Official responses Meltdown & Spectre vunlerability

NumLock21

Meltdown-Spectre-768x480.png.16d0beee16896646c4e976f165d8bf8e.png

With the recent security flaw discovered to strongly affect Intel processors, which range from current ones to those that span the past decade, they have made a official response on this made. Also include are official response from AMD, Google, whom are the ones who have discovered this vunlerability, ARM, and Microsoft. The findings weren't suppose to be released until January 9th 2018, under a NDA. Due ot the importance of this info, the NDA was abruptly ended and the info is now released.

Google

The Project Zero researcher, Jann Horn, demonstrated that malicious actors could take advantage of speculative execution to read system memory that should have been inaccessible. For example, an unauthorized party may read sensitive information in the system’s memory such as passwords, encryption keys, or sensitive information open in applications. Testing also showed that an attack running on one virtual machine was able to access the physical memory of the host machine, and through that, gain read-access to the memory of a different virtual machine on the same host.

As soon as we learned of this new class of attack, our security and product development teams mobilized to defend Google’s systems and our users’ data. We have updated our systems and affected products to protect against this new type of attack. We also collaborated with hardware and software manufacturers across the industry to help protect their users and the broader web. These efforts have included collaborative analysis and the development of novel mitigations.

ARM

This method requires malware running locally and could result in data being accessed from privileged memory. Our Cortex-M processors, which are pervasive in low-power, connected IoT devices, are not impacted.

AMD

There has been recent press coverage regarding a potential security issue related to modern microprocessors and speculative execution. Information security is a priority at AMD, and our security architects follow the technology ecosystem closely for new threats. The research described was performed in a controlled, dedicated lab environment by a highly knowledgeable team with detailed, non-public information about the processors targeted.
The described threat has not been seen in the public domain.
When AMD learned that researchers had discovered a new CPU attack targeting the speculative execution functionality used by multiple chip companies’ products, we immediately engaged across the ecosystem to address the teams’ findings.

Intel

Intel and other technology companies have been made aware of new security research describing software analysis methods that, when used for malicious purposes, have the potential to improperly gather sensitive data from computing devices that are operating as designed. Intel believes these exploits do not have the potential to corrupt, modify or delete data.
Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a “bug” or a “flaw” and are unique to Intel products are incorrect. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

Intel is committed to product and customer security and is working closely with many other technology companies, including AMD, ARM Holdings and several operating system vendors, to develop an industry-wide approach to resolve this issue promptly and constructively.

Intel is committed to the industry best practice of responsible disclosure of potential security issues, which is why Intel and other vendors had planned to disclose this issue next week when more software and firmware updates will be available. However, Intel is making this statement today because of the current inaccurate media reports.

Microsoft

We’re aware of this industry-wide issue and have been working closely with chip manufacturers to develop and test mitigations to protect our customers. We are in the process of deploying mitigations to cloud services and have also released security updates to protect Windows customers against vulnerabilities affecting supported hardware chips from Intel, ARM, and AMD. We have not received any information to indicate that these vulnerabilities had been used to attack our customers.

https://videocardz.com/74580/amd-arm-google-intel-and-microsoft-issue-official-statements-on-discovered-security-flaws

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I already heard of this but am just wondering how they would get onto the system (if this was released of course). Is it downloaded to the pc onto the os and then attacks the kernel?

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Just now, Vandorlot said:

I already heard of this but am just wondering how they would get onto the system (if this was released of course). Is it downloaded to the pc onto the os and then attacks the kernel?

Sounds that way, according to ARM

This method requires malware running locally

So basically the same rules as usual for keeping your PC clean and malware-free, you'll basically be fine(other than the performance hit from patching this).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Patch from Microsoft. Manual download and install

• •    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is receiving KB4056892 (Build 16299.192)
  • •    Windows 10 Creators Update Version 17033 gets KB4056891 (Build 15063.850)
  • •    Version 1607 is getting KB4056890 (Build 14393.2007)
  • •    1511 receives KB4056888 (Build 10586.1356) – for enterprise and education only.
  • •    The original Windows 10 version is receiving KB4056893 (Build 10240.17738) – for enterprise only.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

At least 1 of the flaws can be exploited through javascript already, it is expected that more and different types will follow, so just visiting a website could be enough. Update ur browsers as well ?

I have no signature

Yay. Patch your shit and be done with it.

Imagine that.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Imagine that.

just like everything else that people have been losing their minds over. cant wait until the threads about this stop.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

while we're on the topic of official responses, Apple released their response 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

Security researchers have recently uncovered security issues known by two names, Meltdown and Spectre. These issues apply to all modern processors and affect nearly all computing devices and operating systems. All Mac systems and iOS devices are affected, but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time. Since exploiting many of these issues requires a malicious app to be loaded on your Mac or iOS device, we recommend downloading software only from trusted sources such as the App Store. Apple has already released mitigations in iOS 11.2, macOS 10.13.2, and tvOS 11.2 to help defend against Meltdown. Apple Watch is not affected by Meltdown. In the coming days we plan to release mitigations in Safari to help defend against Spectre. We continue to develop and test further mitigations for these issues and will release them in upcoming updates of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

3 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

just like everything else that people have been losing their minds over. cant wait until the threads about this stop.

Same....bugs happen. Not the end of the world. 

37 minutes ago, Helly said:

At least 1 of the flaws can be exploited through javascript already, it is expected that more and different types will follow, so just visiting a website could be enough. Update ur browsers as well ?

Funnily enough, chrome isn't updated yet, but Edge, Firefox, and Internet Explorer are all safe.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

26 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Imagine that.

Patches only work for meltdown though...

Spectre AFAIK is a hardware-level bug that can't be mitigated in software at all, so we need a new CPU architecture to fix that one.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Funnily enough, chrome isn't updated yet, but Edge, Firefox, and Internet Explorer are all safe.

Edge and Internet Explorer are actually almost constantly "safer" than any other main-stream browsers (at least since the Win 8 era). They also tend to be the slowest heh.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Patches only work for meltdown though...

Spectre AFAIK is a hardware-level bug that can't be mitigated in software at all, so we need a new CPU architecture to fix that one.

Microcode updates are expected to fix all of that regardless. And there are software patches, they just don't technically fix the actual issue, but rather attempt to make the exploit unreachable. Both methods are the spaces in which perhaps there will be higher levels of performance degradation, but I don't expect significant impact regardless.

Intel's official statement is that the sets of fixes already out and being pushed over the next short time patches all of the vulnerabilities.

Hardware fixes probably won't come until the generation after this one though.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I noticed that no one in any reaction speaks of a windows 7(or 8.1 for that matter) update. Anyone got a link for that if it exists? Or is it no longer getting security updates? Seems like a shitty thing considering so many people still use it (not me which is why i ask for a link instead of searching for it myself :P). Microsoft using all this for another chance at pushing ppl to win10 maybe?

I have no signature

4 minutes ago, RefresherMan said:

Does this actually give me a valid reason to upgrade to W10 now?

If you're using Windows 95 or below then you're fine and this doesn't affect you.

Just now, MaxBunny said:

If you're using Windows 95 or below then you're fine and this doesn't affect you.

I'm on Windows 7 though, and a lot of other people are too

8 minutes ago, RefresherMan said:

I'm on Windows 7 though, and a lot of other people are too

Then you're at risk, W7 ain't here to save your ass this time.

2 hours ago, Matu20 said:

Then you're at risk, W7 ain't here to save your ass this time.

Actually, I just installed the patch mate :)

3462cbeba0d70bc4fa18dc8a014e447b.png

W7 for life, or until Microsoft stops supporting it haha.

3 minutes ago, RefresherMan said:

Actually, I just installed the patch mate :)

3462cbeba0d70bc4fa18dc8a014e447b.png

W7 for life, or until Microsoft stops supporting it haha.

And then you'll switch to a real man's OS, like OpenSUSE.

22 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

And then you'll switch to a real man's OS, like OpenSUSE.

Hehe. I actually do some game development in the Godot engine. And it loves Linux, in fact, I tried it on Linux Mint and scene previewing was 100ms faster. (Very noticeable, compared to Windows)

6 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Imagine that.

Patch a hole so others cant steal your data but at the same time it makes an another hole for the maker of the patch, or leave open the original hole... I couldnt ask for better choices. /s

6 hours ago, Helly said:

Dammit. Thanks for the heads up. I'll just have to update windows asap and hope for the best.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

HPE has also released a statement to their internal users and partners.

Both Intel and AMD proactively contacted HPE and they are working on fixes right now.

They expect "very minimal impact to system performance" but also say that "any slower performance resulting from the OS and microprocessor patch updates will vary based on the OS and workload".

I am more concerned about my android phone, does this affect it also? I hear nothing about patches for phones.