EA Wants to Get Rid of Fair Matchmaking to Focus on Player Spending & Engagement with Psycological Manipulation

AlTech
Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Didn't Activision already patent this?  So are they going to license it to EA, or are they going to sue them?

Now that I'd like to see,  one game company proving to the court their in game match making algorithm is an important part of their revenue.  It'd be like admitting the black jack table is rigged. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It was already pretty bad with not getting all weapons/attachments available in Battlefield and now it's going to get worse. I've already experienced unfair matchmaking in Guild Wars 2 and have learnt to hate it. Because it's terrible. If EA is going this route I'll just go play other games.

And no one is surprised

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

more reason to not bother with any of their games. I'm going to stay on Dirty Bomb for my fps deathmatch fix, it may be free to play but at least it's doesn't try to fleece me every minute of the game and when i die it's simply because i didn't gitgud yet and there is not enough Bolshevik in my gene pool  

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

20 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

And no one is surprised

I'm surprised

Spoiler

That it took this long.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

You could shorten this article to,  "EA wants to get rid of players".

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm surprised

Hide contents

That it took this long.

Good joke. I like

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Didn't Activision already patent this?  So are they going to license it to EA, or are they going to sue them?

Nope. Activision patented different stuff.

One of the patents outlines how EA could manipulate your chances of winning a match based off of how likely you are to quit playing the game in the play session.

And the other relates to adjusting difficulty to increase player engagement (e.g. amp up the difficulty if you're finding it too easy or vice versa)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

When a company decidedly biased their game so that it is no longer fair and equal, then there should some regulation that forces the company to declare to the player that the game is working against them. I would think it is false advertising to market a game as simply a straight player-based competitive game, when the actual back-end of the game is working to disadvantage select players for the sake of getting them to want to spend more money.

And predatory practices, which is what this algorithm represents, are typically outlawed to begin with.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

And no one is surprised

The only thing that surprises me is that EA and Actizard bothered to patent them.  It's like declaring to the world that you're greedy and willing to do whatever it takes to get your customer's money.  The smart play is to be subtle about it, not to announce your intentions.  This is as subtle as a Mack truck in a china shop.

Damn EA what's next, Carl Jung on the fucking payroll to get more cash out of people?

"Yeah fuck developing fun games let's just exploit deep seeded fucking traumas to get em to keep fucking playing"

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 1/8/2018 at 8:16 PM, dizmo said:

EA isn't a bad company to work for if you make it into management. 

or if you have nothing to do with the games and work in network security. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Damn EA what's next, Carl Jung on the fucking payroll to get more cash out of people?

"Yeah fuck developing fun games let's just exploit deep seeded fucking traumas to get em to keep fucking playing"

I'm thinking Darth Vader in a corset and garters... and he whips players... I can't unthink that image. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

19 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

How gullible do EA think people are?

I think people are gullible enough outside of hardcore people who look at news. I think most players won't know that this is in effect, or might only find out if it turns out on the biggest news outlets / in mainstream media.

And honestly I'd rather this news did show up in mainstream media. Let's see how EA and Activision like the "games are designed to manipulate your kid into spending your money" stigma.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

So it seems a youtuber called YongYea has discovered some published EA papers documenting research into the manipulation of online matchmaking and "dynamic difficulty adjustment".

The short of it is that they are basing their online PVP interactions around the concept of boosting engagement (and presumably, loot box sales) over any perceived notion of maximum fun. A pretty sad state of affairs for what is still a 'game'. These papers were released back in April 2017 and they suggest that these practices have already been tested and/or implemented in a few games which have been released since that date. They were likely tested on some of EA's sports titles such as Fifa and there is evidence to suggest these principles will find their way into some upcoming titles such an Anthem and a yet unnamed Star Wars title.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/ea-has-tested-online-matchmaking-algorithms-to-favor-engagement-not-fairness/

Eh if it's the likes of those sports game I don't really care :/ 

TBH EA's sport titles have always been based on their micro-transactions n boxes anyway so I don't exactly see it being anything new. Even if it was added to their FPS series like Battlefront n Battlefield I don't see them fitting in unless it was added to the SW Battlefront 2 as it would fit it in the way the micro-trans n boxes are done on that game.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

1 minute ago, Alex Colson said:

Eh if it's the likes of those sports game I don't really care :/ 

TBH EA's sport titles have always been based on their micro-transactions n boxes anyway so I don't exactly see it being anything new. Even if it was added to their FPS series like Battlefront n Battlefield I don't see them fitting in unless it was added to the SW Battlefront 2 as it would fit it in the way the micro-trans n boxes are done on that game.

