choice. How is that rude?

On 16/01/2018 at 2:45 AM, CyanideInsanity said:

You have no right to play the way you want to, you want to play Switch games then you play them on the Switch as per the license agreement you agreed to upon playing the game.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You have no right to play the way you want to, you want to play Switch games then you play them on the Switch as per the license agreement you agreed to upon playing the game.

So why are you ok with emulating older games? I don't recall having all the developers and publishers giving the ok on that. I'm surprised your stance isn't "take it to the owners" to bring older games to modern machines in ways such as psone classics or nintendo's virtual console.

9 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

So why are you ok with emulating older games? I don't recall having all the developers and publishers giving the ok on that. I'm surprised your stance isn't "take it to the owners" to bring older games to modern machines in ways such as psone classics or nintendo's virtual console.

I'm OK with preserving anything that is no longer on general sale. If the owners have issues and decide to make a claim (as Nintendo did a few years ago) then sites should be removing roms.

It's a fact that a lot of developers don't really care about emulating their older products.

Emulation in general is one big grey area, it's never really been tested in a court.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm OK with preserving anything that is no longer on general sale. If the owners have issues and decide to make a claim (as Nintendo did a few years ago) then sites should be removing roms.

But whether you justify it for yourself that the game is too old and you cannot buy it anymore so you will emulate it... you are still breaking the same licence agreements as if you were emulating a new game so what is really the difference?

It is the same thing. Whether you find a justification for it or not... you still walk in the same grey area. Just let people enjoy the content at whatever platform they want and dont tell them that they should not do it and then throw your own justification for doing it in their face.

Literaly the same thing with riping BR to MKV for Plex....

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

But whether you justify it for yourself that the game is too old and you cannot buy it anymore so you will emulate it... you are still breaking the same licence agreements as if you were emulating a new game so what is really the difference?

It is the same thing. Whether you find a justification for it or not... you still walk in the same grey area. Just let people enjoy the content at whatever platform they want and dont tell them that they should not do it and then throw your own justification for doing it in their face.

Literaly the same thing with riping BR to MKV for Plex....

How exactly is emulating something you can no longer buy the same thing as emulating a game that's still on sale? Here's a hint for you, you can't agree to a license agreement for a product that is no longer on sale.

Besides which emulation of older systems plays a very important role in the preservation of old software that otherwise would be lost forever. Do you realise how many forgotten and lost games the emulation scene is responsible for uncovering, dumping and archiving, games which otherwise would have been gone forever.

I understand it seems like an arbitrary cut off point but imo it's a fair compromise, if something is no longer on general sale and the owner of the material don't object then emulation is fine. If it's current gen or even one gen old then it ceases to be emulation and becomes piracy.

Ftr I didn't tell anyone they couldn't do anything, I said demanding something you're not entitled to is being entitled. If he wants to pirate every switch game out there I'm not gonna stop him, it's nothing to do with me what anybody else does.

32 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

How exactly is emulating something you can no longer buy the same thing as emulating a game that's still on sale? Here's a hint for you, you can't agree to a license agreement for a product that is no longer on sale.

Besides which emulation of older systems plays a very important role in the preservation of old software that otherwise would be lost forever. Do you realise how many forgotten and lost games the emulation scene is responsible for uncovering, dumping and archiving, games which otherwise would have been gone forever.

I understand it seems like an arbitrary cut off point but imo it's a fair compromise, if something is no longer on general sale and the owner of the material don't object then emulation is fine. If it's current gen or even one gen old then it ceases to be emulation and becomes piracy.

Ftr I didn't tell anyone they couldn't do anything, I said demanding something you're not entitled to is being entitled. If he wants to pirate every switch game out there I'm not gonna stop him, it's nothing to do with me what anybody else does.

Again, please show me where I demanded emulation.

8 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Again, please show me where I demanded emulation.

Please show me where I said you demanded emulation.

You demanded to be able to play Switch games "how you want to" and as I've pointed out multiple times, you have no rights to play Switch games on anything other than the Switch.

28 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Please show me where I said you demanded emulation.

You demanded to be able to play Switch games "how you want to" and as I've pointed out multiple times, you have no rights to play Switch games on anything other than the Switch.

Well if you'd notice the underlined statement above, you clearly infer that I am demanding it. What I said is my preference. Preferring something one way to another is not being entitled. Once again I ask you to show me where I said I had the right to emulate it. Stating why I would do something doesn't mean I demand or have the right to do so.

Cant say i would agree that the current Citra 3DS emulator is fully functional. It still very much depends on the game and which of the many many many builds of Citra available, you have.

For example i've just tried out Monster Hunter Generations on Citra, all the 'offical' builds run like absolute crap, and many of the 'canary' and 'knightly' builds also run like crap. I've only found 1 build of Citra, pulled from youtube of all places, that just barely keeps emulation speed at 100%, drops now and then to 99 or 98 creating horrible sound stutter, but its playable.

Compare that to Dolphin, in which you can play even a demanding game like XenoBlade chornicles flawlessly, i'd say Citra still has some way to go. That being said, i do plan on giving Citra a chance, ill see how i get on with MHGen, its just a shame you cant use HD textures, running 3DS games at 10x the native resolution (4000x2400) makes them look soo much better, but the textures are still horrible :P

With that in mind, the Switch emulator probably wont be anywhere near playable for a good few years unless it turns out to be significantly easier to emulate.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 1/16/2018 at 7:38 AM, Master Disaster said:

Would it be ok to emulate current gen systems games you own?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

On 1/15/2018 at 4:46 AM, Trik'Stari said:

Or if they were smart, stop making consoles and just switch to PC and maybe handhelds.

Although If I'm honest I could not possibly care less about handhelds or mobile gaming in general.

And yet they keep printing money with their handheld hybrid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 1/15/2018 at 3:20 AM, Master Disaster said:

CEMU can do that right now, it's fairly convoluted but it works.

Basically you need a real Wii U which is signed into an NNID then you have to boot a CFW with a R/W kernel patch and dump all the files from the console that contain the NNID user information.

After that you import said files into CEMU and it connects to the Nintendo network.

Iirc there was an unofficial fork of Dolphin than could also do it however it didn't last long, the Devs dropped it when the Dolphin team made it clear they wouldn't be upstreaming the code into main builds.

The DS emulators didn't require much of anything and I believe at some point it was even generating friend ID's. Then they shut down their old network.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

On 1/14/2018 at 2:04 PM, TetraSky said:

Sometimes the games run better on emulators though.

Take the Breath of the Wild game, on WiiU, the game struggles to keep at a consistent framerate and can dip quite low(mostly Korok forest, pre 1.1.1 patch, it's not as bad now, but still not great).

While on the PC WiiU emulator, you can keep it at 4k 60fps if you have the hardware for it.

Emulators are great to get have a better experience for some games, you can make older games look newer with special filters, super sampling textures and what not. Also Quicksaves.

True.  But in this case, the Switch is portable.

Plus, having ISOs and ROMs falls into that o so gray area of how legal it is to have those.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:53 PM, The Benjamins said:

Would it be ok to emulate current gen systems games you own?

By my understanding, yes, as long as you own a copy.

Some emulators can fall into gray areas.  Like the PCSX emulator which you must have a working PS2 that you own to pull the BIOS to input into the emulator.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU