CNBC says Nvidia not affected by the leak. NO SHIT

EshanKumar
8 hours ago, EshanKumar said:

Exact words from CNBC website. I mean they are technically not wrong because GPU architecture is definitely different from CPU architecture, which is affected by this flaw, but CNBC seriously needs to hire a new analyst. 

Orignal article: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/intels-chip-problem-may-be-a-tailwind-for-amd-nvidia-sales-analyst.html

Screenshot 2018-01-05 at 3.03.01 AM.png

I bet you the tegra chips are affected by some of the 3 exploits.

Anyone investing short term in stocks based on tech news articles (accurate or not) is probably in for a hard lesson.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

31 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

I bet you the tegra chips are affected by some of the 3 exploits.

I think they are ARM based? So yes

:)

„I‘m very pleased to find that my fridge and rear tire isn‘t affected by the hole in my front tire.“

Great reporting. 10/10 Would analyse again

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Y'all that Nvidia package ARM x86-64 cores in the Nintendo Switches APU right??? 

Edited by Cheddle

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

In other news. Water is wet

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 hours ago, EshanKumar said:

Yes. And that is what bothers me. They are spreading misinformation, which can have various affects such as increasing share prices, etc. And when investors realize this news has no true basis, it can lead to a crash. Anyways, misinformation is misinformation, let it be Ars Technica or CNBC.

They most likely just wanted to make sure investors of nvidia know that they aren't affected by the issue. I mean they aren't wrong so unless it matters for some reason that I am unaware of I think it's fine. I mean sometimes you have to tell people things are fine even though it obvious you. 

What I find funny is that people are mocking this article because it's "obvious", but it is actually wrong. 

Both AMD and Nvidia have products which are vulnerable to at least some of the security holes announced. 

47 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What I find funny is that people are mocking this article because it's "obvious", but it is actually wrong. 

Both AMD and Nvidia have products which are vulnerable to at least some of the security holes announced. 

Still comparing apples to oranges. By that logic Samsung, IBM and Apple should be included as well.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

51 minutes ago, Vode said:

Still comparing apples to oranges. By that logic Samsung, IBM and Apple should be included as well.

Not sure about IBM, but yes Samsung and Apple should probably be included as well.

Not sure why you say it's apples and oranges though. The article only specifies "chips", not CPUs or GPUs. Both AMD and Nvidia makes CPUs, and they are vulnerable.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure about IBM, but yes Samsung and Apple should probably be included as well.

Not sure why you say it's apples and oranges though. The article only specifies "chips", not CPUs or GPUs. Both AMD and Nvidia makes CPUs, and they are vulnerable.

Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't been able to dig real far into it, due to not being a work. However, from what I have been relayed so far Power systems are not known to be affected by these vulnerabilities.They are definitely in the process of checking different systems though. Time will tell. My question becomes of whether their Z systems are affected.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

LTT, if you see mockery it's almost certainly coming from ignorance.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

the article is a disgrace for whoever wrote it, and it deserves mockery in xxxl size. It implies that the Intel problem that does not affect only Intel may boost Nvidia sales, in a context of investors, where should they put they're money. I doubt anyone is gonna exchange it's Intel CPU for a Nvidia product or change a purchase intent from Intel to Nvidia. how is this gonna boost Nvidia sales as implied?

I get your point but still, the implication made is mockery deserving. :D

53 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It‘s still kinda weird to namedrop Nvidia in a CPU context (let’s be honest that’s hat the whole ordeal is about) because it‘s not a consumer CPU you can‘t buy one nor is it in the majority of devices.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

But NVIDIA have ARM chips, no? It's probably more about that than the GPUs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

the article is a disgrace for whoever wrote it, and it deserves mockery in xxxl size.

Why? He's just a guy reporting on the findings of security and economic analysts of Mizuho Securities.

16 hours ago, EshanKumar said:

Exact words from CNBC website. I mean they are technically not wrong because GPU architecture is definitely different from CPU architecture, which is affected by this flaw, but CNBC seriously needs to hire a new analyst. 

Orignal article: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/intels-chip-problem-may-be-a-tailwind-for-amd-nvidia-sales-analyst.html

Screenshot 2018-01-05 at 3.03.01 AM.png

You know that NVIDIA makes CPU's, right?

More specifically, Tegra branded SoC's (System on Chip), which contain ARM CPU's.

Which would potentially make them vulnerable to Spectre variants 1 and 2, but NOT vulnerable to Meltdown, which is probably what the article was referring to.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, Vode said:

It‘s still kinda weird to namedrop Nvidia in a CPU context (let’s be honest that’s hat the whole ordeal is about) because it‘s not a consumer CPU you can‘t buy one nor is it in the majority of devices.

But they do make consumer CPU. It might not be in a majority of devices but I mean, it's in the Shield Android TV, Google Pixel C, Nintendo Switch, a few Chromebooks, to name some recent ones, and if you go back further it's in even more devices.

37 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But they do make consumer CPU. It might not be in a majority of devices but I mean, it's in the Shield Android TV, Google Pixel C, Nintendo Switch, a few Chromebooks, to name some recent ones, and if you go back further it's in even more devices.

Come on you know it‘s a stretch to mention them in the same breath as the big boys. 

It‘s not like the average consumer is going to buy an Android TV or Switch because of Meltdown and spectre. ?

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

31 minutes ago, Vode said:

Come on you know it‘s a stretch to mention them in the same breath as the big boys. 

It‘s not like the average consumer is going to buy an Android TV or Switch because of Meltdown and spectre. ?

Of course no average consumer is going to buy any of the things listed because of Spectre, because the things listed are also vulnerable to it.

Anyway I don't get your point.

People are mocking the article because they think the info is obvious, but as a matter of fact the article is wrong. AMD and Nvidia both have chips which are vulnerable.

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Of course no average consumer is going to buy any of the things listed because of Spectre, because the things listed are also vulnerable to it.

Anyway I don't get your point.

People are mocking the article because they think the info is obvious, but as a matter of fact the article is wrong. AMD and Nvidia both have chips which are vulnerable.

I don‘t disagree with your point. The title of the thread is kinda dumb. You are correct in pointing out the fallacy of mocking the thread because it‘s obvious.

My point is the article is still kind of funny for tossing Nvidia specifically in there when they don‘t have their own architecture, are using ARM, which a lot of other companies do as well and have almost no marketshare.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

11 hours ago, Cheddle said:

Y'all that Nvidia package ARM x86-64 cores in the Nintendo Switches APU right??? 

Think about what you just wrote.

"Arm x86-64" cores.

I think you meant "ARMv8-A 64/32" cores. The Switch has a Tegra X1 inside. The Tegra X1 has 4x Cortex A57 cores, and 4x Cortex A53 cores.

Both of those core types are ARMv8 64-bit CPU's.

x86 is a specific architecture type, used by Intel, AMD, and VIA. x86 is a CISC type architecture, while ARMv8 is a RISC type architecture.

Maybe you were thinking of NVIDIA's Project Denver, which supposedly could do real time x86 translations into ARMv8?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Think about what you just wrote.

"Arm x86-64" cores.

I think you meant "ARMv8-A 64/32" cores. The Switch has a Tegra X1 inside. The Tegra X1 has 4x Cortex A57 cores, and 4x Cortex A53 cores.

Both of those core types are ARMv8 64-bit CPU's.

x86 is a specific architecture type, used by Intel, AMD, and VIA. x86 is a CISC type architecture, while ARMv8 is a RISC type architecture.

Maybe you were thinking of NVIDIA's Project Denver, which supposedly could do real time x86 translations into ARMv8?

Is the Tegra X1 an ARM or an NVIDIA product?

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.