The article suggests that it seems likely that EA will apply similar methodology to upcoming games such as Anthem (which is already guaranteed to be a lootbox riddled mess) and an unnamed Star Wars title.

You are right though, this isn't exactly surprising, it just compounds the already well established reputation for EA's modus operandi of maximum profit at the expense of fun and/or fairness, which is a shame considering the IP's they ruin hold

If people use this to be negative towards Anthem sorry get ya head out your A**. Any open world game is gonna have some aspect of Micro-transactions, it being getting some materials or cosmetics then ya. Secondly Anthem was made by Bioware so I actually have high hopes that they kept EA's hand out of the cookie jar, So I'm still gonna buy that game more for Bioware than EA.

So F all the haters :D 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Hey now, I never said I wouldn't get Anthem - actually the concept is super interesting. That being said, Bioware aren't known for their stellar multiplayer game releases and I can think of quite a few games by them which involve loot boxes of dubious value...

1 minute ago, Farden said:

Hey now, I never said I wouldn't get Anthem - actually the concept is super interesting. That being said, Bioware aren't known for their stellar multiplayer game releases and I can think of quite a few games by them which involve loot boxes of dubious value...

But yeah got to remember Bioware are kinda in their element when it comes to open worlds (Mass effect) So I don't doubt they will do well on the exploration of stuff and the story line (If their is one). And Hey now I never pointed you out for not saying your gonna buy it. Just seen a lot of EA hate comments Shouting . "DON'T GIVE INTO EA's GREED DO NOT BUY THIS GAME"

which saddens me because I don't want to see Anthem be for nothing even though it sacrificed ME Andromeda to make it happen

4 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

which saddens me because I don't want to see Anthem be for nothing even though it sacrificed ME Andromeda to make it happen

This is a good point. I just wish Bioware could shake free from the EA overlords =(

1 minute ago, Farden said:

This is a good point. I just wish Bioware could shake free from the EA overlords =(

I'm use to these companys being like this, Activision is just as bad in their own way. So to me everyone making all this drama kinda pisses me off. Yes it is a BIG mistake that EA done but come on give them benefit of the doubt atleast. Activision as Black Ops III and now WWII which are two games heavy on the loot crate system along with them breaking MW Remastered by adding it to that. 

EA was kinda just following the scheme of things and got bit in the ass for doing so.

Ubiso--- sorry OoopsieSoft get haggled for their server maintenance yet they have moved passed it and have Revived Dying titles. RAINBOW SIX Siege got revived and is a high climbing games 3 years after release. Same with The Division, that game don horrible at start and has been brought back round may not be Best ever but it is playable and fun now.

My point is from my view all the people complaining and now nit picking at EA are looking for something to bring them down more when they have made One BIG mistake (That I know of)  

Just now, Farden said:

So it seems a youtuber called YongYea has discovered some published EA papers documenting research into the manipulation of online matchmaking and "dynamic difficulty adjustment".

The short of it is that they are basing their online PVP interactions around the concept of boosting engagement (and presumably, loot box sales) over any perceived notion of maximum fun. A pretty sad state of affairs for what is still a 'game'. These papers were released back in April 2017 and they suggest that these practices have already been tested and/or implemented in a few games which have been released since that date. They were likely tested on some of EA's sports titles such as Fifa and there is evidence to suggest these principles will find their way into some upcoming titles such an Anthem and a yet unnamed Star Wars title.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/ea-has-tested-online-matchmaking-algorithms-to-favor-engagement-not-fairness/

repost

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, Farden said:

Goddamnit I searched and everything

No worries, it happens.

I merged your thread with the original.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !