How important are headphones for gaming ?

Hello everyone,

before I come to the main topic, I just want to say, that my end-goal is to eliminate every technical disadvantage in games, mainly FPS games (PUBG, BF1 and COD WW2 at the moment).

PC, monitors, mouse + keyboard and a good internet connection are covered, only the sound part is missing.

So, I recently bought a soundcard from Soundblaster, the AE-5. That is also the reason why I switched from my Logitech G933 to regular headphones, the Sony MDR-1A. I can definitely say now, that the 7.1 features from my Logitech G933 are not that important when it comes to spotting enemies by sound.

The part where I am not really sure is, if the overall sound quality from the headphones makes a difference in spotting peoples footsteps or gunshots in the distance.

Since I switched from my G933 to normal headphones, it kinda seems better to spot people with my normal headphones without the surround-features.

And even if I didn't use the 7.1-function on my G933, spotting people with my Sony headphones works better overall. They also sound better while listening to music.

So what I am thinking now.......Sennheiser just announced their new high-end-model, the HD 820.

They will cost around 2400$ and launch this summer.

If I would buy them, would I be able to hear peoples footsteps even better and more detailed or not ?

Will it have an impact on my game ?

And if yes, are there any closed headphones you guys can recommend, which are between 400-1000$ ?

Because 2400$ is a lot of money after all.

And I also can't use open ones, because I stream and record my gameplay.

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

After a certain price point around 200-400 you wont be able to hear the difference, especially in games.

25 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

After a certain price point around 200-400 you wont be able to hear the difference, especially in games.

Unless you have audio training 

My life

Assuming you already know how to aim and position, it can offer a huge advantage when versing flankers or the like.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

You don't need to go to that point - I recommend something cheap like the beyerdynamic dt990 or a more low end - but still great sennheiser / audio technica pair. I dont understand you cant use open cans? 

subscribe to pewdiepie

Any decent stereo headphones go a long way for being able to tell the sound direction in games.

From my experience, the 7.1 / 5.1 headphone bullshit actually makes it more difficult to tell the sound direction over just using stereo as the software implementation is not very well done.

I prefer good stereo headphones over true 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup any day.

51 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

You don't need to go to that point - I recommend something cheap like the beyerdynamic dt990 or a more low end - but still great sennheiser / audio technica pair. I dont understand you cant use open cans? 

Thx for your recommendation.

And as I said, I am streaming and recording my gameplay, so the gamesound will be picked up by my mic when I talk.

44 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Any decent stereo headphones go a long way for being able to tell the sound direction in games.

From my experience, the 7.1 / 5.1 headphone bullshit actually makes it more difficult to tell the sound direction over just using stereo as the software implementation is not very well done.

I prefer good stereo headphones over true 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup any day.

Yeah, I agree with you. Stereo sounds the most natural.

Should have gotten the Z7 instead. And yes... those are really nice for the money. I wouldn't go higher than those.

57 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Should have gotten the Z7 instead. And yes... those are really nice for the money. I wouldn't go higher than those.

Which one are "nice for the money" ?

You mean the HD 820 ?

I have nearly the complete opposite perspective. Although I think having big angled open air drivers can help, most of the direction is determined by the mix. And having a good mix is usually a function of the virtual surround sound. Otherwise with stereo you only have 2 angles, and this limitation creates additional ambiguity in the mix.

HD 820... good lord no.... Probably just as overpriced as the OG 800s.

I will say they look sweet though.

1 hour ago, alphaproject said:

HD 820... good lord no.... Probably just as overpriced as the OG 800s.

I will say they look sweet though.

Can you recommend any headphones, which are high-end but under 1000$ ?

On 1/13/2018 at 11:47 AM, Merp83 said:

The sound leakage for some people, including myself is a complete dealbreaker. You can still get a solid soundstage without it.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

15 hours ago, Naruto1 said:

Look at the Sony MDR Z7 - I loves em... Great low end but not boomy. Great imaging too.

I would say Grado325e because they are so intense. Brutally bright. Some people hate them. Physically, they smash your ears a bit. But you will hear everything. Every little sound.

But you don't want open back headphones. Are you sure you can't find a mic that wont pick up the small amount if noise your cans will be leaking?

19 hours ago, Naruto1 said:

Check out this list here:

Gaming Headphone List

The guy who made the lists has Youtube reviews of all the headphones as well as sound demos.  I have personally picked a headphone based on his recommendation and have been pleased. 

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers

8 hours ago, alphaproject said:

Look at the Sony MDR Z7 - I loves em... Great low end but not boomy. Great imaging too.

They seem to be interesting. Thanks for the suggestion :)

3 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Check out this list here:

Gaming Headphone List

The guy who made the lists has Youtube reviews of all the headphones as well as sound demos.  I have personally picked a headphone based on his recommendation and have been pleased. 

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers

Thank you, that is a great list with a lot of details. Just what I needed :)

4 hours ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

I would say Grado325e because they are so intense. Brutally bright. Some people hate them. Physically, they smash your ears a bit. But you will hear everything. Every little sound.

But you don't want open back headphones. Are you sure you can't find a mic that wont pick up the small amount if noise your cans will be leaking?

I don't know how much open headphones leak, but I heard a few times already, that it's not suited for recording or streaming games.

Especially when you have a good mic, which pics up small details, it could be a problem then.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:48 AM, Naruto1 said:

I would go with AKG712s. If you really want to stretch and go to $1100, the TH900s are just an amazing beautiful headphone with an incredible sound, low end, and sound stage. Everything you want in a gaming headphone.

5 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

I would go with AKG712s. If you really want to stretch and go to $1100, the TH900s are just an amazing beautiful headphone with an incredible sound, low end, and sound stage. Everything you want in a gaming headphone.

Will definitely check them out, thanks for the recommendation !