Apple faces 26+ class-actions over the iPhone battery fiasco

D13H4RD

Well, this certainly hadn’t gone well for them.

Apple is currently facing 26+ class action lawsuits filed by disgruntled iPhone users over Apple throttling iPhones based on battery health. 

The lawsuits include 24 class action complaints in the United States, with the latest two filed on Thursday by Marc Honigman and Lauri Sullivan-Stefanou in New York and Ohio respectively, according to electronic court records reviewed by MacRumors. Apple is also being sued in Israel and France. 

An excerpt from Sullivan-Stefanou's complaint:

Unbeknownst to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPhone 6s owners, Apple inserted code into iOS 10.2.1 that deliberately slowed down the processing performance of these phones by linking each phone's processing performance with its battery health. Absent the code inserted by Apple, the reduced battery capacity of these phones would not have negatively affected processing performance.

Many of the lawsuits demand Apple compensate all iPhone users who have experienced slowdowns, offer free battery replacements, refund customers who purchased brand new iPhones to regain maximum performance, and add info to iOS explaining how replacing an iPhone's battery can prevent slowdowns. 

The legal action comes after Apple's revelation it may at times dynamically manage the maximum performance of some older iPhone models with chemically aged batteries in order to prevent the devices from unexpectedly shutting down, an issue that can be made worse by cold temperatures or a low charge. 

Apple never mentioned the power management changes, which it calls a feature, when it released iOS 10.2.1 nearly a year ago. A month after the software update became available, Apple still only vaguely mentioned that it made "improvements"that resulted in a significant reduction in unexpected shutdowns. 

Apple only revealed exactly what the so-called "improvements" were after Primate Labs founder John Poole visualized that some iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 devices suddenly had lower benchmark scores starting with iOS 10.2.1 and iOS 11.2 respectively despite operating at maximum performance on previous versions. 

Poole's analysis was in response to a Reddit user who claimed his iPhone 6s was significantly faster after replacing the device's battery. The discussion generated over 1,000 comments, and reinforced an opinion held by some that Apple purposefully slows down older iPhones so customers buy newer ones. 

Honigman's complaint, edited very slightly for clarity, echoes this opinion:

Apple's intentional degradation of the iPhone's performance through the release of iOS impacted the usability of the device. Effectively, Apple has forced the obsolescence of iPhones by secretly diminishing their performance. Thus, Apple's admission has confirmed what iPhone users have long suspected – i.e., that Apple deliberately degrades the performance of older iPhone models through iOS updates to encourage users to buy new iPhones.

Apple has since issued an apology for its lack of communication, and it has reduced the price of battery replacements to $29 for iPhone 6 and newer through the end of 2018. Apple has also promised to release an iOS update early this year that will give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone's battery. 

Keep in mind that Apple is not permanently or persistently slowing down older iPhones. Even if your iPhone is affected, the performance limitations only happen intermittently, and only when the device is completing demanding tasks. 

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/05/apple-faces-23-lawsuits-for-iphone-slowdowns/

Honestly, while I feel that Apple’s intentions weren’t that sinister, they did themselves zero favors by not disclosing that information with customers in a proper manner. In fact, I’m willing to wager that the number of lawsuits would have been at least lower had there been a notification about the iPhone’s battery health, such as “iPhone’s battery is degraded and may require servicing”.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Good. Serves them right for doing it without giving the user notice, much less a way to circumvent it if they so chosen.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Apple: "no, this is a feature, we planned this all along to make your phone stable. Yes, that's exactly what we did. Definitely not planned obsolescence, no way nuh uh."

Looks like that went smoothly am I right?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Yeah, they really never did it well. They did say they are adding someway to monitor when the battery gets bad and the CPU is clocked down, but who knows when that will be coming, and I hope they make it so you can stop it from doing that if you just want to deal with the lower battery life, if a feature like that can be added.

I have always thought they have done something like this to force users to buy a new phone after a couple of years, but I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I wonder how many will stand and how many will just be thrown into each other or how many will fail. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Well.. We knew this was coming. I just didn't expect so many in such a short space of time. I'm guessing at least half that are accepted will be settled outside

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

In other news, people love money and think lawsuits are an easy way to profit.  Generally-speaking, they may be right in this instance.

10 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

In other news, people love money and think lawsuits are an easy way to profit.  Generally-speaking, they may be right in this instance.

It’s more to do with how they did so without the users knowing.

Granted, they have every right to be pissed off. I get the reasons behind it, but even so, doing it without people knowing is a dickish move.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'm still in the minority, but I think Apple tried to do good. I'd rather lose perf over years than increase the chance of complete failure.

But the "feature" should've been disclosed from the start.

3 hours ago, bob345 said:

Apple: "no, this is a feature, we planned this all along to make your phone stable. Yes, that's exactly what we did. Definitely not planned obsolescence, no way nuh uh."

They really should have explained it better.

Or tell users beforehand

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I wonder how many will stand and how many will just be thrown into each other or how many will fail. 

No one cares when Microsoft introduced some heavy process killing when running on battery but apple do it and everyone loses their shit.

Lots of devices slow down when running on battery. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

21 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

No one cares when Microsoft introduced some heavy process killing when running on battery but apple do it and everyone loses their shit.

Such as what exactly? 

33 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I think what they mean is that Apple slows the device down from peak performance over time as the battery degrades in order to avoid the device from suddenly shutting off due to the battery being unable to supply the required wattage as it used to.

The problem is that Apple did so without explaining to the user over what’s happening. It was pretty much snuck in.

Their intentions may not be as sinister, but you can’t deny that the way they put that piece of code in without explaining to their customers over what is happening until confronted is not doing them any favors.

34 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I think what they mean is that Apple slows the device down from peak performance over time as the battery degrades in order to avoid the device from suddenly shutting off due to the battery being unable to supply the required wattage as it used to.

The problem is that Apple did so without explaining to the user over what’s happening. It was pretty much snuck in.

Their intentions may not be as sinister, but you can’t deny that the way they put that piece of code in without explaining to their customers over what is happening until confronted is not doing them any favors.

It also doesn't help that this shows their previous statements about non removable batteries are straight up lies and that the batteries themselves were not up to the task - if it gets to the point where the phone might shut down after little more than a year of use then clearly it wasn't designed very well. They decided to go for an insufficient battery in order to make it oh so slim but, since they still wanted those sweet synthetic benchmark scores, they didn't dial down the cpu's performance accordingly. Planned obsolescence or not, this is a shady marketing practice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

is it just me thinking that if they really only cared about consumer they would made it easy to swap batteries even if only their batteries could work on the phones.

A shitty and obvious planned obsolescence move.

34 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It also doesn't help that this shows their previous statements about non removable batteries are straight up lies and that the batteries themselves were not up to the task - if it gets to the point where the phone might shut down after little more than a year of use then clearly it wasn't designed very well. They decided to go for an insufficient battery in order to make it oh so slim but, since they still wanted those sweet synthetic benchmark scores, they didn't dial down the cpu's performance accordingly. Planned obsolescence or not, this is a shady marketing practice.

500 recharge cycles is a joke, especially when the much smaller Apple Watch has double of that. 

I kinda want to tell Motorola the same since they boasted that they don't slow down phones due to battery degradation but my Moto Z was thermal throttling all the way and the battery is shot as a result, forcing the phone to shut off at 35%.

33 minutes ago, asus killer said:

is it just me thinking that if they really only cared about consumer they would made it easy to swap batteries even if only their batteries could work on the phones.

Unfortunately, sealed batteries are a trend now. 

It's kinda funny because the battery on my Note8 is much harder to replace than on an iPhone 6 and 6s (same on the 7 but you have a water resistant seal to worry about) 

The real problem is getting Apple to replace the battery since they will refuse it if it passes whatever BS diagnostics they have, even if you offer to pay for it 

13 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Unfortunately, sealed batteries are a trend now. 

It's kinda funny because the battery on my Note8 is much harder to replace than on an iPhone 6 and 6s (same on the 7 but you have a water resistant seal to worry about) 

The real problem is getting Apple to replace the battery since they will refuse it if it passes whatever BS diagnostics they have, even if you offer to pay for it 

i was not trashing Apple for being Apple. I hate that my android phone does not let me easy swap my battery. I hate the trend. That on top of what Apple did makes it worst i guess. It has to be my battery, you cannot open it, i will make it as hard as i can,... are all shitty moves.

BTW you meant sealed phones not sealed batteries i guess.

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i was not trashing Apple for being Apple. I hate that my android phone does not let me easy swap my battery. I hate the trend. That on top of what Apple did makes it worst i guess. It has to be my battery, you cannot open it, i will make it as hard as i can,... are all shitty moves.

BTW you meant sealed phones not sealed batteries i guess.

You can blame aesthetics for that trend. 

Another reason why glass phones are a thing. 

On 06/01/2018 at 6:25 AM, bob345 said:

23 hours ago, asus killer said:

"planned obsolescence" and yet my 6+ lasted 4 years, if that was there intention then there shit at it. 

apple deserve to get sued. they hid this from the consumer for a reason, they knew people would be pissed. BUT all this planned obsolescence is BS, if your gonna get people to upgrade then you want your phone to last the length of the contract and no longer, look at most android phones. they get 2 years of support (if your lucky) then its left in the cold.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Laughable. Just a bunch of idiots trying to get money.

Apple has adjusted power management like this before in the past and no-one blinked an eye.

I'm pretty sure these people can afford the 29 pounds to get a replacement. A whole class action to get out of 29 pounds!

"Effectively, Apple has forced the obsolescence of iPhones by secretly diminishing their performance" - absolutely the opposite of what they do.

Honigman has done no reasearch at all. Disgrace.

14 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Totally agree...

Desktop Specs

Spoiler

Desktop:

CPU Intel i9-7900x - Motherboard Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9 - GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition - Boot Disk Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD - 2nd Disk Samsung 850 Evo 2 TB SATA SSD - Ram 32 GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 C16 - Case NZXT H440 White/Black - PSU NZXT HALE82 V2 700W - CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken AIO X62 280mm - Fans 3 x NZXT AER RGB 140 mm - RGB Controller NZXT HUE+ - Internal USB Hub NZXT - Monitor Samsung U28E850R LED 4K Monitor 60 Hz @ 1440p - Audio Creative Sound Blaster X7 DAC/AMP - Headphones Sennheiser HD650, Bose QuietControl 30, and Bose QuietComfort 35 - Optical Drives Pioneer BD-RW BDR-UD03 (USB 3) and Hitachi-LG BD-RE BU40N (USB 3) - Keyboard EMISH K8 104 Keys Mechanical Gaming Keyboard LED Backlit - Mouse EMISH Gaming Mouse LED Backlit - Chair AkRacing Gaming Chair Deluxe Full Leather Onyx Black - OS MS Windows 10 X64 Pro

File Storage:

OS LT unRaid 6.3.5 Pro  - CPU Intel Xeon 1230 V5 - Motherboard Supermicro X11SAT-F-O - Ram Samsung 16 GB (2x8) DDR4-2133 ECC Un-Buffer - Case NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable RPC-4224 - Controller LSI 3 x 9211-8i  - PSU Seasonic 1000 W Prime (80 + Platinum) - Fans Noctua 3 x 120 mm & 2 x 80 mm - HDDs WD Red 5 x 10 TB & 8 x 8 TB (Dual Parity)

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple has adjusted power management like this before in the past and no-one blinked an eye.

I'm pretty sure these people can afford the 29 pounds to get a replacement. A whole class action to get out of 29 pounds!

"Effectively, Apple has forced the obsolescence of iPhones by secretly diminishing their performance" - absolutely the opposite of what they do.

Honigman has done no reasearch at all. Disgrace.

TBH, it's a lot more to do with how they did this without prior consent.

And while I do understand why Apple did them, the batteries used in the iPhone have a maximum rated recharge cycle of 500, which is honestly pathetic when you compare it to the smaller Apple Watch, which has a maximum rated recharge cycle of 1000.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:25 AM, bob345 said:

Planned obsolescence doesn't make sense considering the plus models are unaffected. Apple most likely was doing this for battery life and stability reasons as they claim.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Planned obsolescence doesn't make sense considering the plus models are unaffected. Apple most likely was doing this for battery life and stability reasons as they claim.

Aren't all iPhone models from the 6 to the 7 affected?

I mean, they use the same type of batteries but with different capacities.